Multi-robot bosses - how do they work?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

AlexanderBorisov
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Multi-robot bosses - how do they work?

Post by AlexanderBorisov »

Anybody knows how those multiple bosses, like in AF level 3, Obsidian L15, Entropy 2 work?
Do they share the HP or are the separate bosses? Why they all die at the same moment? How they choose destinations for teleport? Can they spawn robots or be invulnerable to smth? How AI settings, like Snipe, Follow etc affect them? Also I noticed one of them often does not teleport at all (even does not cloak), other times it cloaks and re-appears, is it a bug or normal thing? And how one is supposed to fight them, if any of them can teleport anywhere and has separate HP you just have to deal a lot of damage to every of them before one dies... In practice I always chosen the one of those which does not teleport and killed it, but not sure it is not a bug...
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Multi-robot bosses - how do they work?

Post by LightWolf »

They are separate bosses with separate HP. Parallax never anticipated level developers using multiple bosses, and thus when one dies the "boss is dead" function is called - which acts on all bots that have the boss flag set. It runs the "valid boss arena" algorithm from the first (or last?) boss it finds, but the actual act of teleporting is controlled individually by each boss. Aside from those two things, they are all tracked separately - no one boss can affect the others.

Not too sure about the AI failiure, however my best bet is that it's a side-effect of doing something with the engine you were never meant to do.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Multi-robot bosses - how do they work?

Post by kakhome1 »

Entropy 2 Level 3 must be disguise of either fire or ice boss, as it is only vulnerable to matter. But I think it moves like AF Level 3 boss (which is disguise of D1 Medium Lifter!), does not teleport (like any robot with invulnerabilities normally will).