Anyone experienced with setting up D3 servers?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

PuDLeZ
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Anyone experienced with setting up D3 servers?

Post by PuDLeZ »

I figured I would make a post since I assume others will have a good idea about this... Some of you may have already noticed new servers pop up in the trackers.

I used the installer from http://www.dateiliste.com/en/descent-3.html so I'm using that server tool. Seems like that site is dead now... I do still have my original CDs and also have access to the GOG download if that's better... Right now, the laptop that would normally be sitting on the shelf has win10 pro 64bit but not against installing linux if it will perform better. I work in Middleware so *nix and servers aren't a new thing but I've never hosted a game server before... Really wondering what are some good settings and how many servers/player limits you think I could host with keeping it good for all players? It's hosted in Saint Paul, MN (midwest usa) so I know some people will be getting better pings compared to the other servers currently being hosts.

Spare laptop specs: i7 4600U 2.1GHz 2.69 GHz & 8G of ram (sorry, max for the laptop), SSD hard drive...

Internet connection: It's DSL connection that I rarely ever use. Basically only have it because I needed a phone line and also have to always have a connection to remote into the office and comcast like to go down without notice, especially when there's a production outage... I will be getting an average on the connection soon (want to get several days at different hours each day) but right now let's just say 43 megabits down and 17 up...
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Anyone experienced with setting up D3 servers?

Post by Krom »

Descent 3 servers are best run with the D3 server tool in Windows XP. Probably the best way to run it on that type of computer is to load up a copy of Virtualbox and use that to host a Windows XP virtual machine on the system, install D3 inside that and run it all from there.

You can run a D3 server in Windows Vista/7/8.x/10, but in order for the D3 Server tool to work it is necessary to disable UAC which I wouldn't recommend. Otherwise you could do what I do: dedicate some old basement PC to hosting D3 servers exclusively.
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

All that effort and you put up Skybox & Abend 2 :? Well hey at least you got Fury, but come onnnn! :mrgreen:

PS: That Hunter in the mines isn't me.
PuDLeZ
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by PuDLeZ »

Well, feel free to give suggestions :)