Favorite D1/D2 levels of all time

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Favorite D1/D2 levels of all time

Post by LightWolf »

The name says it all. Say your favorite level (and what mission it's in if applicable).
For me, Enemy Within level 26 is on the list, as well as Lost Levels level 15. D1 level 27 is among my favorites, as well as D1L7. In terms if D1 fanmade missions, Vignettes level 14 and 25 (among the rest of the mission) are certainly in.

Basically:
EWithin 26
Lost 15
1st Strike 7/27
Vignettes 14/25
Among others

I'd like to see your opinion.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Favorite D1/D2 levels of all time

Post by Xfing »

All boss levels. This must be why you like to make boss levels so much. Because you also like to play them.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

You're correct --

-- unless the boss is too hard (such as in Driller Queen Returns - How do you expect to fight a boss that is using the "wildfire" cheat with shakers on Trainee!?)

(That's why there is the ridiculous weapons cache on all of my sol boss levels - imagine fighting the D1L7 boss with lunar gear when it's supposed to be as easy as the Quartzon boss)

On a side note, is the Quartzon boss the easiest boss for anyone else?
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Noooo, he's tricky on the high difficulties because with all the other bots to deal with it's tricky to find him before your cloak or invuln runs out. And you have to deal with them because the exit is pretty far and on Ace or Insane you absolutely need a clear path.
Easiest boss of D2 across all the difficulties is probably Baloris Prime.

Easiest boss across the all the games is most certainly the Descent 1 end boss.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Until you consider BP's boss has a higher HP (which can only be drained with energy as opposed to Quartzon) and that the Quartzon boss only spawns IT Droids. And the fact that smart mine blobs are easier to dodge than mercs. And vulcan can be less deadly than gauss. And and and... The only real difficulty for the Quartzon boss is its arena.

For D1: Once again, the only real difficulty factor is in the arena. If the arenas were swapped and retextured, the D1L7 boss is easier, hands down. With their current default arenas, however, it's a toss up for me.

Of course, it may be a different story on higher difficulties.

P.S. Anyone else got any good levels?
P.P.S. Completely forgot about my Counterstrike list: levels 3, 8, 11, 12, 15, 16 (despite the boss), all of BP (except the one with the little double-square blue key room and the red door with the pillars - was that 18 or 19?), and 22. 2, 4, 7, 10, 13, 21, and 24 are up there too.
P.P.P.S. Levels 14 and the one excluded from BP are my personal least favorites.
P.P.P.P.S. I just had to add a P.P.P.P.S. :lol:
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

It's not an argument. It's an opinion.
Your experience doesn't span all the difficulty levels in the game yet; I don't think you're qualified to tell someone who has what's what on Ace or Insane.
Quartzon boss is certainly one of the easiest on Trainee and Rookie because you can ignore most of the things that make it hard.
Have you ever tried fighting Infernal Tactical Droids on Insane? :lol: No that's not a typo.
The arena is always a big part of a fight. If you were to make a very different arena for the same enemy it would be a very different fight. That's what made the Descent Maximum campaign so interesting.
If you were theoretically looking for a how-to on boss difficulty in this thread, it would be mostly about the arena, not the boss. :D

We should get some of the really experienced players in here to tell you what's what where and when. :P
Descer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Descer »

About the Driller Queen:

Originally she should've been used BOTH Vulcan Cannon (whith more damage) and Earth Shakers. But somehow the game descided to use only the Shakers instead.

As for fire rate:

Maybe I putted it too rapid :) I didn't notice it until Returns. (The Throne Room's too laggy for my comp.)
It's just a game. Face it.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

If you can't test the level you shouldn't have made it. :lol:
You need to improve your mapping skills anyhow though. Focus on that first. :P
Descer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Descer »

I made the D1 version first and there she's just an ordinary Driller. And I DID destroy her.
I may have different philosophy for design than others (although I've never learned to adjust lights).
It's just a game. Face it.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Well as long as you're having fun that's what matters. :P
Not as though ridiculous crowds of people would flock to play this game anyhow.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Noone else likes Descent levels?
#AllLivesMatter
typematrix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by typematrix »

mystery2018
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mystery2018 »

I've always loved D1 Lvl 10 since I played the destination Saturn demo relentlessly as a kid. I remember watching the only demo that came with it featuring the level and I always looked forward to it. That and it's just nice to come out of the crowded hallways of 9 into a large open level. A very strategic level too, and I like those. 22 is too. I also like 12 and 13 too.
'Whole strength, have ye, Oh bounteous ones; perfect, earth-shakers, is your might|Marutas, against the poet's wrathful enemy send ye an enemy like a dart.

Rigveda 1:39.10