Extremely old/deleted fan art on descentBB?

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

defconx
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Extremely old/deleted fan art on descentBB?

Post by defconx »

So I used to be on this forum way back in ... I don't know ... I want to say 2002? 2003? ... if that was even possible. I think under the user name defconx or DefconX or something along those lines. Well, hello, I'm back.

I had uploaded some hilariously bad fan art before or while 'Descent 4' was in the works at Volition and couldn't seem to find it in the archives as this thing stops at 2004. I don't remember the forum using this particular forum software at the time and I guess it might have moved. But out of curiosity would there by any recovery of this sort of thing?

I looked deep into the Internet Way Back Machine and found nothing. Now I know I didn't imagine this because the last thing I posted I distinctly recall was a homemade set of Lego instructions on how to make my version of the D3 Phoenix out of Lego bricks. Was it DescentBB.net exactly or some iteration thereof? I'm pretty sure about that much.

Know how I might find that info, anyone? Is it buried in some back up hard drive somewhere?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Extremely old/deleted fan art on descentBB?

Post by Krom »

That would have been in the old UBB before the conversion, which was before my time. I didn't come into hosting the site till much later, and I'm not sure who ended up with any copies of the UBB data files. My guess is either KoolBear or Richard Cranium might have an archive of them somewhere.
defconx
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by defconx »

Aha. That rings a bell. KoolBear and a few others were active then. Oh well, thanks for the info!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Went to the way back machine. There's some old relics that still exist

Look at the different names in the drop down menu. Not everything works but found that redman's does.

❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
defconx
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by defconx »

Yes! I managed to find some of that too, but couldn't find my own.

I have fond memories of all those CGI creations when people were letting Descent really inspire their imagination. I get a similar feeling from D:U in the sense that to me it feels like a big fan art project. :)

I wonder if there is still that one where there is a CGI scene of someone in a bikini filling up a Pyro at a gas station. That was very funny.
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

defconx wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:06 pm

I wonder if there is still that one where there is a CGI scene of someone in a bikini filling up a Pyro at a gas station. That was very funny.
lol is there one with a woman in a bikini laying on the front of it?
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

well, hope you can find your old work.
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
defconx
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by defconx »

TRUEpiiiicness wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:48 pm
defconx wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:06 pm

lol is there one with a woman in a bikini laying on the front of it?
That would be very funny. It was almost "girlie calendar" but too amateur to be titillating in any way. So it was just kinda charming. Not in a gamergate kind of way.

As for my art, I may just have to try to dig through my own papers and see if I found the silly comic things I made. One of them was a "Descent 4" concept of a pilot being able to leave the Pyro's cockpit in the mine (which in retrospect sounds like an absolutely terrible idea!) and use a hand blaster to get through a door and calling it the Dravis maneuver. :roll:
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Archive Koolbears website between 2007 and 2008. A long time ago I collected a bunch of Descent related pictures I used in 5 YouTube videos when I still had my channel. I believe he took all the pictures I found and uploaded everything to his page. I may have even used your pictures at the time.

Also check out this website.
https://www.descentforum.de/gallery/ind ... ategory/76
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

No idea about the art work, but I have a URL for images of a Lego Pyro GX (still accessible in the Wayback Machine):

http://www.x-brick.de/space/pyro_gx.html