Would you want a 6-8\" pyro on your desk

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Eagle, has responded and given his approval.

I received a reply from HeXetic concerning the above pyro he was fine with it, and forward me to Sp3ctre who I emailed last night.

I love the detail on Sp3ctre's and agree I would like to wait till Ferno can show us something. My only haste is I have the funds on hand to make on this week, as a single parent that may not be the case next week :)

My order of preference to date (pending ferno)
1) Sp3ctre's
2) Eagle's
3) Bubbalou's

?)Ferno's

One of the best things we have going is that ingame model are really low rez so it's easy for us to look at any of these as what we fly ongame :D

Regards,
KB
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

KoolBear wrote:why not jake? I am basing them on mine, but remember it is not the pyro-gl from D3.

I would like to seek peoples in opinions especially those that have a dream of a Pyro on thier Desk!

I promise that I will consider these inputs since the decision needs to made soon. Ferno says "Put it in neutral" so let's see what he has in mind.

It would be nice if we all can find a comprimise.

You see I will get a model, and I am willing to adjust my dream , I am trying to find away for everyone that wants one to be able to get one and to like the one we get :) So speak up and be heard!

KB
Alright, I would like it to look like when the GX drops out of Mil132 (the base that it docks with in the beginning cinematics of D2) with the concussions on its back wings, and if I had the time, I would liketo attempt to make the back wings fold up like they did in that same cinematic.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

d3jake wrote:
Alright, I would like it to look like when the GX drops out of Mil132 (the base that it docks with in the beginning cinematics of D2) with the concussions on its back wings, and if I had the time, I would like to attempt to make the back wings fold up like they did in that same cinematic.
The wing's folded up? Do you have that .mov file?

UPDATE Sp3tre has giving his approval to use his model,( last one posted by Aus-RED-5) for the SLA.

If you really look at his model it ROCKS. When I think of an un-painted model sitting on someones desk all I can think of is all that little detail that he has in the model while keeping as true to form as possible considering the game is lo-rez this is hi-rez. I still want to see ferno's work. But man this is by far the direction I would like to see.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

doody, I'm a anarchy rat, after beating the boss in the original D1 Demo I found multi-player and I never looked back at single player, hence no cut scenes. When D2 came out I was full bore anarchy play. Never really played the D2 or D3 single player modes. Wait I do remember watching the opening cut scene where they droped the pyro into the sun :P I rember feeling my eyes get a little wet then.

Shame for sure but what can I say get me into the tunnels and I turn into an anarchy rat!

Back on track ... I think that would be extremely difficult to do in the models man. If you like though you could always cut your's up and hinge them :D

KB
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Naw, let me try to hinge them, that way if it gets messed up I\"ll know who to yell at.

EXACTLY Duper! That's what I was talking about. I don't have the .mov version, PM me of somebody does.... Those Concussion would be awesome to have on the back.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

You could probably use FRAPS to capture the movies. I think I have the movies on DVD somewhere also.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

umm model not movies .. :D
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

KoolBear wrote:umm model not movies .. :D
x2 :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:
KoolBear wrote:umm model not movies .. :D
x2 :P
Yes, I KNOW, I got it!
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

;) duper you were ok you were on topic as your post was related to the d3jake's inquiry. You didn't need to edit :)

I was merely nudging, Hopefully in a day or two I'll start a new thread anyway. One that provides a plan for moving from concept/discussion to a getting a model to eveyone that wants one.

I figure I'll cover the cost of the initial model.

To cover the cost off the Mold and Individual Pyros we'll take the cost of the mold and divide it by the number of people that want a model; add this to the cost of the Pyro add S&H of course and we'll have the cost for everyone that wants a Pyro.

I also thought it would be a good jester of we were to all add enough to purchase a Pyro for the modeler of the version we us. Would anyone have issues with that?

KB
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

KoolBear wrote:I also thought it would be a good jester of we were to all add enough to purchase a Pyro for the modeler of the version we us. Would anyone have issues with that?

KB
Not at all, because I'm pretty sure there will be more then a few people here who will want one! :)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I have a tentative interest in this, depending on how much the final cost per unit would be.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Hopefully later today (Monday) I should get some pricing.

