End of my game

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

End of my game

Post by Gremalcon »

I was playing Ace, not hotshot. I got all the way up to level 9. I was in the reactor area and died. That was one very hard level. I had almost 20 lives when I got to that level and I lost em all. Has anyone else beaten that level playing ace?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Some people make it a ritual to get through the entire campaign on Insane. I'd say it's been done. :o
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I've gone through D1 on insane, farely quickly, and had 130 extra lives to spare. D2 is a little harder because you cant just use the fusion cannon forever after level 10, but the helix and gauss will get you pretty far. And once in a while it is just so rewarding to nail theifbot dead center with a shaker missile.

In a lot of the levels pilots like me tend to leave a massive trail of carnage and distruction behind us during the manical persuit of that blasted theifbot. I think it is secret level 4 that has theif always respawn, I could camp that level for weeks.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Krom wrote:In a lot of the levels pilots like me tend to leave a massive trail of carnage and distruction behind us during the manical persuit of that blasted theifbot. I think it is secret level 4 that has theif always respawn, I could camp that level for weeks.
ROFL - that's true!
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

I think it's Secret 3 that has the infinite respawning thiefbot. Too bad you can't save in secret levels.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

But you can teleport in and out of them and save in the real level.
Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gremalcon »

What kind of controllers do you guys use? I use keyboard only. I would like to have that dual joystick set up like the controllers in a plane. Sometimes, I get all messed up and my fingers hit the wrong keys, especially in the heat of battle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Joystick + keyboard.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

Most people use a joystick, but I can aim better with a mouse.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

All levels designated as "Secret Levels" have an infinitely respawning Thiefbot if a Thiefbot is present in the mine. It's just a quirk in the game. Design your own single-player campaign and you'll get this same behavior out of the Thiefbot in a Secret Level.
Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gremalcon »

I have never encountered a thiefbot in a secret level. Is that because I always kill the theif as quickly as possible in the regular level?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

No. For the most part, Secret Levels just don't have Thiefbots, just like the boss levels tend not to have them.

Technically, the secret level and the regular level are two entirely seperate files linked to one another. With the exception of keys carrying over, what you do in one map has no effect on the other.
Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gremalcon »

In one reply, you said:

All levels designated as "Secret Levels" have an infinitely respawning Thiefbot if a Thiefbot is present in the mine.

Then in your last reply, you said:

For the most part, Secret Levels just don't have Thiefbots, just like the boss levels tend not to have them.

Please explain the seeming contradiction.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

(1) All levels designated as "Secret Levels" have an infinitely respawning Thiefbot if a Thiefbot is present in the mine.

(2) For the most part, Secret Levels just don't have Thiefbots, just like the boss levels tend not to have them.
(restatement of 1) IF a thiefbot is present in a secret level, THEN the thiefbot respawns every time you kill it, with no limit.

(restatement of 2) Most secret levels don't have any thiefbots; only one of them in the main game does (and this theifbot therefore respawns infinitely.)

In other words, in the secret levels in the main game, or in secret levels you make yourself using a level editor, there are only 2 possibilities: no thiefbot (common) or thiefbots that keep respawning (uncommon). It's not possible to have a secret level with just a single thiefbot.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

The expla--

Oh, thanks Lothar. :)
Rotten Tomato
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Rotten Tomato »

I like playing on ace. Hard but fun :P
TrueLightGuild
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TrueLightGuild »

I always use an optical mouse. It works good for me.
Jadewolf
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

keyboard

Post by Jadewolf »

ive alwayse used the keyboard for all three descent games.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

We used to always play level 27 of D1, on Insane..
Then try to beat it under 10 minutes w/o any deaths.

I think at one point we go it under 7 minutes.. But trying not to die at all, and having a time limit can be pretty fun.