Ascent to UDK

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

TheAscentProject
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Ascent to UDK

Post by TheAscentProject »

See what I did there?

Time for some exciting news:

As many of you might have heard by now, fellow Material Defender MadMax1998 just made quite a splash in the gaming community with the announcement of his Descent to UDK project.
He kindly contacted me asking if I would be interested in joining his project as a 3D modeler, remaking the original Descent I bots (as I have been doing with those in Descent II) to be used in his game.

Of course, I was more than happy to accept and become part of this promising revival!

Max and I have been communicating pretty much daily, he's a bit overwhelmed at the moment trying to get through the barrage of fanmail, messages, and support since his original announcement of the project but, worry not because soon enough we will have defined some kind of workflow and development will commence. And it couldn't have been at a more opportune time really, my semester ends in about 3 weeks – leaving me with some solid chunks of time to dedicate to this endeavor. Needless to say, you can expect nothing but the very best that I can possibly give here.

That said, what does this all mean as far as The Ascent Project goes? I would like to say that I'll be working on both projects at the same time but I'm unsure if that is actually possible. Perhaps I will just fold T.A.P. into this since I was going to do the models from Descent I anyway. I am not sure yet.

All and all my fellow Material Defenders, it seems like after years of loyal service, we're finally gonna get that paycheck.

PS: I don't really want to say anything but... There was a Class 1 Drone hanging around here today.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: Ascent to UDK

Post by Isaac »

I will not be heartbroken if you can only work on the Descent UDK project.

This Descent to UDK project is going to fill the void that the game industry is neglecting. This is greater in importance than a new Zelda or Half-Life game and so is the excitement, for Descent fans.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

T'would be nice if there could perchance be the occasional or more than occasional mechanical nemesis from Descent 2 in this predominantly Descent 1 based project. I do seem to have always liked those foes better than their original counterparts.
This could, perchance, be something more productively taken up with Max himself.

And I quite possibly am delighting in this method of speech.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
@uToPL@y
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Location: Off World: Scouting for a lost mining colony in an uncharted sector of space.

Post by @uToPL@y »

This is just the beginning my friend! :P

Imagine standing on an iceberg, and your weight is pushing down - so when you look at your feet, you see that your boots are getting wet. Well, it's similar to that - as I'm sure the Descent to UDK phenomena will last for many years to come, so yes!
You will eventually see your nemesis and many more like it, yet to come in the years ahead!

As I'm sure you can imagine all the cool Mech-Tech old and new Descenter's alike have been dreaming of one day seeing or making in a current day game engine that's free to boot and comes with it's own editor. Hence, there won't be any financial hurdles to overcome in this version of Descent! :D
Except maybe a day's wages someone might spend on a new hard drive to store all the cool new stuff for D2UDK!

1DVD4D2UDK - And this is the ~ END TRANSMISSION
After closing your browser, it'll be with you, in back of your mind just
waiting to inspire you by what you've seen, heard or read here today

6Dof/360 Descent Style game in Unreal Engine 3 UDK!
SOL Contingency: Proving Grounds MP - Xmas Release
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I don't think I'm heavy enough to push down... :P
And I'm a Winnipegger, I wouldn't need boots! I could do that barefoot!

Also I'm technically on this project already, as a musician and also in a position that seems to be lead writer now (one of two lead writers :lol: ). So I think I'm going to have as good of an idea of where it's going as you do. And in fact being a writer on the project might mean I have an even better idea of where it's going...
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

@uToPL@y wrote:1DVD4D2UDK
:?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

roid wrote:
@uToPL@y wrote:1DVD4D2UDK
:?
MSOFFICE07DISC2 Oh yeahh!!
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

It's his alias on the Descent to UDK boards.
@uToPL@y
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Location: Off World: Scouting for a lost mining colony in an uncharted sector of space.

Post by @uToPL@y »

Awesome back/storyline & music you guys are doing too! :D

~ I will most likely make my ingame username with some form of '1DVD-' as well, since my 'autoplay' days seem old now, but I do still use the ut2004 editor for concept art.

So, now I'm getting used to the UDK editor again. :D
After closing your browser, it'll be with you, in back of your mind just
waiting to inspire you by what you've seen, heard or read here today

6Dof/360 Descent Style game in Unreal Engine 3 UDK!
SOL Contingency: Proving Grounds MP - Xmas Release