Where will you be in 20 years?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Where will you be in 20 years?

Post by jshaner »

I personally have no idea. I have not planned out that far in my lifetime. 20 years can take quite some time, and many unexpected things can happen.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

A proper computer programmer, presumably. Also, very likely to be married.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Too difficult to call, depends on a lot of things. I'd expect to be somewhere in management/lead development, going off what happened with people in similar situations in the past. Not sure exactly what part of the software industry either, although I don't expect to switch careers in a hurry.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Seeing as I am 50, probably a 6ft hole :P
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I cant predict whats gonna happen even one year ahead, so I have no clue.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Interesting that this question should get asked at this time ... This next week my wife and I celebrate 20 years happily married. We're taking off for a couple days while we leave the children with a sitter. :wink:

20 years ago, I was a struggling student (massively in debt) studying Electronic Engineering while holding down two part time jobs (night-shift office cleaning, and Dominos delivery). Now I'm an upper level computer technician at a University and am in charge of the maintenance, service, and operation of all printing systems and copiers across the campus (over 400 devices). I even taught some Digital Electronics classes for a couple semesters just a few years ago. I own a home in a nice neighborhood, and four wonderful children of which the oldest has just graduated from High School. Life is good. :)

20 years from now, the children should all be out of the \"nest\" and I will be about to retire. 8)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Married with children.... I'm not sure of anything else.

Bee
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

TechPro wrote:This next week my wife and I celebrate 20 years happily married.
Congratulations! :D

It's only been 8 so far for Michelle and I, and our first child should arrive here in a couple of months.

20 years, let's see...

- Michelle and I will 28 years married, probably still in the Denver area somewhere
- Son will probably be in college, trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life (if he's like me, it'll take a few more years)
- I'll either still be working for the software company I'm at, or possibly have gone back to teaching (at 51, it's still too early to retire)
- Hopefully, I'll have been able to do some of the things I've always wanted to (travelling, maybe even some kind of social missions work like my brother)
- Probably lots of other things that I can't even imagine right now
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Foil wrote:- Son will probably be in college, trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life (if he's like me, it'll take a few more years)
It could be just me, but aren't people supposed to figure out what to do with their life before they go to college?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

TIGERassault wrote:
Foil wrote:- Son will probably be in college, trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life (if he's like me, it'll take a few more years)
It could be just me, but aren't people supposed to figure out what to do with their life before they go to college?
Yeah, you'd think that would be at least logical ... but probably more than 50% of the American College/University students don't really know (yet) until at least a semester or two into their higher education.

Kind of explains a lot ... :wink:
Foil wrote:It's only been 8 so far for Michelle and I, and our first child should arrive here in a couple of months.
Just a couple months left, ay? Feel ready for that event yet? :)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

TechPro wrote:Yeah, you'd think that would be at least logical ... but probably more than 50% of the American College/University students don't really know (yet) until at least a semester or two into their higher education.
Yep, that's the case for most students, and I personally think it's okay, because a lot of self discovery happens when one goes to college. I thought I knew what I wanted to do, but my major changed a couple of times during my undergraduate studies, and my career path has changed a bit since then.
TechPro wrote:
Foil wrote:It's only been 8 so far for Michelle and I, and our first child should arrive here in a couple of months.
Just a couple months left, ay? Feel ready for that event yet? :)
The baby's room isn't ready by a long shot, but I'm ready to meet him. :)
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

I HATE job interview questions!

My son will have just finished freshman year at college, and my daughter will be anticipating junior year in high school. She'll have just gotten her driver's license, and will wonder why she'll have to pay for own insurance if she wants a car. They and my wife will be living in a nicer house with solar panels on the roof charging our cars. I'll be leading software development projects, but I can't predict deeper than that, career-wise. Maybe I'll start my own transit system, or a company that installs solar panels over suburban parking lots...
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Cuda68 wrote:Seeing as I am 50, probably a 6ft hole :P
Seeing as how I got another 10 years on ya bud, I hope to be dating a 20 some year old just for the thrill of it. 8)
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Cuda68 »

woodchip wrote:
Seeing as how I got another 10 years on ya bud, I hope to be dating a 20 some year old just for the thrill of it. 8)
My Hero :lol:
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

right behind ya :shock:
Foil wrote:
TechPro wrote:This next week my wife and I celebrate 20 years happily married.
Congratulations! :D

It's only been 8 so far for Michelle and I, and our first child should arrive here in a couple of months.

