Dogfights in D2

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Dogfights in D2

Post by Xfing »

Since robots in D2 lead their shots and predict where you'll be in a second, coming out alive of a dogfight with several robots is nigh impossible, no matter how large the room is. Any hints how to dodge attacks with this improved aim?

Also, I now know why D2 didn't include the Missile Platformer, just imagine what it can do with such aiming skills :P
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Dogfights in D2

Post by Sirius »

Keep robots in front of you if possible
Change directions often - they can lead but they can't mind-read
Keep away from the walls if you can to avoid missile splash
Try to "orbit" the robots, it tends to cause them to cluster which makes them easier to manage
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

If you're on insane get rid of as many as you can before you dive in. Whatever the scenario it's usually possible to pick off a few and lure a few more out into a hallway before you take on the main force.
In the two main campaigns you very very very quickly end up with very very very many guided missiles that you don't really need for puzzles. Those are great, and smart mines too. They're wonderful because you can use them without switching away from a missile and you usually don't have to shoot them since the robots will. The only downside is since they're less available using them this way means you can't use them to take out Thief.

Let's see...
Lots of players use nothing but Gauss but in these situations but the best primaries are spreadfire, helix, and later in the game, omega. Because your goal is to quickly kill everything two of these will damage other enemies while you focus on one kill and the other will get rid of difficult targets the fastest. Omega often lets you keep firing for a few seconds if you run out of energy which is enough to kill (or at least severely wound, then fire off a missile) the big nasties like bulk destroyers and internal tactical droids, although you don't wanna use it on a seeker. Phoenix can sometimes be nice because it does so much damage but it also shoots in a straight line. Gauss is better for clearing matcens than for big fights. It doesn't have very much splash damage and getting the most out of that depends on where you're shooting which makes helix more reliable.

Lone modula you kill first -- preferably with guided missiles -- because if you get blinded you're gonna be dead before the flash wears off enough to see, but sidearms you save for last because it's much easier to dodge one slow moving enemy than five flitty ones.

Infinitely spawning matcens are a big problem in the early game but once you get past Zeta Aquilae they stop being such a threat until about the tail end of Limefrost. At that point you can find megas pretty easily and you should be firing them off with impunity. Not all matcens spawn infinitely, and most of the ones that do you can avoid triggering more than once or twice by being smart.

Prioritise targets. Movement is how you win so anybody who can counter that like a bulk destroyer, internal tactical droid, lou guard etc has to die first. Even better if you can pick those ones off before you start. Omegas can be nasty later in the fight because they can limit the directions you're able to go in without getting knocked back. E-Bandits can take away your helix, kill you really fast, and they're hard to keep track of. Anything with phoenix cannon knows how hit you from behind even when they're in front of you! :o

Oh, and at least in the main campaign I think you get many more cloaking devices than in Descent 1. If you don't pick them all up right away, you can use them to slip past fights you don't need to go back to or get yourself into a better position before you start shooting.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Ok, thanks for the advice! Of course I'll be playing all the levels from cold start, but the developers must have kept that in mind :)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

They give you what you need, although it's sometimes hard to tell. I remember one late game level in particular (although this wasn't on insane, I think it was ace) you had to play the first section like a puzzle game because while they did give you everything you needed that was *all* they gave you and if you used one missile when you shoulda used another one you'd lose all your lives.
I think there were other levels like it, I haven't cold-started them all.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Cold-starting 23 on Insane sounds horrible, to be honest.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Sirius wrote:Cold-starting 23 on Insane sounds horrible, to be honest.
Calmarius has done it :P

Well, my problem is that I would also like to go for 100% clears, unlike him. And sometimes it is indeed way, way tougher to do than just survive the level.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Eh, you do get a gauss at the start and plenty of ammo. Unless you're going for no secrets.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Level 2 is pretty funny on Insane. Finishing score post bonuses: 260300. Try doing that in D1, lol