Do you enjoy Counterstrike or Vertigo more?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Which do you enjoy more?

Counterstrike
38%
Vertigo
38%
They are tied
25%
I don't enjoy either (please check this if true regardless of how they compare to one another)
No votes

Total votes: 8
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Do you enjoy Counterstrike or Vertigo more?

Post by kakhome1 »

Basically what the title says. Focus here is on gameplay/enjoyability more so than any other aspect.
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Do you enjoy Counterstrike or Vertigo more?

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

i picked counterstrike simply because there is more levels
that is also why im excited for descent 1.5
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
Woolie_Wool
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Woolie_Wool »

Vertigo has better level design with more memorable encounters instead of robots being scattered haphazardly around the map, but I don't like any of the new robots, either in a appearance or behavior--they look ugly, most of them do the same things other robots already did (do we really need another lifter?). and they tend to have way too many HP, making them tedious to clear out. So I'm torn.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Woolie_Wool wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:15 am I don't like any of the new robots, either in a appearance or behavior--they look ugly, most of them do the same things other robots already did (do we really need another lifter?). and they tend to have way too many HP, making them tedious to clear out. So I'm torn.
You can delete the 'z' from the mn2 and get D1 robots. That makes it interesting too. :D
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Mm... They're certainly not tied for me, but I'm never sure which one I like more either. Depends on the moment.
So that's an option right? :P

BTW if I were you I'd keep this thread and ask for the others to be closed.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Well technically you could argue if you prefer one half the time and the other half the time, that's a form of tie, albeit an unusual one.

The other thread (in Level Spotlight) can be closed or deleted if desired.
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Flash hulks in Vertigo (or whatever they're called) have way too much HP compared to their physical size.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Hunter wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:00 am Flash hulks in Vertigo (or whatever they're called) have way too much HP compared to their physical size.
Lots of D1 robots had this trait, like the gophers and the missile platformers, same deal with the plasma drillers.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

True, but that was ok in D1 - it seemed out of place in D2 though when you consider giants like the sidearm or Lou guard can appear in the same level.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

The Lou Guard actually isn't all that big to be perfectly fair :D
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

at least there is no level where there is both the sidearm and the yellow fatty from what i remember
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I prefer Vertigo:
- CS gives me Brimspark Fatigue
- Vertigo has better geometry
- I have yet to see anyone else speedrun it
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Brimspark fatigue may be a thing, but in retrospect I actually really enjoy the red system. Might inspire me to make a red level of my own :P

As far as geometry and texture use go, I think I prefer Vertigo. It did go adventurous at times. As far as gameplay and difficulty go, I'll be able to tell after I get to playing the mission on Insane with no deaths. I'm leaving that for after Counterstrike.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

D1 Mars did red fine; but D2 Brimspark took it out too far and too long.

CS in general suffers badly compared to almost any other (decent) mission - official OR fanmade - in terms of keeping things fresh and varied between/within levels. Even other missions with themed units did not do it to this length and extent. (Yes, of course L1/5/9/13/17/21 are excluded, and maybe all of Zeta Aquilae, but they make you be dying for a change by the time you get there.)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

On the one hand you're quite right, but on the other hand attempting every level on Insane with no dying makes you appreciate all their intricacies and the levels start standing on their own after you've spent so much time in them. They are also a bit more varied within each theme than people give them credit for, though indeed the levels are a bit too enslaved to their theme for their own good - Vertigo remedies this very nicely. Zeta Aquilae is an obvious exception - frankly I wouldn't mind in the slightest if all of Counterstrike looked like it did - it looked fresh, modern, exciting, alien-like - basically everything that you'd expect from a continuation of Descent. While I used to underestimate the subsequent systems more than I do now, they definitely cannot match up to Zeta Aquilae's texturing. They do look much more uniform throughout, which is inevitable I guess. I'll say though that I really appreciate the texturing in Baloris Prime's level 2, it's quite varied and refreshing.

And you're right, having 4 levels of a single theme in a row is a bit too much. Descent 1 itself was not as jarring, even though its levels only loosely followed themes of any sort and some tropes repeated themselves throughout the entire mission. Vertigo is definitely the best in this regard, though it could afford to be longer.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Well as for that last point, 20 medium size levels isn't that short, and I tend to not rate things down simply because of its length, unless it is unreasonably short or ridiculously long (i.e. too long for its own good).

Insane might dull some of the repetition issue in CS, because it is much more important to learn the level and stay on your toes than to look at the texturing. Plus for true challenge seekers, longer levels = bigger challenge to do without saves/deaths (unless difficulty itself is significantly lower).

Still, as I mention, there isn't any other quality mission of any kind (official or custom) I can think of that stays hooked to the same theme over as much real estate in a row as CS does.