Is Kali down?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Is Kali down?

Post by Duper »

Tracker won't connect.

all ports are forwarded and windows firewall is off. No other firewall software is enabled.
Oh, yeah, current tracker info is in place as well.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: Is Kali down?

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'm in at 7:53am Apr 6
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Merlin, What are the tracker and game master settings you use?

Thx.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Tracker: tracker.kali.net:2213
Game Tracker:master.kali.net
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

hmm. Same thing I have. Wonder what's going on. I'll try different compatibilities.
ThugsRook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ThugsRook »

hey Duper, Kali was working for me today.

Sika said P2P is now disabled on Kali, TCP only.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Really... that's curious. I guess that way Jay doesn't need to maintain a server.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

P2P is a logical network topology, TCP/IP is a network protocol. Both can exist at the same time.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

well yeah. That's what I thought. I really don't understand why Jay would go to the trouble to disable "p2p".

*shrug* oh well.

That would effectively render Kali useless for any other game that doesn't have a TCP attribute like the descent mods.

Thx Krom.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Is there anything we can do to get a more playable D1 game? This is really sad. On the new D1 Rebirth I've tried even though I've port-forwarded I can't host a game, and if you play vs. someone hosting they have LAN ping while you have 90-150 or whatever and have dodge-lag as well since this is TCP (something that makes me CRINGE in D1).

I mean its fun to still play d1 after so long but having to play 1on1 with one person hosting a TCP game is pretty suboptimal.

At the same time I doubt anyone will be willing to run any "D1 servers" ? I mean I assume that would mean someone would have to run the actual game not like the D3 servers that can just chill in the background on a machine.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I would love to see someone build a front end where chat and gaming worked out of one lobby.

Right now, there about 5 or 6 different community trackers, 3 separate IRC channels, Kali, vortex and one website that tries to do the same thing .. um.. I forget who set that up.

If all 3 could be combined through one front end gui, that would be awesome. At least as a community we could hang out in the same place.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

While I was never a fan of the forced centralized networking model used in Rebirth I do have to point a couple things out:
1) It uses UDP/IP, not TCP/IP. This does make it at least more efficient, at the cost of certain routers not handling it properly (anything by Netgear used to never work, maybe they've improved since, who knows...)
2) The hit detection is all client-side, not server-side, so you don't have to dodge differently. The pings listed are the pings to the server; but since it uses a "star" topology, your effective ping to everyone in the game except the host is their ping PLUS your ping, which can cause issues trying to hit people.

D2X-XL uses the decentralized model that D1/2 previously used, but it isn't very often used for multiplayer. (There's also a cost: everyone in the game has to have a router configured for it, not just the host.)

P.S. And no, there are still no dedicated servers in D1/2.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Tracker still timing out. :?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Yeah.. still not working. It's not the router. I bypassed it; tied right into the comcast modem.
All firewall software shut off ...really shut off. and still no go.

Thoughts?

Ran fine before I did a reinstall of windows 7. (clean install on a new HD)