RIP Tom Clancy

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

RIP Tom Clancy

Post by Tunnelcat »

Damn, only 66 and he's passed away. He wrote many excellent and thrilling military and espionage books, for a nerdy insurance salesman. Bye, bye Jack Ryan. :(

http://news.yahoo.com/bestselling-u-aut ... 24206.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: RIP Tom Clancy

Post by Isaac »

I'm embarrassed to say that I've only played the games with his name on them and have not read a single one of his actual works. That being said, I loved the original Ghost Recon. Though I have no idea what the storyline was (the only part of the game Clancy probably worked on), it was one of the best military sims for a long time.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Tom Clancy is one of those authors that I enjoy, but only in one book doses.

A lot of his books are big giant epics which take a while to get through, and "fill me up" by the time I'm done.

My favorite of his is "The Hunt for Red October."

Issac, you should give him a try... I'd say start with Red October or Rainbow Six, but that's just me.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Isaac wrote:I'm embarrassed to say that I've only played the games with his name on them and have not read a single one of his actual works. That being said, I loved the original Ghost Recon. Though I have no idea what the storyline was (the only part of the game Clancy probably worked on), it was one of the best military sims for a long time.

Don't forget Rainbow 6. 8) (remember how that one pushed everyone's systems to the limit?)

Really though Issac, if you played the games, then you pretty much read his book as the games were modeled after various titles he had published.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The Rainbow 6 book was very good too. Long, but good, and you got the back story on the main characters that the game couldn't delve into. I liked the Splinter Cell game series the best, at least until Ubisoft borked it up. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

tunnelcat wrote:Damn, only 66 and he's passed away. He wrote many excellent and thrilling military and espionage books, for a nerdy insurance salesman. Bye, bye Jack Ryan. :(

http://news.yahoo.com/bestselling-u-aut ... 24206.html
Bye bye The Snake...John Clark
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

WHAT?!??!?! :(
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Patriot games
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt