Isaac's little lmms songs, thread.

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Isaac's little lmms songs, thread.

Post by Isaac »

Song 10
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Took a break from homework, so I made a song.

Post by flip »

Not bad. Probably the most upbeat funeral music I've ever heard :P What is this LMMS and how does it work?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: Took a break from homework, so I made a song.

Post by Isaac »

Thanks!

Made another (SONG12):
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Isaac's little lmms songs, thread.

Post by vision »

I'll come back to this thread in a while to contribute my own if you don't mind. :) I'm in the process of writing my next full length album, part 3 of a project I named slowwavesleep. Since I've moved to Linux recently, LMMS is one of the tools I'm using. I actually just completed a song in LMMS last night I could post, but won't because I don't want to leak anything yet since I haven't even decided on a release date. Maybe later I can share files with you for remixing?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Cool, any tips for new LMMS people, like me?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Isaac wrote:Cool, any tips for new LMMS people, like me?
LMMS is interesting. It doesn't have a whole lot of features and lacks some basic functionality found in other music software, but it also allows you to approach songwriting/arranging in different ways.

The thing I do that's most helpful to me is using the FX Mixer. Clearly you can write entire compositions without even opening that window. However, I find that assigning my tracks to a channel in the mixer allows me more freedom when it comes to mixdown time. For instance, if have a track that requires volume automation, I can adjust the volume of that part relative to the rest using the mixer's volume. And, if I decide I want reverb on all the drums, it's easier to sub-mix them to the FX MIxer rather than add individual plugins to half a dozen or more tracks.

Another advantage of the FX Mixer is the ability to put plugins on the master track. The first one I add for every session is the spectrum analyzer that comes with LMMS. Very handy. When it comes time to finish your composition, you can add compression/eq/limiting to the master track and get it nice and loud (if that's what you are going for). No need for a second piece of software for "mastering."

Other than that, there really isn't much to the program. I do notice I'm more inclined to use the piano roll instead of the beat/basline editor, but that's just because it's more practical for my brand of songwriting.

Can't wait to hear more music from you.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Hey, thanks for the input. And I'm glad that you want to hear more for me.

Right now I think I'm going to just work on my process in coming up with melodies and chords.

Do you have tips on how to come up with new unique melodies with out sounding like you're rehashing an old melody?

Do song 10 (first post) and song 12 (my second post) sound like they have similar melodies or do they sound unique? Also, do you think they sound developed enough?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

I do think the songs sound very similar, but maybe it's because you wrote them around the same time? They have similar progressions, sounds, and tempo. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The stuff you posted reminds me of classic video game music, which is kind of cool if that's what you are going for. They do sound like sketches though.
Do you have tips on how to come up with new unique melodies with out sounding like you're rehashing an old melody?

Oh sure. Try starting on a different note. Try playing it in half time or double time. Change the downbeat or play it on the upbeat. Inverting the chords/scales works really well for me. But sometimes you just have to take a break and get inspired. There was a time when it seemed like everything I wrote was in G-Mixolydian. I decided to take a break from writing and listen to new music, and later purposefully explored other modes. You would be surprised how a song can completely change if you just start a whole step higher/lower. Then again, maybe you do know.

The other thing I do when I'm in a songwriting rut is pick up a different instrument. The tone, feel, and difficulty in learning a new instrument is really stimulating for the brain and is guaranteed to make your writing take off in a new direction.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Thanks!
Shouldn't I try to avoid moving to different instruments if I'm still trying to get the hang of making unique melodies and chords? Otherwise, my melodies might continue sounding the same, no?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Yeah the changing instruments bit is something I do when I have severe writer's block.

Oh one more thing, you can also start by drawing notes in patterns the look interesting, regardless of how they sound. Playing them back will initially sound terrible, usually, but you might hear something interesting (uncommon intervals, overlapping tones) that inspire you to create new melodies. If you're not familiar with his work, check out Schoenberg. He had lots of great ideas on advancing music.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

vision wrote:I'll come back to this thread in a while to contribute my own if you don't mind. :) I'm in the process of writing my next full length album, part 3 of a project I named slowwavesleep.
Hey Isaac, I wanted to direct you to this project I just finished. The whole thing was written and recorded in Ubuntu Maverick, and LMMS was responsible for about 40% of the music. Maybe you'll find it interesting, as LMMS seems to be capable of quite a bit. Also note I use a lot of my own sounds and when I do use sounds provided by LMMS, they are usually modified to taste.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Wow. I like the new colors on your site.

Listening to the first one!

I think I've heard this one before.

Ah! It's the third one! I see.