Which official level title do you think is the silliest?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Which official level title do you think is the silliest?

Post by Alter-Fox »

Which is the silliest? Which is the most impressive? Which is the most original? And which is the most irrelevant to the level itself?

I think Morabi Milk Mine (D2: Vertigo level 19) is the silliest name that any official Descent level has ever had. I think Fold Zandura (D2: Vertigo level 16) is the most impressive and the most original. And I think Gippan Ore Refinery (D2: Vertigo level 17) is the most irrelevant to the actual level, which looks more like a cavern system than any other D2 level I've seen.

(No fair. I just realized all of my choices were from D2: Vertigo.) :P
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Definitely the Morabi Milk Mine. That doesn't even make sense. :P

I also never liked Dravis' Stronghold. For me, the whole concept that Dravis would even have a personal fortress armed to the teeth with robots was just silly. I don't believe Dravis was even defined as the CEO of PTMC since that was Suzuki; he's just a corporate shill.

Some sources defined Level 17 in Descent 1 as the Tethys H2O Mine. Funny, because there's no water there.

As far as the best names, I liked most of the names in Descent 2. Seriously, I should start a band called Mephisto Hardcore.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

Ya, the whole personal stronghold thing was cheesy. D3 singleplayer in general was pretty eww. The subway station one was cool though.

Morabi Milk Mine definently takes the cake though =P.

In D1 the military bases seemed rather silly to me too...why would a military base be owned by a mining company? With *their* signs all over the place.....
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I think that the silliest sounding ones are the ones in the last two systems in D2, like \"Iwihml\" or \"Drec'nible K'luh\". I dunno if I even spelled them right :D

Morabi Milk Mine sounds silly that's for sure, but morabi milk could be a rare solution of some rare elements, or whatever. That's what I first thought.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Drec'nilbie K'luh is an anagram of Incredible Hulk. Iwihml, I have no idea.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

D1 level 23: Triton Storage Depot. Triton is being slowly destroyed by Neptune's gravity, so it's not the best place for a storage facility :P.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

That would make the placement of a storage depot rather difficult, wouldn't it?
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hm. It depends on a lot of things. \"Slowly\" in this case means it'll take millions of years (at least), so it may not be so urgent. However, it could also mean the tidal effects are pretty crazy, likewise volcanism; I don't know whether it'd compare to Io though.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by Xfing »

Alter-Fox wrote:D1 level 23: Triton Storage Depot. Triton is being slowly destroyed by Neptune's gravity, so it's not the best place for a storage facility :P.
If we're following that way of thinking, then Neptune Storage Depot is even sillier. Why? Neptune itself has no crust as such, it only has an atmosphere and a mantle. I can't imagine drilling a storage depot in a planet that doesn't even have a crust.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Vampyro.
ImageImage
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

Kartoon Kanyon? :P

IDK what the best one is, but my favorite is High Velocity Weapons Research (Secret 2) and C.E.D. Expediator Dreadnaught
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Which official level title do you think is the silliest?

Post by Xfing »

BTW, "Iwihml" could be an acronym for "I wish I had more lights". This would refer to the painful lack of energy centers in the level. Got that one from TVtropes.com :)
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

Huh, that's the second time I've heard that one. I was just taking a shot in the dark with that one, since some of the other "alien" names at the end of Counterstrike seem to have a hidden meaning. :mrgreen:

I'd also vote for "Morabi Milk Mine" as the silliest; right off the bat, I was wondering how they thought that would even make sense. :P "Tethys H²O Mine" stood as being kind of weird when I was little, but now that I think about it, water could become more of a commodity in the future...

Counterstrike had a lot of great names, though. I really like the sound of most of the mines in both Brimspark and Limefrost Spiral, but I'd say my favorite level in the game, "Arcticon Corridor," might have my favorite Interplay level name. Otherwise, it might be "Lavafalls Extraction Center," "Sleetstone Tunnels" or "Magnacore Station."

EDIT: I forgot about the most original/least indicative names, but I'd say "Tethys H²O Mine" is also one of the least indicative. But then again, that might only be in hindsight, since Descent 2 actually introduced water in some mines. The most original is kind of hard to gauge, but I thought Level 1 of Counterstrike had a pretty creative name: "All hope abandon, ye who enter here."
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I've actually written a song called Ahayweh, and it turned out pretty nice. If you're into melodic death metal, that is :P
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Xfing wrote:BTW, "Iwihml" could be an acronym for "I wish I had more lights". This would refer to the painful lack of energy centers in the level. Got that one from TVtropes.com :)
I like that. I'm very surprised this thread is still active. I think it's like the fourth or fifth one I started on this board...
I remixed the Ahayweh Gate music as a silly rap song about the story of the next game and how 'I'm gonna get Dravis'. :P
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.