BOZ

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: BOZ

Post by Do_Checkor »

Brilliant Rob!

So that everyone knows: The BOZ currently don't free up slots for human players so I've set it the way that only 4 BOZ are in that server while I have 8 slots overall opened (by a belated setmaxplayers command).
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

A new version to fix the problem that the BOZ didn't free up player slots has been installed and tested OK. Please post some feedback if you run into any problems! :-)
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Why is it set back to ascent?
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

I have added Spawn and Type killing options and sent to Checkor. Spawn killing is configurable atm through the ini file, type killing is simply on atm. Out of time...gotta get some sleep.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Havn't had a chance to play em yet, and I see none up =/.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

The server is back up flip! You must have checked within the 10 minutes where I was reconfiguring the set to include the new settings :-)

For this new testing period I am changing levels quite often to fit the testers taste. Sorry Behe :-) I will definitely get back to the missions you suggested once the system proves to work as expected.

OK so the settings should be like this:

BOZ should not attack a typing player (via F8 ) after 2 seconds of the last fire (might be extended in the future - if possible).

BOZ should leave a player at least 3 seconds time before attacking after a (re-)spawn. Marcellus and Butch are exceptions on this and might fire straight away.

Dodging skill is now individual and should be similar to the aim skills. Exceptions are : BuddyHolly (dodges well, aims bad) and Jimmy (aims well but dodges bad).
Bagheera
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Bagheera »

Hehe they fire missiles now..I got my work cut out for me now...xD

Dont know if this has been dicussed yet, and i havent tested the new version but theres 2 things i noticed about the BOZ from the previous versions that were a bit of a pain...

D3's quads have a lot of funky coding behind them. While they SHOULD increase your laser's firepower x2 i think they only do it about 1.5 times. (ive tested with level mods) and they also reduce the fire rate slightly. I don't think the BOZ use that coding at all....pay attention the the rof of your quads and the quads of say a tank the next time you play one....you'll notice a huge difference..

Also it seems like they can rapid fire fully charged fusion. Nearly every fusion shot from a boz is almost always fully or nearly fully charged even tho you KNOW just from the short amount of time they fired the last shot it cant possibly be even partially charged
The BP Pilot.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Bagheera wrote:Hehe they fire missiles now..I got my work cut out for me now...xD

Dont know if this has been dicussed yet, and i havent tested the new version but theres 2 things i noticed about the BOZ from the previous versions that were a bit of a pain...

D3's quads have a lot of funky coding behind them. While they SHOULD increase your laser's firepower x2 i think they only do it about 1.5 times. (ive tested with level mods) and they also reduce the fire rate slightly. I don't think the BOZ use that coding at all....pay attention the the rof of your quads and the quads of say a tank the next time you play one....you'll notice a huge difference..

Also it seems like they can rapid fire fully charged fusion. Nearly every fusion shot from a boz is almost always fully or nearly fully charged even tho you KNOW just from the short amount of time they fired the last shot it cant possibly be even partially charged
I actually introduced the fusion charge bug by accident in the last release. It is fixed now and the botz now have another interesting behavior. Nice catch!

The quad laser vs regular lasers does appear to be fine. I have a weapon fire delay that is based on presence of quads, and anticheat should kick the AI player if they were firing too fast. That is one thing AC is very good at.

Also added type stop fire delay as configurable option so server ops can configure how long after a players starts typing, they become a non-target. This can also be set to always a target (typekiller)

Enjoy peeps! And props to Checkor for hosting the BOTZ!
pipsqueak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak »

They fire secondaries now! As if I didn't have enough problems with the primaries!
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Heh, it seems like everytime I get some free time, the BOZ are goners :)
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

Indika5 once more...

My Display died out the other day, my NAS has got some issues and now one of my Laptops died out. I'm sorry but I need a couple of days to buy and rebuild here - that's why I got a little silent. Unfortunately I barely got any feedback on the recent changes, too. C'mon guys - help me out with some testing on the recent additions ( type killing and spawn killing) :-)
Freakster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Freakster »

I like the change to Stadium. Whenever that was done. I still see the BOZ are still blood seeking though :x
This line is true!
The line above this line, is false.

