Subway Dancer \"The RIGHT Way\"

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Subway Dancer \"The RIGHT Way\"

Post by Sickone »

Subway NO MOD is/was up today... Now that was fun.
Had some great gaming. I wish is was always like
that. It played nicely and everyone agreed it
was better that way.

PLease, oh please... leave it NO MOD
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

I prefer \"No-Mod\" as well. Great level with the right loadouts.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

That was my server. :D

No mods are the best. Although, I was running a Table file that makes a few changes. Fusion has been downsized slightly to fit the actual size of the blobs. Microwave has recoil now (which should slow down a BP. Others shouldn't have too much of a problem.) MD has less ammo, you get less ammo, slightly less damage, more recoil. All weapons except blue lasers use parent velocity. Concs do more damage (It's a rocket. They are supposed to do more damage than most things). Frag shrapnel does less damage (honestly, one bit of it does more damage than an explosive tipped, high speed vauss round.) Mega missiles are no longer made in China (bigger explosion, but not as large as D1/D2's). Magnum and Phoenix size tweaked just a pint. Napalm cannon does more damage and shoots farther. Napalm rocket blob is now smaller in hopes of avoiding common problems with lag, not inviza flame, but flame that is there, but is actually a little more in the way than it appeares. Super lasers do slightly more damage. Blue laser sounds like Lv 3 laser. Super laser sounds like Lv 5 laser. Missiles from a Cyclone pack are now much faster (Don't know if they are still drunk). I think I upgraded the damage of each explosive mine.

I'm thinking of upgrading the speed of all ships. They go just way too slow. They move slower than the GX. Only the Phoenix moves as fast as the GX. Now if only they would move fast and like a fighter outside...

Shark robots no longer hurt like a b**** (I had to do something).

Comments and reccomondations are welcome.

You are welcome. ;)

Hey, were you all able to see the text changes like \"??? was incinirated by ???'s napalm rocket because of lag!\" ?
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I played that today too.

Do you think someone should put in some Sharcs (that's their official name, from the D3 Strategy Guide) and make it robo-anarchy compatible? There are far too few of those levels, imo.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Subway Dancer \"The RIGHT Way\"

Post by Floyd »

Sickone wrote:PLease, oh please... leave it NO MOD
http://www.descentforum.net/ServerOps/v ... .php?t=603
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

NUMBERZero wrote:That was my server. :D

No mods are the best. Although, I was running a Table file that makes a few changes. Fusion has been downsized slightly to fit the actual size of the blobs. Microwave has recoil now (which should slow down a BP. Others shouldn't have too much of a problem.) MD has less ammo, you get less ammo, slightly less damage, more recoil. All weapons except blue lasers use parent velocity. Concs do more damage (It's a rocket. They are supposed to do more damage than most things). Frag shrapnel does less damage (honestly, one bit of it does more damage than an explosive tipped, high speed vauss round.) Mega missiles are no longer made in China (bigger explosion, but not as large as D1/D2's). Magnum and Phoenix size tweaked just a pint. Napalm cannon does more damage and shoots farther. Napalm rocket blob is now smaller in hopes of avoiding common problems with lag, not inviza flame, but flame that is there, but is actually a little more in the way than it appeares. Super lasers do slightly more damage. Blue laser sounds like Lv 3 laser. Super laser sounds like Lv 5 laser. Missiles from a Cyclone pack are now much faster (Don't know if they are still drunk). I think I upgraded the damage of each explosive mine.
Those are some cool tweeks. Some issues I didn't know existed.
Too bad there isn't a table file with "standard tweeks" to also include Hostile's plasma's adjustment and the door speed increase. The microwave having recoil (if not too much) is a great idea.
NUMBERZero wrote: I'm thinking of upgrading the speed of all ships. They go just way too slow. They move slower than the GX. Only the Phoenix moves as fast as the GX. Now if only they would move fast and like a fighter outside...
About the pryo speed: if you are refering to GX in D1/D2, remember that D1/D2 and D3 are not scaled the same. D3 is a bit smaller.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the assumption that any table file modifications must exist both server and client side for the tweeks to actually work?
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

NUMBERZero wrote:...I was running a Table file that makes a few changes.
NZ, there's something you need to understand:

Server-side tablefile changes are not sent to the clients.
NUMBERZero wrote:...MD ... slightly less damage...
This is okay. Changing damage is fine (assuming you're running it as client/server), because damage is handled server-side.
NUMBERZero wrote:... Fusion has been downsized slightly ... Microwave has recoil now (which should slow down a BP. Others shouldn't have too much of a problem.) ... more recoil. All weapons except blue lasers use parent velocity....
These types of changes are NOT okay for server-side-only adjustments.

Why? Because changes to weapon speeds or recoil or size or effects are NOT seen by clients.

