6DOF Game Miner Wars

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Merlin, at that rate, the original Descent4 project could have taken up ten years to gain the proper rights. I recall a post by Valin Halcyon stating it would take ten years. It was more than likely a random time period thrown out for example purposes, but by now we could have gotten it. :)
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

I'm optimistic as well. I kicked in on this a few months back and I'll have the mmo when it's released as well (assuming it's released). You have to give them credit that at least when they clarified that the mmo was separate they still gave you time to jump in and get both for original price. I spent $13. I spend that on beer in a weekend easily.

I'm a little skeptical as well but for those peanuts and my jonesing after all the teasing and dead projects over the years it's worth it to me that my little bet might help keep them afloat long enough to make it really happen. I'm going with the positive attitude and we'll see what happens.

More power to ya Marek and Psion. Hopefully I'll see you guys in the game one day. That's not the old TA Marek is it? Hats off Psion! It's been awhile man.

...fyi I bought it after some consideration back in November - viewtopic.php?t=17566&highlight=
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Core Decision
Into Cerberon
Event Horizon
Miner Wars

Only Miner Wars has gotten past a simple tech demo (Into Cerberon kind of did, but it was a mod). I know how hard it is to get video game project going, so congrats!

I'm not as much of a video game nerd as I used to be, but when it comes out, I'll buy it!
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: 6DOF Game Miner Wars

Post by psionik »

Sorry I haven't been back to update yet - school got me by the balls right now

This is out today, was just linked in dev chat.

Intel info/Proof update:

http://www.intel.com/cd/software/partne ... 468726.htm
There's just enough religion in the world to make men hate one another but not enough to make them love.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

AWESOME, thanks for the updates!
seeker3
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by seeker3 »

PROOF POINT
“Our goal is to make Miner Wars run great— at 60 fps— on high-end systems,
but we’re also making it run well on smaller computers so it can be enjoyed
by netbook users.”

Right now I have a Desktop with a P4 2.8 gig oc'd to 3.0 gig 2.5 gig of ram and a Radeon X1650 Pro AGP. I hope to get a better system by the time Miner Wars comes out,but would my current system be able to run it? Either on XP or 7 which I dual-boot? If the sys requirements are posted somewhere else,please forgive this post :oops:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

seeker3 wrote:PROOF POINT
“Our goal is to make Miner Wars run great— at 60 fps— on high-end systems,
but we’re also making it run well on smaller computers so it can be enjoyed
by netbook users.”

Right now I have a Desktop with a P4 2.8 gig oc'd to 3.0 gig 2.5 gig of ram and a Radeon X1650 Pro AGP. I hope to get a better system by the time Miner Wars comes out,but would my current system be able to run it? Either on XP or 7 which I dual-boot? If the sys requirements are posted somewhere else,please forgive this post :oops:
I run the demo on a P4 3ghz, 2 gigs ram and Nvidia 7600GT (AGP) and yes it runs but it bogs down when there are a lot of explosions.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

psionik wrote:Intel info/Proof update:

http://www.intel.com/cd/software/partne ... 468726.htm
Looks like a copy of the Intel promotional write-up which was previously only found on the MW site (link). Good to see that it's on the Intel site as well.

Honestly, though, I'm more interested in the claim that Miner Wars will be "featured"/"showcased" at the Game Developer's Conference in a few days. I still can't find anything to confirm that.
seeker3
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by seeker3 »

Ok thanks CDN_Merlin, I went to the Miner Wars FAQ and found this:

What are the minimum System Requirements?

* CPU: 2.0 GHz
* RAM: 1GB (1.5GB on Windows Vista)
* Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce 6 series or better, ATI Radeon R520 (X1300-X1950) or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better. Requires at least Pixel-Shader 3.0.
* Video Memory: 128 MB
* Hard Drive: 1 GB
* Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
* Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Microsoft Vista
* DirectX: DX9.0c or DX10
* Network: Active internet connection during installation and during game play! (This may be changed in the future for certain play modes).

It is vital that your graphics card supports Pixel Shader 3.0.

So I would have to run on it low settings if I don't upgrade my comp.

