(UPDATED) I found the x-factor in microwave cannon

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Whiteshark
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

(UPDATED) I found the x-factor in microwave cannon

Post by Whiteshark »

:x Outrageous what Outrage has done :x Even more outrageous that no one has ever told this, when I've asked why is the weapon so bad. Go try for yourself. Try level 14, kill the miniboss and the red laser bots with microwave. Use hacks or get it from the map. Now, exploit the mod bug. Open d3 piccu station (demo map with old weapons for example old concussion sounds). Now do the same to the level 14. You should use insane difficulty to make the bots sturdier.

EDIT: It seems that the mod actually made the miniboss stingers act differently. What happened with the laser bots is common with every weapon, it just happened to happen to every single one of them. ( they stop shooting and watch away ) This likely happened because this poor weapon does so little damage they got bored.

And I'm still confused what this weapon does :?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: MICROWAVE CANNON UNCOVERED

Post by Alter-Fox »

You're probably the first one to see this.
Most of the people who play games don't really care when one rare bug causes another rare bug. And we all knew Descent 3 was buggy already.

What the microwave cannon does is disrupt the bots aim and slow down their movement. It's like a lighter version of a flash missile that happens to be a primary.

And it's really good if you're playing Mercenary.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Whiteshark
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: NOPE, still don't know what microwave does.

Post by Whiteshark »

I have never seen it slow down enemies or make them shoot less accurately. I've probably tried every single bot out there. If you can recreate this, please make a vid of it!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

It's true that it's a better weapon for multiplayer... or when the robots use it. :D
But it does have an effect on most of them.
Kinda wish it had more of an effect on Thresher though...
Whiteshark
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Whiteshark »

Hmm yes I remember trying it on treshers too prayung it would make the fusions more dodgeable. Doesn't work. Fusions are really the best way of killing them, ither than secondaries. And then back to microwave, its probably a placebo. It has no affect on aim at least, don't know about the turnrate. If you find otherwise please make me a video to show me! Anyways back to testing.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

It does damage to enemies too. :lol:
Vauss and Mass Driver were my go-tos against thresher cuz they knock him back and mess up his aim. Failing that, plasma up close or emd from a distance.

And against those mass driver tanks, the weapon of choice is guided missiles. XD
Whiteshark
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Whiteshark »

Yeah, less than quad blue lasers. If that's even called damage.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Not if you're using the black pyro.
And it messes up players' view in multiplayer so you can finish them with missiles.
I win lots of fights with microwave.

Or are you talking about EMD? Well I win lots of fights with that too... they're like my go-to primaries depending which ship I'm flying.
Whiteshark
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Whiteshark »

With Magnum + Bp it's usable. Not any good though. Only usable if no super quads available. And I'm talking about sp.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Pffft... try fighting me in multiplayer some time.
It's true that most players don't use it. Gives me an even bigger advantage.
Whiteshark
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Whiteshark »

Any time ;)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Whiteshark wrote::x Outrageous what Outrage has done :x Even more outrageous that no one has ever told this, when I've asked why is the weapon so bad. Go try for yourself. Try level 14, kill the miniboss and the red laser bots with microwave. Use hacks or get it from the map. Now, exploit the mod bug. Open d3 piccu station (demo map with old weapons for example old concussion sounds). Now do the same to the level 14. You should use insane difficulty to make the bots sturdier.

EDIT: It seems that the mod actually made the miniboss stingers act differently. What happened with the laser bots is common with every weapon, it just happened to happen to every single one of them. ( they stop shooting and watch away ) This likely happened because this poor weapon does so little damage they got bored.

And I'm still confused what this weapon does :?
Well most importantly, it does damage. Other than that, I've noticed that it makes the robots wobble and contort, but I don't know if that has any practical effect. It does on players though, disorientating them.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Whiteshark
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: I found the x-factor in microwave cannon

Post by Whiteshark »

Okay mates, I found it! :)

In level 17 I noticed the microwave inherited some of my movespeed. Most noticeable it was in the speed tunnels. It works to every direction.
And whats the use for this?
Well, if you're chasing down someone the particles will reach your opponent faster. Also, it's the only energy weapon that you can efficiently use in wind tunnels. Too bad the high energy cost makes this weapon rarely effective.

Of the other primariess only emd gets speed from the tunnels, but does not get extra speed from your ship. Microwave will always move faster than your ship! It also does not get affected by the windtunnel.