New Level

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

TrueLightGuild
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

New Level

Post by TrueLightGuild »

:) I have a new level posted at :www.Levels4you.com
in the D3 section.

It is called Defcon1

Still waiting to get it posted at gameedit.com

It is a large single player level. 12.3 megs zipped
It is the final chapter in the Windmine series.
Windmine 6
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

The Subway tunnel part is mad!
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Archaeloidic wrote:I really wanted to wait 7+ days before posting it.
Really, how could anyone blame ya? :P
TrueLightGuild
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TrueLightGuild »

:) I sent the level to gameedit about 5 days ago.
I emailed them to see if they received it ( 2 days ago ) I was told they didn't.
I then thought there was a problem with the email not taking such a large file. I then decided to try Levels4you to see if they could get it. They got it and posted it the next day. I also tried Planet Descent to see if their Email would take it.

Gameedit is my favorite descent web site.
I like the others also.
I have only sent one windmine level to another web site besides gameedit, and there are six levels.

I then decided to try starkillers email, and I guess he got it because I saw it on the website tonight.

I don't think I understand 7 days ?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

There was a newbie designer on PlanetDescent who resubmitted the same map in incremental versions a half-dozen times. It became a pain to announce it in the news day after day.

This despite my warning him that PlanetDescent's archive does not exist for beta testing purposes. ;)
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

TrueLightGuild
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TrueLightGuild »

Thanks,
I didn't mean to cause any problems.
I don't usually send my levels to anyone but gameedit. I like gameedit because it has everything out front, and a list of new levels as well as a list of level reviews.
I don't have anything against the other sites but I always go to gameedit first when I log on, and link from there to any other site.

:)
I also love the DBB because I learned most everything I know from here.
TrueLightGuild
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

subway trains

Post by TrueLightGuild »

The subways had to have paths to operate right in this level, and so did the rockets.
There are about 15 paths in this level, and a lot of scripting.
Just trying to send them to another object didn't work too good, because it didn't work the same every time. Some times the trains would leave the track and chase you until they killed you.
The trains work on a frame interval to where if you are over the train track, then they are going to take off. If you are off the tracks then they just sit in their hiding place.
I did finally figure out how to move the outside B-nodes to clear all the terrain.
I just moved them up above the terrain, and the guide bot goes up and over the terrain instead of trying to go through it.
Also this connected to all the other outside B-nodes.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I like GameEdit because of the pictures and reviews with each level. GameEdit gives each level a bit of personal attention. PlanetDescent is just a faceless archive that works if you know what you're looking for, but does a poor job giving pilots a clue as to what kind of level each is.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I like gameedit for some of the same reasons as Kyouryuu, also because unlike planetdescent there are some quality controls on the levels at gameedit, levels with any sort of error will not be posted on gameedit.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

TrueLightGuild
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

errors?

Post by TrueLightGuild »

When you say errors, I hope you mean errors that prevent a completion of that level.
I know that every single player level that I have played, even the original ones, have textures that are not lined perfect.
I was playing the first level that D3 came out with, and man it had tons of textures that didn't line up good.
I think the new levels that are being put out from the editor have less mistakes like that.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

When you say errors, I hope you mean errors that prevent a completion of that level.
I know that every single player level that I have played, even the original ones, have textures that are not lined perfect.
Texture alignment doesn't count. It's major errors or issues like being unlit, having mismatched portals, concave faces you can use to exit the level, or, in the case of one level I deleted, a gaping transparent hole in the floor that flashed with HOM effect.

SP levels are (to me) an exception to those save the unlit issue, however. I have not and will not delete an SP level unless it's unlit or is an utterly sad excuse for one (a box with robots, for ex).
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

VERY NICE!!!! im playing it right now as i post. :wink:
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Ah, darn. Asrale reposted this level thinking it was a new one because I named it "Windmine - Part 6" for organization purposes. Again: darn.

E-Mailing...
Edit: E-Mailed.
TrueLightGuild
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

posting

Post by TrueLightGuild »

It is a new level, and it is WindMine 6. The name of the mission is Defcon1
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

I know. But it shouldn't be called new twice on the same page.
TrueLightGuild
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TrueLightGuild »

I took a look and I see what you mean.
The zip at Levels4you is defcon.zip
The one at gameedit is sparta.zip

I made two zips because Levels4you requires the jpg to be 640x480 and gameedit requires it to be 200x150.

:roll:
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

The .zip I posted I took from Levels4you when I saw PD's mention of it Sunday afternoon, so it's defcon.zip at GameEdit. I shrank the two given images to 200x150.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

sorry for trolling.

why do Arch and Kurupt have the same Avatar?
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I fixed the double post at PD. I'll have to get on Asrale's case for posting it again :P. I can't see why people have problems with PD's levels archive. It does have a separate area for singleplayer levels, albeit one that is somewhat out of date. Also, it has always been PD's policy to accept whatever levels are submitted, regardless of how terrible they are. (Take a look at "The Ugly Level," for instance :P.) Personally, I think it's better and more nonjudgmental this way; if you want to know how good a level is, just try it out and see if you like it. If you don't, it's easy to delete. Besides, you shouldn't rely on the opinions of others to determine what to like :).
TrueLightGuild
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TrueLightGuild »

I guess Planet Descent didn't get my upload to them either. My mail service said up to 16 megs and the file is only 12.3 megs.

