Geocore

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

PSION
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Geocore

Post by PSION »

Heya... I would like to make a fresh start on updating my project (Geocore) here, as I know some people are still wondering what is going on with it. Can I pretty please get a subforum along with the other projects in 6DOF Development?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Geocore/ ... 825?ref=hl

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/geocore

sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Geocore

Post by sdfgeoff »

Oddly enough, I googled this project only a week ago to see how it was getting on.

My main critique is the sound design. Descent's sounds are very atmospheric, and sound deadly.
Geocore's sounds sound rather, well, hollow. Like someone was beating the end of a trash can while shooting wimpy blobs of colour at you. Try adding some more low-frequency sounds to it. Maybe even just drop the pitch an octave or two.
Another crit is level design, but I don't think you've started that yet.
My final crit is the 'glowyness factor.' Geocore has intense colors, the fusions (equivalent) are pure red, and emit red light. But as I pointed out to another person a couple days ago, color is not light. Here's my quick demo:
This is not a light:
light1.jpg
light1.jpg (4.32 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
Even though it has an impact on the environment around it.

But this is a light:
light2.jpg
light2.jpg (5.15 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
Generally the human eye tends to perceive the emitter as being, if not white, closer to white than the light it emits.

Other than that, I like how it's coming along.
I would have downloaded and played the demo, but I don't want to install desura. Is there any other way to try it?
Eh?
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

You may have comfused my game with Neon, as there is no demo out and Neon is on Desura. Your point about lights is valid, I only use vertex colors for placeholders or small accents. The sound of the ship itself in Geocore is an ever present sub bass tone that clashes with anything that gets too low in the gun sounds. That said, none of the sounds are final and will be revisited for certain. I am only able to work on one thing at a time, and right now I am focused on getting a better playable build in place for a Greenlight release.
There's just enough religion in the world to make men hate one another but not enough to make them love.
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

You are quite right, I was mistaken when I mentioned desura, that is indeed NeonXSZ
Eh?
PSION
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by PSION »

If you are interested in testing I am about to run a session. Add me to Skype: sonikssp
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Weapon shots:

There's just enough religion in the world to make men hate one another but not enough to make them love.