* FAQ    * Search  * Register * Login 
Active topics
Unanswered topics

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: How to participate in non-competitive D2 anarchy games
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:45 pm 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Nowadays, is it possible to participate in any non-competitive Anarchy games (mostly interested in D2, but D1 possible too) on more-or less regular basis, maybe at least once-twice a week?
I plan to play mostly for fun without big concern about scoring (in general I've only played one multiplayer Descent game in my life :) ) . I know about Descent Rangers and DCL, but those seem to be ranking and competitive play oriented, and have a lot of non-obvious rules. Also I cannot host the game because I have USB 4G modem and dynamic IP address.

Post subject: Re: How to participate in non-competitive D2 anarchy games
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:46 pm 
DBB Master
DBB Master

Yeah, there are ways... well, kind of. Pick-up games have no formal competition and happen occasionally, though I haven't kept track of the most popular times - maybe weekends? The people who play them most tend to be among the highest skilled though so whether they're fun will be a matter of taste and/or luck.

Despite the scoring system the Rangers don't tend to play for competition, for the most part. There are a few people who usually wind up at the top of the scoreboards that play to win, but - rough guess - half to two-thirds either play toward their own goals or just for the fun of it. But the games are more structured - it's not just "drop in and play" - you have to wait for start to be called, and the game immediately stops at a set point.

DCL is straight-up intended for competition, though, and I wouldn't recommend it if you're not interested in that.