D2 Level 7 question

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D2 Level 7 question

Post by Gremalcon »

I am on level 7, it is the first level where you meet up with the robots that shoot mercury missiles. There are two entrances to the yellow level, one of which is at the bottom of a water stream. Just to the right of the yellow gate, there is a panel that you cannot open. On my map, it shows a short tunnel to just inside the yellow gate. Would someone please tell me how to open it. I have been all through that area and shot out even panel I can find but it still will not open. Thanks in advance
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

It's been a while since I played D2 so I may be confusing levels. IIRC, there is a grate near the (closed) entrance to the tunnel that goes into the yellow area. If you look through the grate, you can barely see a switch that you need to hit to open the tunnel. Try a guided missile or that bouncing plasma gun.

If this is wrong, then I'm not remembering it correctly. It might help if you give a more detailed description of the level. I would play it, but I my D2 disk is scratched and I can't install.
Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

level 7

Post by Gremalcon »

I don't know how to describe it better. It is a water level, the second one. When you leave the starting area, you can go right, to the red door, which is up a shaft. If you go left, it splits. One up and one down. If you take the tunnel that goes down, at the end you come to the yellow gate. Both the tunnel up and the tunnel down are very steep. There are two yellow gates. The other one is reached by going through an area accessed about halfway down the same tunnel and through the blue door.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Gremalcon,

pass through the yellow door and turn left. You will enter a short corridor where the ceiling gets pretty low and with a grate at its end. Somewhat behind that grate and a little around the corner there is a switch at the wall. You can just see a part of it. Shoot it to open the closed walls at the left of the corridor you are in and of the yellow door (it's at the left, right? ;))

You will find some nice powerups in the tunnel you have just opened.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

You can hit that switch and it essentially allows you to bypass the Yellow Key altogether. Level 7 is an interesting map because, despite its tremendous size, you can actually forego a great deal of it if you understand where the shoutcuts are.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Diedel wrote: From looking at it in my level editor, I wonder whether you can hit that switch at all though ...
Yes you can, it took me a long time to find that switch on my own...probably the best "Eureka!!" moment in my Descent 2 experience.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Yes, I just tried it and it worked.
Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gremalcon »

Thank you. I found the switch and hit it. I never found that before. I really appreciate it.