P.S Anybody got a dual core and mobo they would care to donate or sell cheap to a worthy cause,namely moi? :roll:
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

http://www.minerwars.com/News.aspx wrote:Intel will be showcasing Miner Wars 2081 in the upcoming GDC 2011, March, in San Francisco - http://www.gdconf.com/
MinerWars wrote:
Foil wrote:...there is no information anywhere by GDC or Intel to corroborate this. Can you provide any outside confirmation?
A: Intel probably wants to announce it later, right before GDC, ... I don't know exactly.
This is odd.

According to the people running the Intel exhibits at the GDC, Miner Wars is not being "showcased" or "featured". In fact, it is not even on their radar as a 'target app' to be shown or demo'd at all.

Would one of the MW developers explain this discrepancy?
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Is uplink studios (and Psionik) involved in MW?

Also interested if Marek is TA Marek?
Fighting villains is what I do!
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

ReadyMan wrote:Is uplink studios (and Psionik) involved in MW?

Nope - Uplink studios is not involved one bit.

Sounds like Psionik is though.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

TA Marek lived near Toronto when I met him. He was into programming at that time. He was Polish IIRC. I had wondered the same thin myself.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

We have public meetings every Saturday at 1:00 PST, feel free to join and ask any questions you may have.

Teamspeak info:

minerwars.workisboring.com:9989
pass MW

This week's meeting is about to start.
There's just enough religion in the world to make men hate one another but not enough to make them love.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

ReadyMan wrote:Is uplink studios (and Psionik) involved in MW?

Also interested if Marek is TA Marek?

Marek is not TA Marek.

Yes, I work for Keen Software House and some of my work is in the game. I created the space station and our art director Slobodan worked with another of our programmers, Michal, to revise it for the demo, it's still not complete as it was more of a test for internal structures than a beauty piece. It hasn't been updated due to upcoming engine changes that involve our new editor, lighting and LOD, so a whole new station will soon take its place. The debris pilot and the ship model at the beginning of the trailer are mine as well, and I've modeled a couple other ships from our artists' concept art that aren't in the game yet. Uplink is totally unrelated to Miner Wars and I only talk to Zach occasionally.

Geocore is my personal project, separate from Core Decision and Uplink, and that is on hold until I get to the point in school where I can do the programming it requires, and in the meantime I am trying to get a permanent position with Keen and integrate my experience and ideas from the mines with their team and hopefully help the game feel more like home to the Descent veterans.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Foil wrote:
This is odd.

According to the people running the Intel exhibits at the GDC, Miner Wars is not being "showcased" or "featured". In fact, it is not even on their radar as a 'target app' to be shown or demo'd at all.

Would one of the MW developers explain this discrepancy?
I put your query to the folks at KSH on the Miner Wars forum Foil. Marek's reply can be found here.
Marek wrote: we didn't attend GDC so I don't know when or how Intel showcased Miner Wars. We didn't speak with them yet.
But they requested video and demo material, so I assume they weren't just joking around.

BTW, here is Intel's success story on Keen: http://www.intel.com/cd/software/partne ... 468726.htm
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Gekko71 wrote:I put your query to the folks at KSH on the Miner Wars forum Foil.
Thank you, Gekko!
Marek wrote: we didn't attend GDC so I don't know when or how Intel showcased Miner Wars. We didn't speak with them yet.
But they requested video and demo material, so I assume they weren't just joking around.
Marek clearly assumed too much, then. Because according to the Intel guys, MW was not only not "featured", it was never even a target-app for their displays.

Follow-up question: If Marek believed Intel was really going to "feature" Miner Wars at the GDC, why was no one from the MW group there?
Marek wrote:BTW, here is Intel's success story on Keen: http://www.intel.com/cd/software/partne ... 468726.htm
I'm sorry, but Marek is still taking liberties with marketing. That "Success Story" was written by a third party, NOT Intel.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Follow-up question: If Marek believed Intel was really going to "feature" Miner Wars at the GDC, why was no one from the MW group there?
I agree with a lot of what you've said Foil, it all does seem kind of strange. But give them a break here - I work for a company where we get represented at big trade shows quite frequently by companies larger then ourselves. Sometimes our personell are there, sometimes we aren't. It just happens.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Thenior wrote:...Sometimes our personell are there, sometimes we aren't. It just happens.
Okay. Still seems very strange, considering the "We're going to be featured by Intel!" claim, but I'll grant that a development group can't always make it to trade shows.
Fiend
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fiend »

very impressive pre-alpha demo... I'm in