Re. Auto-stabilising in D 3

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Arol
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re. Auto-stabilising in D 3

Post by Arol »

To the hard-core Descentersâ?? habituating this forum, this is probably not just a case of been-there done-that, but also bought the Tee-Shirt and worn it out question. But Iâ??m having trouble with the auto-levelling in D 3. As Iâ??m linening up for a shot the ship constantly keeps tipping 90 degrees. Quite disconcerting to say the least! In the old D1-D2 games I never had that problem, besides there was a function button in the config, menu whereby you could disable the auto-leveler, I canâ??t seem to locate it here in D3. Makes sniping a bit of a problem as you can imagine, especially later when the Mass Driver becomes available. Also having a bit of trouble tracking with a new Cyborg joystick, as Microsoft in their infinite wisdom made my old SideWinder incompatible with XP, so I donâ??t know whether itâ??s a config. or a breaking â??in problem. Any solution?.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

What kind of Sidewinder? My Precision Pro 1 works perfectly well with XP.

Auto-Leveling can be set to either Off, Low, or High in the Options dialog. Press F2 in-game to access it.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

For the autolevelling, it's in the pilot config section. Press f2 in game, and search through the options. There's autolevelling stuff in there.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Options (F2 button) --> General config: terrain autolevel/mine autolevel.

-Krom
Arol
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arol »

Thanks people.
It was just a case of me not understanding the semantics of terrain/mine autolev. Now that Iâ??ve set them on medium, Iâ??m no longer tipping over like a drunken elephant.
Re., my joystick, it was a Sidewinder 3D Pro which I bought in 97-98. But as it is pre-UBS, it had to be plugged into the audiocards gameport. Which made it incompatible to XP.
DCracy - When I asked the kind gentleman at Microsofts Tech Support about the inconsistency of having a Microsoft product not yet 10 years old being rendered useless because I upgraded my operating system, I was facetiously told that certain ancillary equipment made to run in; I think it was DOS 3,21, can also no longer be used in Windows.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

auto leveling ??? what's that? hehee ;)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Arol wrote:Re., my joystick, it was a Sidewinder 3D Pro which I bought in 97-98. But as it is pre-UBS, it had to be plugged into the audiocards gameport. Which made it incompatible to XP
Uhm, XP has native support for the SW3DP built-in.. Works just fine for me on 2 different PC's w/ XPH & XPP.
Arol
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arol »

Grendel wrote:
Arol wrote:Re., my joystick, it was a Sidewinder 3D Pro which I bought in 97-98. But as it is pre-UBS, it had to be plugged into the audiocards gameport. Which made it incompatible to XP
Uhm, XP has native support for the SW3DP built-in.. Works just fine for me on 2 different PC's w/ XPH & XPP.
Using XPH I saw it listed, but no matter what I did, I got back - "NOT INSTALLED".Beats me! Anyhow now I'm starting to get the hang of this Saitek CYBORG. Thanks anyway.
P.S. AutoLeveling is somethig that helps novices like me from getting their b**** shot off!
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Windows 95 B had USB support, so the joystick was definitely made post-USB. And I believe all Sidewinders come with Gameport-to-USB adapters (I know mine did).
Arol
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arol »

Mine didn't.
Maybe Microsoft unloaded all pre-USB material over here to Europe. Where there were still at that time a number of older rigs without USB support.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Got 5 NIB SW3DP's -- none came w/ a converter..