Recommended Control Setups

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Recommended Control Setups

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

I just got my new computer today, at 2.7GHz and 6 GB RAM. I have a Top Gun Fox 2 Pro joystick that works with this computer, and wanted to know what the best configuration would be for Descent.

I've heard some control schemes using the X-Axis as bank, Y-Axis as pitch, and Z-Axis (twisting) as left/right, then simply using the 8 way Hat buttons for sliding. Is this the most practical control scheme? How can I use my joystick and keyboard (or maybe mouse, if you think it's better) for best performance?

Also, I could only get Rebirth working. D2X-XL is having problems recognizing that it is in fact the full version of Descent 2.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

You can make a post on the D2X-XL forum. As long as you're polite (and I don't see why you wouldn't be), Karx should be willing to help (you'd be surprised by the number of people who can't get it working and then hate everything to do with the program, I'm just warning).

The latest (1.15.121) version runs dead stable for me, so once you get it running you shouldn't have any problems (of course, everyone's hardware is different...)
Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

Oh, thanks, I might go ahead and do that later. I don't think it's a hardware issue with dual core Ultimate Vision AMD 2.7GHz processor and 6GB RAM. Just saying lol.

Now, back to the control setup....

EDIT: Screw it, I'm sticking with the controls that are all so familiar to me. I just ordered a PS2 controller USB adapter lol