I went FTP with Levels4you, so that is the reason they got it and others didn't.

I think it is good to let others know if they have errors in their levels.
This way they can correct them and then send their best work.

Funny how you can find a mistake after it has been played a dozen times, but not before.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

I don't do it that way.
I crack open all levels I receive and check them with D3Edit, then check to see if the errors I find are severe in-game (can be exploited like a concave face as mentioned). If so, I send a message back saying the level needs to be fixed.

If I purged all levels with minor errors like duplicate vertices or bad shells, there would hardly be any levels left. :roll:
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Archaeloidic wrote:Because we're on the same team, and that's our team logo?
TYVM, thats all i needed to see
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

TLG: I didn't get an email with the level. However, since it is posted somewhere online, I should be able to post it...that is if you want it posted :).
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Starkiller is alive? Haven't seen him since back in the heady days of '99.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

I talk to him on almost a daily basis. Have done so for the last 3 1/2 years. He still plays Descent 3, but not as often as he did, say, three months ago (getting a job will do that).

He no longer browses or posts on any forums on his own (including this one) because I find whatever is worth reading and send it to him.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

oh TLG, love the music selection
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

With Windmine - Part 1 to 5 I listened to "Sprawl" (by Asrale) the entire time (save the boss zone in Windmine - Part 2). That song is quite suiting for all of the levels due to the level design. I've listened to it so much while playing Windmine that, heh, I mentally associate it with the campaign.
TrueLightGuild
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TrueLightGuild »

SSC-Thunderbird...
Well, the only place I could upload it to was Levels4you. FTP

My Email doesn't seem to work too well with very large attachments.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

Great level!

Thanks for your efforts, TLG
Tangaroa
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tangaroa »

yep, it seems fairly good, some darker areas, not so flat looking and no irritating guided missile puzzles so far I think. :P

One problem though, ive placed the fuel and fuse for the star smasher ship, but i cant figure out how to open that last door, can someone please help?
TrueLightGuild
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

trap door

Post by TrueLightGuild »

Trap door below the fuel holders has a switch under it to unlock and open the star smasher tunnel door.
1. place fuel
2. place fuse
3. unlock and open big door
4. launch star smasher

#$%#$ don't run into star smasher after launched or you will fail the level

no guided missle shots in the last 7 or so levels I have made

Actually, I wanted to make it darker, but to insure the lighting was not too crummy, I added more lights than I really wanted.
I decided the outside was ok, but I would really have liked it to be darker, but getting the buildings to look right has got to be a real trick with the night atmosphere. The big moon makes it look almost daytime.
I used 4 sats to light it, and then changed them to the moon,( save textures ) and moved 3 of them somewhere out in space to where they can't be seen. Did this to get more even lighting. I took a sky texture out of merc and edited it to where it was a lot smoother, and made it darker.

Actually, I have made a newer version but won't post it. I changed a few textures I didn't like in certain rooms, and that was about it.
If needed it can be posted but I don't think there is a need, and it is a hassle for me to try and upload anything.
I didn't like the water, so I made my own. I changed the lighting on a lot of the light textures etc etc.
I always have a problem with water and fog in a room, because it seems to show dividing portals, or lines when you look at it from certain angles, so I just made it to where it would be darker, and more green water colored to where it would have almost the same effect. I could have made just one big room but Bnodes don't work very good in a giant room like that. The guidebot seems to go for the original bnodes, no matter how many you add. I think he goes for 1,2, and 3 first or something.
If you make the rooms smaller then he has no problems.
Shoku
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Review

Post by Shoku »

Well, I made it into the subway and stopped. This is a good level. I liked the custom bots and weapons (although there seemed to be a delay when laying down the custom prox mines). The design was a bit too boxy for me; reminded me a lot of descent 2, especially in the lava area (good job with that). Never thought I'd hear Loreena McKennitt in a descent game - unusual but not bad. The lighting wasn't great, but much better than some of your past levels. The guidebot got stuck on the surface once when I asked it to find the four fuses. And that's the only negative I noticed; your goals can be tiresome to achieve somtimes, but overall a well designed level.
TrueLightGuild
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TrueLightGuild »

I was watching soldier starring Curt Russel one day, and they played that song while some space craft were flying over head, so I thought I would give it a shot with the intro. I thought the intro to wing commander would have fit good too.

I put a delay on the mines so you don't get blown up when you deploy them.
They are just impact mortars used as aft chargers or slow torpedos.
They are set at about 3 second delay, so you can get away before they explode. The rear view is so you can target anything behind you.
Spirit
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Spirit »

heyas!

I was wondering, does anyone know the name of the following osf files featured in Wind Mine 6?

Buzzy.osf
Dancebot.osf.

I really loved the music and was curious about the songs. I tried to look in the readme, but couldn't find anything, so I thought I'd ask here. :)
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Well, is not bad to ask for this here on the DBB ;)
But necroposting is not a good thing to do :roll:

So better to open a new Topic regarding your question instead of bumping this one (this is from 2004!) :P

(do it before someone notices !! :o )
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Pumo wrote:Well, is not bad to ask for this here on the DBB ;)
But necroposting is not a good thing to do :roll:

So better to open a new Topic regarding your question instead of bumping this one (this is from 2004!) :P

(do it before someone notices !! :o )
lol, yeah i saw this from work. I think this is a record. nearly 3 year bump? lol.