My only concern is I can afford the origninal model but can't swing the funds to prepay for the mold and moldels.

We'll need to figure away to make this happen... Ideas...
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Well, depending on the total price.

Maybe a prepay option (paypal, check, money order) from the people that want a model.
A max number of models per person, per order.

- Say 10 people on a list to order a max of 2 models per person?
Something like that.

I'm willing to prepay mine through paypal. ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I like Eagle's pyro best, particularly if he adds attachment brackets for the missiles. The edgy style looks truest to the original and just makes it look better than the softened up other models, imo.

I'd definitely like to have such a 3D model. I'd do the painting myself (airbrush). I'd also love to have a Pyro model kit the kind with many small parts you have to glue together yourself ...

Having the model 30 or 50 cms long (1 - 1.5 ft) would be pretty neat, too. :roll:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I would prepay mine also. Would send a MO. Don't mind paying for a Pyro for the modeler.

I also prefer Eagle's Pyro but whichever looks best and most people like.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Now here I thought you were using the models for a reference of your own, the one I have you was made back in 1999. If you wanted a High poly or a lofted STL one, give me a bit I'll do one from scratch take me about a week or so.

Since things will not be in place for at least a month, So hold off on making a firm commitment to a specific model. I personally do not care for any models that look like tonka toys when it comes to the Pyro-GX it is supposed to be hard edged, unlike the Pyro-GL.

Also BTW you can make you own model out of clay, wood, or wax for your casting mold and save $500

Movies for non tonka reference
Descent Intro
Descent Ending
Descent 2 Intro
Descent 2 Ending
Descent 3 Intro
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

x100 for Eagle's model.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I agree. Eagle's is VERY nice but it is a little too smooth looking. I do like the overall shape of it though.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

BUBBALOU wrote: Also BTW you can make you own model out of clay, wood, or wax for your casting mold and save $500
Bubba I am not sure I have the time to invest in learning the art of casting. Nor do I really have the desire. Let's see if this comapny can make them cheap enough. If so I would say let them. If not then we will figure out something. Once we have the first model that rest shouldn't be to big of a deal.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Eagle's pyro in D2X-XL:

Too smooth looking? :?
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

I would prefer a true-to-original, as it would be in real life. Real life comparison can only be made to the model that we see in the movies in Descent. IMO, Eagle's model comes the closest without reg flags popping up in my minds eye.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

Sniper wrote:I would prefer a true-to-original, as it would be in real life. Real life comparison can only be made to the model that we see in the movies in Descent. IMO, Eagle's model comes the closest without reg flags popping up in my minds eye.
This I can't deny, nor would I try . ;)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I agree with Sniper for most of his post.
The only reason why we have low-er res models is for resource management on computers, so when the model is made, its not being rendered, now is it?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Well, I'm a 100% sure that I don't want to see this version on my computer desk. :|
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:Well, I'm a 100% sure that I don't want to see this version on my computer desk. :|
X5,345,892

But I loved it in game!
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Hummmm... ok then.

Have you seen the *New* low res pyro in D2X-XL?

Image Image
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Hey, Diedel, quit threadcrapping, get back on topic. Do you want one or not?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Diedel, thank you that was the answer I was looking for.

You like Eagles Pyro.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

I am glad I am having enough of your attention to be understood now.
Diedel ([color=orange]Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:39 pm[/color]) wrote:I like Eagle's pyro best, particularly if he adds attachment brackets for the missiles. The edgy style looks truest to the original and just makes it look better than the softened up other models, imo.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

Diedel wrote:I am glad I am having enough of your attention to be understood now.
Diedel ([color=orange]Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:39 pm[/color]) wrote:I like Eagle's pyro best, particularly if he adds attachment brackets for the missiles. The edgy style looks truest to the original and just makes it look better than the softened up other models, imo.
Me too, I thought we were on the same page.

I totally agree, actually I like Spe3tre's the best it is BEAUTIFUL. Simply outstanding.

BUT Eagle's remains beary true to the game while providing more detail!

I understand Eagle's was made from a Pyro Ferno had made several years ago. I seem to recall it. Ferno do you still have that model?

