Mouse inverted in Guded Missile view

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

AndreyT
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Mouse inverted in Guded Missile view

Post by AndreyT »

Hello

I just wiped the dust from my copy of Descent 3 to try it in mouselook mode (something I never did before). It works fine, except that the mouse Y axis works \"upside-down\" in Guided Missile mode. Is there any way to fix it?

Regards,
Andrey
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Have you installed the update patch (or patches) and brought it up to ver 1.4?

http://www.planetdescent.com/site/files/d3/patches/

If mouse movement is not inverted during normal play, but is inverted in the guided missle view ... since there is no seperate mouse orientation for the guided missle view ... the first thing (that I can think of) would to be verify that your installation has the update patches applied to it.
AndreyT
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by AndreyT »

Yes, my version is updated to 1.4. And yes, the Y axis is NOT inverted during the normal play, but inverted in Guided Missile (GM) mode. It doesn matter whether I use the full-screen GM mode or HUD mode - it is always inverted.

Inverting the Y axis in the controller settings inverts it in both normal play and GM mode (i.e. GM becomes right, while normal play becomes inverted).
AndreyT
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by AndreyT »

BTW, I seem to have found a workaround.

I switched the mouse from \"mouselook\" mode to \"flightsim\" mode. At the first sight, the only difference between \"mouselook\" and \"flightsim\" is the way mouse Y-axis works in these modes: in \"mouselook\" it works like a desktop mouse pointer (you move it forward and the reticle moves up), and in \"flightsim\" it works like a joystick handle (you move it forward and the ship pitches down). The good news is that in \"flightsim\" the normal play mode and the GM mode are in sync with regard to Y-axis! That means that now all I had to do is switch to \"flightsim\" mode, then go to the controller settings, manually invert the Y-axis of the mouse and viola! Now my mouse works as it should work in \"mouselook\" mode (even thgough I'm in fact in \"flightsim\" mode) with Y-axis working as expected in both normal play and GM node.

Apparently, the only difference between \"mouselook\" and \"flightsim\" mouse modes is the way Y-axis movements are interpreted. It is probably safe to conclude that \"mouselook\" mode in 1.4 is implemented with a bug: it affects normal play, but is ignored in GM view mode (i.e. GM view always works in \"flightsim\" mode). I actually remember hearing about this issue more than once in Descent's heyday - everyone used to run into this problem. It is strange I can't find any mention of it now.

This also brings an interesting question. I heard that when \"mouselook\" mode appeared in Descent it was seen controversial and made quite some noise in the community. I'm having hard time understanding that: how could it be seen as a major change while in fact the \"mouselook\" mode itself appears to be nothing else than just the \"flightsim\" mode with inverted Y-axis? Am I missing something here? Would appreciate any replies.

Best regards,
Andrey
AndreyT
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by AndreyT »

OK, I see that there's more to \"mouselook\" than just an inverted Y-axis. It also supports adaptive sensitivity, allowing for faster turns.

Anyway, \"inverted flighsim\" will work for me now, but it would be great to know if there's any way to fix the \"mouselook\" mode with regard to GM control.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Ok, I spent some time messin around and the best that I can tell that there is no way of doing that. The missiles for some reason are unaffected by axis changes.

You might be able to do that by altering table files but I'm clueless there. That's speculation. As most the \"community\" (such as it is) doesn't typically use mouse look, it's not surprising this hasn't come up before.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Duper wrote:Ok, I spent some time messin around and the best that I can tell that there is no way of doing that. The missiles for some reason are unaffected by axis changes.

You might be able to do that by altering table files but I'm clueless there. That's speculation. As most the "community" (such as it is) doesn't typically use mouse look, it's not surprising this hasn't come up before.
My friends use mouselook, but mainly it has to do with the lack of use for guideds in multiplayer.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Ok.. ONE person uses mouse look. ;)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Duper wrote:As most the "community" (such as it is) doesn't typically use mouse look, it's not surprising this hasn't come up before.
Actually, I don't know of any one MP server that has mouse-look enabled. If you get used to it in SP you'll have to relearn for MP.
ImageImage