This causes the players to see weapons differently than what they actually are on the server. I.e. weapons will not be where the clients see them.
NUMBERZero wrote:I'm thinking of upgrading the speed of all ships...
Again, server-side tablefile changes are NOT seen by clients. Increasing the ship speeds server-side won't do anything at all.
NUMBERZero wrote:Hey, were you all able to see the text changes like "??? was incinirated by ???'s napalm rocket because of lag!" ?
Nope. The only text changes players would see are those where the text is actually sent from the server (e.g. "-Server- says:"). Player-kill messages are generated client-side.

-----------

If you want to change anything besides weapon damage, you need to package the custom tablefile in a custom .mn3, and distribute it so the players have those changes.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

AlphaDoG wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the assumption that any table file modifications must exist both server and client side for the tweeks to actually work?
Exactly. 8)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re: Subway Dancer \"The RIGHT Way\"

Post by Lothar »

Sickone wrote:everyone agreed it was better that way.
Well, of course -- the ones who didn't agree wouldn't be playing it, would they?

IMO, if you're going to play with normal weapons, there are a lot of levels out there that are WAY better than Subway. The only reason to play Subway is for the mod; otherwise, go play some SLW or something.

Subway is a chucker level, mod or no. But I think the "right" way to play it would be team hoard. It would be a great fit.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Regarding \"No-Mod Subway\", it's something various server-ops host from time to time. Request it, and you're sure to find someone willing to put it up.

FYI regarding the DRH Subway game: As of right now, the DRH is continuing to host the usual Subway Dancer game as Hyper-Anarchy, because there is a group of players who play it daily and prefer it that way (although there is some discussion of adjusting the respawn rate). [Sure, I don't personally enjoy it, but it works for them. DRH tradition is to be request/play driven.]

With that said, if you have a request, feel free to find a DRH admin (that's currently Machete_Bug, myself, and DwnUndr). We love hosting up what people want and what people play, even if it's not the most popular. And we throw in periodic change-ups like the Wednesday Night Fight Club and Sunday Challenge. :)
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

Certainly no doubt there are better levels.
It just seems that 75% of the time I can find
a game - it is Subway.

That would be fine if the same player flocked to Pyroglyphics, or even indika, or 100 other levels.
Rather than spending all their time in Subway.

I was basically suggesting that if the mod'd level wasn't up there would be better game play.

Spoke to Shawn \"Barry Hill WasteMore/Fusion_Pimp\" today. He is jazzed and in a week or so after I get him a Grendel 3dpro converter. He will be back for some games, as well as Typhoon. He thought he may have another friend as well.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Sunday Challenge?

Is it up all day Sunday? I'm usually only available at certain times on Sunday. Once a month I'm available for almost the whole day.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Pimp amd typhoon?? o_0

whoa, there are a couple of names i haven't heard in a while!
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I remember playing Barry a long way back and always found him to be a fun and challenging player.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

\"Subway the Right Way\" = deleted from your hard drive

Better yet never download it, even without the mod it's not a \"S.A.L.\"

Poor level design.... piss poor mod.... Nothing like Subway98

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Alter-Fox wrote:Sunday Challenge?
It's something Machete_Bug has started putting up on the DRH on Sundays. Usually it's a variation of a well-known level - like no-mod Subway, or Veins without MD, etc.
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

Bubba - I don't totally agree. I can have fun in Subway. Particularly when it's the only game I can get. Given that, no mod is preferred.

I would just like to get more players in more levels.

Currenty some of the emails I am sending likely sound like an old perv.... \"Hi little boy - remember me\" :)

Unfortunately most of the emails I have are returning as dead, but I am still trying
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I love Pyroglyphic. Is one of my all time favorite levels to play.

Subway dancer was ok, better than Indika.
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

Pyro can be a great level. As I remember though if you have more than 4 or 5 players you need a higher respawn rate. In the month that I have been back I got 1 30 minute game in Pyro, and it was great.

Anyone who has active emails for old players, pass them to me... I'll be the old turd who is bugging them :)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Sickone wrote:Currenty some of the emails I am sending likely sound like an old perv.... "Hi little boy - remember me" :)
If you get a picture of a Gerbil back, you know it's a good e-mail!

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

\"Subway the Right Way\" = deleted from your hard drive
This.
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

If you want to stop the B-Team from playing Subway Dancer come stomp the misguided unmercifully. After a week no one will be playing Subway Dancer. There are 9 playing now having a crazy fun time. Let the Tankers roll.
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

That's just feeding fuel to the fire. Just don't show up and wait around in the no mod one.
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

;)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Mickey1 wrote:If you want to stop the B-Team from playing Subway Dancer come stomp the misguided unmercifully. After a week no one will be playing Subway Dancer. There are 9 playing now having a crazy fun time. Let the Tankers roll.
I guess if you folks are willing to endure a beat-down I think it would be ungracious not to accommodate. ;)

I would've come in there earlier, if my hand didn't hurt so much from Kata to 200.
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

Subway Dancer's crazy wacky goofball fun awaits you. Ice is nice for a sore hand, for a sore ego not so much.
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

Hmmmmmm. If only there was a way to distribute the Table file to the entire Descent community. That would require an intigrated news board in some multiplayer menu in D3. Oh well.