KB
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

blah.. no, i lost it when the backup CD was damaged.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

:oops:

:(

:P
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

That looks pretty cool KB. :)

Update on that model?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

Duper wrote:I think you can export the model using DTX.
Duper is that a D2 Utility, one that can be found on PD?
If you have it installed can you see about exporting it?

Aus-RED-5 wrote:That looks pretty cool KB. :)
Update on that model?
Thanks Aus-Red-5. I am going to use Eagle's Pyro. I have asked Issac if he will perform the final modifications to the files. If anyone else is interested in doing them let me know.

Sorry I shouldn't have gotten off topic with my modeling of the game version GX. :P I split that conversation.

KB

UPDATE: Bubbalou has offered to clean up Eagle's model.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Update

Post by KoolBear »

Below is part of an ongoing conversation I am having with the SLA house...

NOTE: The pricing shown below is what the original model will cost ME to produce not you. PLEASE DON'T THINK THAT THE MODELS THAT this pricing reflects your cost. What I hope to offer won't be anywhere near this costly!

If there's anyone out there that want's an SLA model instead of a casting from one. And you are willing to shell out the big bucks I am sure we can drive down that $200.
Hey Michael,

It was good to speak with you on the phone and connect with a fellow hardcore gamer. :) I took a look at your site and its awesome that you guys are rocking it old skool as they say. If you are really into old games like me, you should take a look at http://www.the-underdogs.info/ A great resource for downloading or buying old out of print games.

For your project I scaled down the fighter to around 6\" and by the looks of it you could do fine with SLA technology, which has less detail the but trade off its a bit cheaper. Both SLA and Objet can be primed and painted for customization. We can do that in-house or you can do it yourself. The only thing I'd be worried about is the gun tips, right now they are 25 thou which is just approaching the limit of the machines. They have a minimum wall thickness of 20 thou but it this case I think the guns will come out alright.

Thank you for your offer to for us to make samples of them! Below you'll find our pricing that I made sure is very competitive, with a discount for quantities.

For one fighter:
SLA: 200
Objet: 400

For two fighters:
SLA: 380
Objet: 760

Let me know what you'd like to do and then I'll adjust the manual quote for you on Xpress 3D. Then we can get this project going for you. I look forward to seeing how these come out!
Dan Straka
InterPRO Rapid Technologies
630 Industrial Park Road
Deep River, CT 06417
Toll free: 888-392-0957
Fax: 860-526-8056
www.interpro-rtc.com
Mike,

I sat down with our project manager and the molder and we started to quote your part. The missiles will have to be separated out, and even the ship cut in half. As we talked further it seemed like the molding option might start to be getting out of the budget for the project. As it is it would cost somewhere between 2 - 3 thousand for the making of 3 molds and already it sounds like it might be pushing your budget.

So I thought as an alterative it might be best to make straight SLAs. What you could do to drive down the price is have the fighter be built in two halves and shelled out. Like a model kit. That would really drop down the volume of the fighter and thus the price.

After shelling it out, I would suggest cutting around that red line on the jpeg. I talked to Dan and he though the best and easiest way is to just make the one cut.

Let us know what you would like us to do. Take care.
Dan Straka

Let's sum this up, to make the STL in one SOLID part will cost considerably more then if I break it up.

If I have to break it up we might as well break it down into more/smaller parts. The bed the part is processed on is 20\"x20\". Currently the SLA would be a is solid. If we shelled it out so all we had were the other skins (just like a model car or plane) We consierably reduce the volume and processing time.

Sitting in the normal position the Pyro will be serveral inches tall (more time to process) if we split the wings/stabalizers/missles/cockpit and then split the bodt ib half we effectively have a lower z-axis travel (shorter process time) we might be able to shave more off the cost. I'll ask Dan this Monday.

Bubbalou has offered his services to make Eagle's model ready.

Thought's? Idea's? Concerns?

Bubbalou, you know if we spilt it up it'll be much easier to mold the parts. We might actually be able to do it with paying big bucks for teh mold.

On a slightly different note I am going to order Sp3tre's model for now while we work out the details on Eagle's model I have a little money burning a hole in my pocket, if I don't spend it on me it'll be spent on my kids ;) I never purchase anything for ME!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Wouldn't giving the the specs for the other model not change the price?