I can't wait for Nov. 4!!!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

I can't wait for Nov. 4!!!

Post by Palzon »

Resistance 2 comes out!!! W00t!!!

There are three trailers and a mini doc about the game here

I thought the ads for Resistance 2 looked cool. So I checked out the first one and loved it!!! If you have a PS3 and havent't played it yet, I highly recommend it.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

So, you went out and bought one of those oversized paper weights did you? :P
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

Resistance would a great word to describe my attitude towards all console systems until recently. I'm a devout PC gamer and had no interest in consoles. But then I decided to get one of these. There's no point having a fancy TV if you don't have Bluray. And there's little point in getting Bluray rather than a PS3. And that's all it took.

I dropped Cat5e in the wall from the living to the office so it's hardwired into my network. Then I got Tversity. Man, is it useful! For those unfamiliar, it transcodes just about any file format such that your media can stream over the network to the PS3 and display on your TV. This means that downloading something on my PC and viewing it on my TV (hearing it on my livingroom stereo) is almost instantaneous.

Best paper weight ever!!!
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Palzon wrote:...There's no point having a fancy TV if you don't have Bluray.
...downloading something on my PC and viewing it on my TV (hearing it on my livingroom stereo) is almost instantaneous.

Best paper weight ever!!!
Even better, just hook your PC up to the HDTV and livingroom sound system, and get a Blu-Ray / HD-DVD drive (got mine for under $80 on Craigslist).

That's what I did - cost me less than $130 altogether for better functionality in a simpler package:
  • PC gaming (better than PS3 gaming) @ 1080p
  • no need for streaming media across the network (it's right there)
  • Blu-Ray & HD-DVD movies (awesome)
  • perfect for NetFlix online movies
  • easy functional internet (no PS3-style browsing - ugh)
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

Some day I may do that as well. However, it would be somewhat problematic...

I'm not really interested in having a PC in my livingroom. It's bad enough I have three in the office. Cords across the floor are definitely not an option and that would mean more crawling around in my attic and more holes in my wall. Also, I don't really want a PC and a desk in my living room.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

No need for cords or a desk.

I just use a cordless mouse & keyboard (got mine for $20), and the tower fits neatly by where a console would have gone. No clutter whatsoever; even my wife likes the setup.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

LOL, I have nothing against consoles what so ever.

-You don't have to deal with DRM.
-It is well maintained and organized.
-Voice chat that is easy to use and works great!
-Games work great OUT OF THE BOX because game companies only have to develop for one software setup.

IE: Fallout 3 is a great example of the last reason I stated above. Apparently, the PC version came with some DRM software that is causing some issues. I'm not positive if it is the cause or not yet. Bethesda claims that they use the lowest form of DRM they can. It simply runs a disk check to verify that the user is using the correct disk. I can live with that unless it is the cause of all the glitches I've found. Basically, the game will randomly lock up for no reason whatsoever and reboot my machine. Now, I'm running this game on a 100% fresh install. So unless my HDD is failing... Not only this but every once in a while, graphics will start vanishing as well. They will work fine for a while and then at some point, I'll turn around or walk into a different room and they are goon *PoOf*! My buddy has the 360 version, which I almost bought off from him over the PC version. However, I'm hoping for a future release of an editor (since past editors released by Bethesda were a lot of FUN to use) and it was cheaper this way so I figured I'd rather go for the PC version and wait for a patch, which I'm hoping will be released soon.

My only gripe is with the PS3 specifically. I don't really care about Blu-Ray as DVD's are just fine for me and everything I have or want to watch is on DVD anyway. I have a 360 so I just use it as a DVD player. However, the PS3 is far more expensive and I just don't like the games out for it as much. Only one I am interested in at all over the 360 is Warhawk. The other thing is that there aren't really any games out yet that even utilize the capabilities of the PS3 so I figured, why bother, we will get another, better console before they even start to scratch the surface with the PS3. :P
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

And for Rock Band fans...

November 4th brings the Presidents of the United States DLC pack.

Sadly, no Peaches for me.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

How did Resistance 1 and, when you get to play it, how does Resistance 2 stack up to the Orange Box? After playing the Orange Box, I've found myself completely jaded and unable to enjoy typical first person shooter games, for better or for worse. :shock: I suppose that Resistance 1 is cheap enough by now to warrant trying.