D1 Level 13 music (Midi- remaster)

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

Blade
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

D1 Level 13 music (Midi- remaster)

Post by Blade »

So I'm back here again with another Descent related track. This one's from level 13 of D1.

I've decided to upload this onto my youtube page instead of newgrounds. Anyways, here it is:

As always, Enjoy! :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: D1 Level 13 music (Midi- remaster)

Post by Krom »

I like it, although the D1 level 13 MIDI track was one of my favorites already.
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

Much better quality than the D2 L4 you did, IMO. I like this.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

This inspires me. I may compete with you. Is there an archive of D1 MIDI tracks anywhere? I just got a fresh OS install and have not compiled Descent yet.
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

The original music files were a form of MIDI, and used a soundbank. There was an old program (16bit) called DTX that could extract the music into MIDI format, though it never sounds *quite* the same as it does in-game.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I think the kick drum could be louder -- it's a pretty big part of the awesome crazy rhythm in this song -- and the low-end in general needs more existence especially for the lead line. When I listen to it on my headphones it sounds like it's coming out of laptop speakers. And heaven forbid when I listen to it on laptop speakers...

Anyway, apart from that it's excellent.
But if this will be a competition are the competitors allowed to 'reinterpret' and remake the songs from scratch? Because if we can do that I already have some entries. Not to mention the whole soundtrack remastered the way you did this a few years ago -- just long enough for it to be significantly lower quality than my current work.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

Let the games begin! I'll be watching. ;)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Valin Halcyon wrote:The original music files were a form of MIDI, and used a soundbank. There was an old program (16bit) called DTX that could extract the music into MIDI format, though it never sounds *quite* the same as it does in-game.
You need to play them with a midi player that can load different sound fonts and download a font matching the original sound card that you played D1 on, then it'll sound the same. (I forget what sound cards exactly the D1 music was written on, but someone should be able to track down sound fonts for them, there were a couple.)
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

OPL2 (mono sound), OPL3 (which is really just two OPL2s for stereo output), SB16, Gravis Ultrasound, Roland, General MIDI.

Most people who played D1/2 in the mid 90s would recognize the OPL2 or 3 renditions. However, the music was made with a Roland synth...
Blade
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Blade »

Ha, I just noticed that the track also has a AWE 32ish sound to it. I will reupload a slightly fixed version soon.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

I just want the MIDI files. I want to revoice and remix them. I don't want to change any notes or arrangements. Can someone hook me up with an archive containing them? Lately I have been looking for an interesting music challenge and I think this is it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

. . .
Attachments
Descent MIDI.7z
Descent Midi Files
(227.14 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I wish I could find some kickass versions of the levels 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 19, and 20 musics.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Oh! Very nice Krom. I'm going to have fun listening to these. It might be a while before I have a finished product. I am in the middle of revamping my music production workflow. The last two years I've been using Linux, which is godawful for pro audio. And because it is so horrid, I almost went back to WinXP the other day. However, I'm giving Linux one last chance to impress me. Just need to find the right tools...
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Avder wrote:I wish I could find some kickass versions of the levels 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 19, and 20 musics.
I've got a few of those :D
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php? ... tem;in=827

http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php? ... tem;in=657

http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php? ... tem;in=825

You need to sign up on PD.net to download, but if you haven't signed up there yet... well it's aboot time :)

@Blade I just noticed that the polysynth pad lines from the MIDI the are missing entirely from your mix as well. This sounds like it's supposed be a direct conversion of the MIDI score to different synths&instruments; not a reinterpretation; so you might want to put them back in ;).
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Alter-Fox wrote:
Avder wrote:I wish I could find some kickass versions of the levels 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 19, and 20 musics.
I've got a few of those :D
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php? ... tem;in=827

http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php? ... tem;in=657

http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php? ... tem;in=825

You need to sign up on PD.net to download, but if you haven't signed up there yet... well it's aboot time :)

@Blade I just noticed that the polysynth pad lines from the MIDI the are missing entirely from your mix as well. This sounds like it's supposed be a direct conversion of the MIDI score to different synths&instruments; not a reinterpretation; so you might want to put them back in ;).
Some of these are actually really good. I'm very impressed.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

REMIXED

I took a different approach. I really like the level remixes I've heard so far, but I didn't see a point to making yet another "updated" version of the soundtrack with better production. I thought it would be more interesting to get away from synthesizers and try some traditional orchestration. What I came up with is like a progressive rock orchestra. I wanted to to highlight just how dense the melodies, timbres, and grooves are in these MIDI files. It was fun. Thanks for your help and inspiration.
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

I liked the opening, but as the song built, some of the choices made for a few specific instruments were less than ideal. There was one note in particular that was played from time to time by a...piano?...that sounded horribly out of place, despite the rest of the piano section sounding just fine.

Sometimes the original sound is that for a reason...and to change that requires a measure of remixing. ;)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

The drums are far too quiet and the obvious sample/synthness of them doesn't really fit with everything orchestral -- not to mention the drum track itself is far too electronica for an orchestral mix no matter what you play it with.

The song sounds impressive but it's my professional opinion that in this modern age orchestral-sounding-soundtracks are a dime a dozen in videogames and at this point a soundtrack with even an emphasis on electronic elements is far more original. The only song in Descent that could really be done convincingly in an orchestral arangement is probably level 16.

I don't mean to be overly critical even though I know I am... and apart from this it really is good work. You almost manage to pull off the impossible.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I gotta say I got a kick out of that logo. And I liked the re-voicing as well, but like I said earlier level 13 is one of my favorites anyway. :P
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Alter-Fox wrote:The song sounds impressive but it's my professional opinion that in this modern age orchestral-sounding-soundtracks are a dime a dozen in videogames and at this point a soundtrack with even an emphasis on electronic elements is far more original.
Oh neat, you are a professional? Cool, I didn't know that. Musician? Engineer? Producer? Where can I check out your stuff?

I really don't know about modern video games. You see, I don't really play video games. I like Descent, and I play this one Tron game, but that's about it. My last game console was an Atari 2600. I did play my Tekken 3 on my roomate's PS1 back in the 90's though. That's about all my game experience outside of minesweeper, unless you want to go back to the PacMan days. :D
Alter-Fox wrote:The drums are far too quiet and the obvious sample/synthness of them doesn't really fit with everything orchestral -- not to mention the drum track itself is far too electronica for an orchestral mix no matter what you play it with.
Well, I did say "progressive rock orchestra." In my mind I was thinking something like Trans-Siberian Orchestra or maybe Yes - Symphonic, or Deep Purple, thus electric bass and organ and... bongos? Either way, I just wanted a juxtaposition between the original crude sounds of early sound-blaster technology with modern, professional-level sampling software, but staying away from synthesizers. I shouldn't expect anyone to like it, I should expect people to be shocked, haha. My goal was to make something interesting and unexpected. Also, which drums are quiet and synthetic/electronica? I don't understand what you are saying there and I want to. I will say that before I went this the current direction I was doing something completely abstract with the MIDI file and the result would have been even less recognizable.

Anyone know who did the original? I saw a few people listed under Descent's music credits. Would like to check out the author's other work and get inside their head.