Smart Phones.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Smart Phones.

Post by JMEaT »

I really haven't posted any interesting topics here lately. So I figured why start now?

Who here uses a Smart Phone of some type? (Blackberry, iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android, Palm etc...) Do you like 'em? Do you find yourself wondering how you got along before you got it?

My wife and I picked up a Palm Pre back in July and we both are in love with them. I love having the Internet at my fingertips all the time as well as Google Maps, GPS, Email, Calendars, Facebook, the news... the list goes on. The monthly bill is a little higher than our old dumb phones, but to us, the expense is worth it!

Anyone care to share?

:)
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Positively love it. I have a blackberry through sprint and work as field tech. I am never lost and always in very, very easy contact with my co-workers, friends and manager and like you said constant access to the internet is a huge plus.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I don't have one, and haven't had much inclination to get one for a long time, but I think my next phone may well be a smartphone; many of the things listed above would be handy to have sometimes (pulling out a laptop all the time can be awkward).

The main \"but\" is related to just how much time I spend without access to a computer anyway. It doesn't evaluate to a lot. On the other hand, when travelling I imagine it can be helpful to check up just where you are - or figure out whether you're on the right street for the shop you're looking for...
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

The BlackBerry 8830 had the best UI for making calls and managing phone numbers. Copying and pasting data from one application to another was very important to me and why I couldn't stay with a PALM phone. Copying and pasting was done with key commands. In fact there were a few key commands that worked with all proprietary applications that made getting work done on your phone possible. The free version of excel was also handy at times.

Even now that I'm a skype user and have no need for a cellphone I still use my blackberry 8830 as a password keeper, mp3 player, and video player (*.3gp). The notes on it are so important that friends and family need them sometimes.

I don't know how long I will need this mini computer or if it will ever be connected again to Sprint. But I like it very much.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

I also have a blackberry 8830 world edition. Mine's through Verizon and I love it. Friends are constantly praising it and finding it useful when we go out. I do everything on mine. I have tasks, calendar, email all connected to the Internet and/or synced so when I access my PC, everything is the same.

I'm a fan.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

I've never understood the whole smart phone craze.

Right now I live in Japan and use a Softbank 821SC. It's pretty much perfect for me since it lets me talk to people and send emails, along with some fairly useless stuff, like watching TV. It's simply and looks great.

One thing that bugs me about smart phones is that they're all freakishly ugly to me - the iPhone looks like something out of Star Trek (in a bad way), the Blackberry and similar devices look too busy and have so many features I'll never need that I just don't see the appeal.

I admit to being brainwashed by Japanese phone aesthetics, though - phones here are all sleek, rectangular flip-top models with buttons you can actually press, unlike most phones in the US which are too tiny and too round if they don't have more buttons than a NASA computer on them. :P

I stick to using my computer for computer things. I don't need my phone to do that.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Firewheel wrote:One thing that bugs me about smart phones is that they're all freakishly ugly to me - the iPhone looks like something out of Star Trek (in a bad way),
Funny article you might like (some bad language):
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

That's a great link Issac! I found it very amusing.
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

8350I, with direct connect and WiFi, work pays the bills, I'm still finding out all the stuff this thing can do.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

HTC had a cool netbook with a build in broadband card. Now they just make trendy phones that no one likes.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I've been really happy with my Palm and Sprint's service. My only complaint is the battery doesn't last as long as I would like with heavy use (IE: Days I'm out of the office out and about.)
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

That's good that you like it. But I think your with the battery is common even for the Iphone.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Yes, everyone I work with has an iPhone. They say the same things.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Apparently there's a new app for it that automatically e-mails everyone in the office every day to ask if they have an iPhone charger.

I read this in one of the scrolling bits at the bottom on an Onion broadcast.

Yes, I know. Thanks for your concern.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

HTC Touch Pro here.

It's fantastic. I've had a smartphone for 5 years now, and it is everything I need and want. I can get an application for free anywhere in the world without restrictions, and I can write my own software without restrictions. I have full encryption on the MiniSD card (8gb for now) so I can have secret stuff on there without worries. (The battery is even replaceable! Such novelty)

My bill is not much higher than a regular phone. I have my dad on my plan and I pay $100 a month.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

[invalid session error]
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Re:

Post by JMEaT »

Isaac wrote:Image
Funny! But also very true. The common mortal just wants to get their email and Web on. Mobile devices fill that roll nicely.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

JMEaT wrote:
Isaac wrote:Image
Funny! But also very true. The common mortal just wants to get their email and Web on. Mobile devices fill that roll nicely.
The next stage will be ocular implants.