20 years, let's see...

- Michelle and I will 28 years married, probably still in the Denver area somewhere
- Son will probably be in college, trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life (if he's like me, it'll take a few more years)
- I'll either still be working for the software company I'm at, or possibly have gone back to teaching (at 51, it's still too early to retire)
- Hopefully, I'll have been able to do some of the things I've always wanted to (travelling, maybe even some kind of social missions work like my brother)
- Probably lots of other things that I can't even imagine right now
just passed 27 years myself. my oldest son will turn 26 in 3 months
:shock: but I've got to admit, my 2 grandsons are a blast :D 19 months and 10 months. and with the size of my family that's just the start of a great many Grandkids to come. :)
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

Hopefully playing with grandkids. I'll be 70 if I'm still kicking. With 7 kids of my own, I have hopes for lots of grandkids.

Life has taken lots of unexpected twists over the years though, so you can't say for sure.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

All I can say is that if I had written something here describing where I'd be in 20 years, I hope I'd be wrong. I want unpredictability in life.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

What I see in my future:
-Still married to DK
-Have a few kids getting ready to hit high school
-Have a great career in Computer Accounting or Financial stuff
-Have a boat and a couple jet skis
-Still living in TN with the mountains only an hour away and living in a good neighborhood
-My book finished

Of course, all that can be definite I think when the economy stabilizes itself. Depends on who we get as the US President for the next 5 terms.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

lessee ..........
in 20 years, if I'm still above ground, I'll be 72. Hopefully entering the 2nd decade of a happy retirement.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Kiran wrote:-Still married to DK
Now that's what I call monkey business! :P
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Where will you be in 20 years?

Post by Dedman »

jshaner wrote:20 years can take quite some time,
About 20 years I 'spect. :wink:
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by []V[]essenjah »

TIGERassault wrote:
Kiran wrote:-Still married to DK
Now that's what I call monkey business! :P
LOL :D
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

in an internment camp in my own country.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

As long as I'm happy, this is all I want.
Duper wrote:in and internment camp in my own country.
Only if the Grammar Nazis have their way. :wink:
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Negatratoron »

In 20 years, I'll be 37 and insanely good at Descent 3. Beyond that, I have no idea, but right now I would like to end up exploring some field of math, programming stuff, and/or doing something involving the two best languages in the world (German and Russian) (according to me) for a living. I might or might not still be after Stephen Hawking's job, depending on how everything turns out. It would be really cool anyway to get paid to figure out how the universe works.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Not to pick on you too much, but if you're still playing Descent 3 in 20 years I really worry about you.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

P.S. adding to my previous post on this subject.

in 20 years I will have been married almost 50 years, my oldest son will be 46 my oldest grandson will be 22 :shock: I could possible be a Great Grandpa by then. I'll probably have less hair than I do now and what I do have will mosy likely be white. If they dont raise the retirement age I'll have been retired for almost 5 years. I should just about have my 1966 Plymouth project car done by then :P but gas will be $75.00 per gallon so I will not be able to afford to drive it. My house that I built 9 years ago for $70K is now worth $320K. so if the inflation stays the same it should be worth $1 million by then. all this being said ww3 could change that :o
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Hopefully playing Descent IV
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by jshaner »

Dakatsu wrote:Hopefully playing Descent IV
Or hopefully V or even IX.

I hope it doesn't take that long..
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Negatratoron »

Sirius wrote:Not to pick on you too much, but if you're still playing Descent 3 in 20 years I really worry about you.
Right, realistically Descent 3 is likely to be either dead or uttering its last breath in 20 years, but it's worth including anyway :)

The following is one third nonsense, one third tangent, and one third inspirational speech:
On the other hand... Orion 2 is old enough to have come out for DOS along with Windows. It should never have had a multiplayer feature in the first place; it takes, like, an hour just to get started in a game and then another 3 or 4 to finish it, and about half of a multiplayer Orion 2 game is just waiting for everyone else to do stuff. Many years ago, Orion 2 suffered a loss comparable to PXO going down in Descent 3. On any modern computer, it's a blasted pain to get Orion 2 configured for online play. If Orion 2 still has a healthy online community (which it does), Descent 3 can last another 20 years.

/me bows and exits the room to deliver an inspirational speech to the Orion 2 people :)