My in-game name is Freakster as well.

Warning: Use of improper English imminant, it's not my primary language.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Hmm... I finally figured out why I can never get any kills on the BOZ -- why the level is always a death-fest of me.

I was so bad at D3 for so long, I developed a playstyle of tricking my opponents into letting themselves get killed -- because I've never been good enough to just use the weapons like everyone else. Sometimes my aim is much worse, sometimes I just can't dodge... yadda yadda yadda. So I fake you out and fool you into letting me kill you (and for the longest time I didn't really know that's what I was doing).

So the problem with the BOZ, for me, is that they have no minds to fool! I can't trick them because they're AI. And that's could be why when I do kill them it's so unsatisfying -- it's only because the server decided to let me get a kill.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Oh... did I mention I made up a backstory for them?
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Alter-Fox wrote:Oh... did I mention I made up a backstory for them?
Interesting...do post it
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Well...

Mia is the daughter of Honeybunny and either Fabio (yes I call him that) or Lance. Both Fabio and Lance are convinced that they are Mia's father and this started a multi-lifetime, deadly feud between them. Pumpkin is Fabio's legit son from a different marriage, who was convince to join the battle by his father even though he didn't want to. Honeybunny didn't want them to fight at all so she put a curse on all the family (and Fabio/Pumpkin or Lance, since no one knows which of them is in the family and which isn't), including herself. The curse causes them to be endlessly reincarnated until either Fabio or Lance dies peacefully. This didn't work, so Honeybunny joined the fight herself to try and stop them.
Meanwhile, Mia is a murderous psychopath who has no problem killing either her mother, her father, or her possible half-brother. Considering how her father is acting (whichever one he is), she's probably made him proud.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Alter-Fox wrote:Well...

Mia is the daughter of Honeybunny and either Fabio (yes I call him that) or Lance. Both Fabio and Lance are convinced that they are Mia's father and this started a multi-lifetime, deadly feud between them. Pumpkin is Fabio's legit son from a different marriage, who was convince to join the battle by his father even though he didn't want to. Honeybunny didn't want them to fight at all so she put a curse on all the family (and Fabio/Pumpkin or Lance, since no one knows which of them is in the family and which isn't), including herself. The curse causes them to be endlessly reincarnated until either Fabio or Lance dies peacefully. This didn't work, so Honeybunny joined the fight herself to try and stop them.
Meanwhile, Mia is a murderous psychopath who has no problem killing either her mother, her father, or her possible half-brother. Considering how her father is acting (whichever one he is), she's probably made him proud.
Nice!
Terminal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Terminal »

If it's not too much to ask, could we get an American server running a BOZ game?
roncli
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by roncli »

Played these bots tonight for the first time. They're very impressive, way better than the ones in the old Domination mod. The pyro was the only ship, including my skippy feenii, at 50% efficiency on the one game in Ascent I played all the way to 100. They tend to do poorly with napalm rockets and mortars, which lead to 25-35 suicides a piece. (I had 9 by comparison.)

They are also susceptible in Ascent to going down a long hallway where there is a hole in the floor at the end, but never taking the hole... meaning if you saw a bot go down that hallway, you had em trapped. I will admit to using that to my advantage more than a few times. :)
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

FYI: I am running a second BOZ server on Descentforum.NET 4.09 - which basically is the rig of www.Descentforum.DE - NOT the same machine as the other Descentforum.NET 3.XX games / www.Descentforum.NET. The Descentforum.NET 4 server is not very powerful (but a hosted server as well) - so weird effects might be possible - well - and lag of course.

Also I'm still open for level / setting suggestions :)

Thanks!
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Hey checkor, mind changing one of the BOZ levels to D-Day? and the other to Vamped?
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

No, I don't mind - I'll give it a go straight away :)
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Thanks man, i appreciate it