How say you .gif

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Which "g" sounds right for .gif?

"g" as jump or Jiff, like the peanut butter.
24%
"g" as in graphics or God.
76%

Total votes: 17
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

How say you .gif

Post by Tunnelcat »

The guy that created the .gif, or graphics interchange format, says that it should be pronounced with the "g" sound as in "jump" or "Jiff". I say since it denotes a "graphics" format that the "g" should be pronounced as in "graphics" or "God". What say everyone?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/22/tech/web/ ... index.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: How say you .gif

Post by Jeff250 »

It's pronounced "png"/"ping". :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Jeff250 wrote:It's pronounced "png"/"ping". :P
x2
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Jeff250 wrote:It's pronounced "png"/"ping". :P
x3
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Those that call gifs "jiffs" have got to be the same group of people that call all cokes "pop" and pronounce aunt as "UUNT", instead of "aynt".
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

well that's stupid. As "Graphics" uses a hard "g" .. it would only make sense.

Whatever. It's like a friend of mine pronounces gigbytes with a "j" ...first "g", not the second. o_0

and yes X4 on png. great format. Use it all the time at work. I love it when someone says..what's a png? :mrgreen:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Duper wrote:well that's stupid. As "Graphics" uses a hard "g" .. it would only make sense.

Whatever. It's like a friend of mine pronounces gigbytes with a "j" ...first "g", not the second. o_0

and yes X4 on png. great format. Use it all the time at work. I love it when someone says..what's a png? :mrgreen:
Yeah, it's kind of stupid. Graphics is pronounced with a "guh" sound, not a "juh" sound, but the creator was adamant on TV that it was supposed to be the "juh" sound. Maybe he was eating Jiff peanut butter and it made his tongue stick to the roof of his mouth when he tried to say ".gif and the rest is history. Either that, or he flunked English 101. :P

Every time I see the .png suffix, I think of ping pong for some reason. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Whenever I see the .png suffix I think “oh no, another amateur artwork submission”.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I immediately reject any submission that isn't a *.bmp, *.pcx, or *.msp.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

because the topic makes me roll my eyes and it's fun to watch people 'sperg out*, when people argue about this nonsense - i'll tell them that i pronounce it: Zha-eye-ff
the Zha sound as in Jacques Cousteau.
i can't remember who popularized this, either VlogBros or PBS Idea channel.

*it's not just fun, it's a useful reveal of character. Psychology is fun shutup.

IRL i pronounce it the ordinary G way, and ppl who use the J way instantly look like pretentious children in my eyes, but it's ok i'll get used to it, every trend settles into the culture eventually. It's be a "hey remember when?" moment to reminisce about in the future. To argue about it though, as if it matters, what on earth, wow who gives a flying ★■◆●.
It's like hating on Crocs, or Bieber, or Twerking. It's all a reveal of character. ie: Why u hatin for? Why u mad bro? Srsly, y. Is this pile of beans actually adding up to a total height resembling a hill?
It's like laughing at kids being dorks (ie: being kids). WTF stop that. Do we get something outof hating on others? Meh.
wow what was the topic again?

[youtube]znodcpMzcnA[/youtube]

:)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

lol

[youtube]BTZptr70JIo[/youtube]
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Spidey, I use PNG as it's fairly compressed, better res than jpg and carries a transparency layer.

Jeff, why?
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

If it can't import into WordStar for Windows, then it isn't worthy anyways.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

*smirk*

:lol:
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Speaking of pronunciation fails...

--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Duper wrote:Spidey, I use PNG as it's fairly compressed, better res than jpg and carries a transparency layer.
Came here to say that. PNG is lossless and supports color management. Sure it's not ideal for print, but not horrible either. A good pre-press operator can handle anything.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well, I wasn’t really busting on the .png format per se, it’s just that any submission in a raster format, usually indicates the creator doesn’t understand how to create original artwork for my business, which uses vectors in general.

Rasters are ok but should be high res, and Black & white (single bit) most people can’t even discern grayscale from B&W let alone all of the full color images I receive.

You have no idea how many people submit full color (32 bit) images that are Black and white, and can’t understand what the hell is wrong. "well it is black & white?"

This is a typical day at my office….

Customer sends me a low resolution full color bitmap, I tell the customer I need a high res B&W original, they take the picture, resample and convert it to grayscale, then resubmit it.

Now it’s a high res POS.

If I tell them I would prefer a vector, they use a POS trace program like Adobe, then submit that unusable garbage, if they even know what a vector is in the first place.

Well enough of this…
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Don't talk about vectors in a raster thread! :P

Another reason to use .png: IE6 cannot render them.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

welp, for what I do Spidey, png. is fine. most images are less than 3" on a side more like an inch, cut, cropped and resized from 3200 pix. on a side. ;)

The resolution isn't needed. If it was, I might use Tif or Tga, but I'm trying to keep windows docs to a manageable size. (2 meg and under). Or the Excel files to under 10 meg. :roll:

I hate making process docs in excel. Wrong tool.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I just pronounce the letters for graphical extensions. "jiff" grates on me. :P

It bugs me to no end when the local newspaper requests a .jpg for our ad, because typically they have to work with the file, and then they blithely re-compress it (it gets smaller every time, so that's a good thing right? :P). I've found that local businesses haven't been able to work with my .tif images--a loss-less format I was introduced to by my dad a long time ago, which was used in the print shop he worked in for brochures, etc. Amateurs. :P

You try to help people out and they say "can you just send me a .jpg?" Sometimes it feels like a Happy Gilmore response would be the best. ;)
Roid wrote:i'll tell them that i pronounce it: Zha-eye-ff
Heh!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, JPEG is no good for printing - you'd think they'd realize that?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

jpg. What the quality cranked up is fine for most applications. It isn't that lossy. If you crop a picture way down then stretch it out to some huge size like 1200x1200 then yeah, you're going to get all kinds of grain. Sarge, what size are you using in the finished product? (just curious)

If you're doing professional printing, that's a different matter. That ALL being said, gif really isn't needed any more as bandwidth and storage concerns relevant in the same manner as when that format was created. Animation is about all it's good for ..in my opinion. I know a number of people that like it. *shrug*
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

It's the question of "right tool for the specific job". In my experience (mostly graphics-driven desktop/tablet applications), .png is rarely the right tool, but in certain cases it works fairly well. For example, items needing transparency which are always displayed at a given scale, like dialog overlays and menu icons, .png can fit the bill.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Thanks to the advent of DPI fetishism, I'm not too sure you can guarantee even that anymore - unless you redraw it multiple times for each supported scaling factor.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

What begs the next question. L-ee-nux or L-ii-nux.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Short "i", like in "tin".
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

That's what I thought too. I watched a video where they introduced Linus Torvalds and they pronounced his first name with a short i. My brother-in-law who actually introduced me to Linux and is a pretty gifted programmer himself fights me to this day and pronounces it with a long i.

EDIT: Come to think of it, He's the one I got the 5 floppies with Descent on them too.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Linus pronounces "linux" with a short "i". It's definitely the most natural pronunciation in English, and the fact that the "i" in "unix" is also short probably doesn't hurt either.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

That's why I pronounce it "l-ih-nukes" ;)
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Speaking of Linux, I call xfce "Ex face".
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

flip wrote:What begs the next question. L-ee-nux or L-ii-nux.
That is a misuse of "begging the question." Begging the question is a logical fallacy that assumes the conclusion.

And it would be L-in-ux, as in "in".

And as for the OP, I leave this:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's rich! Maybe the creator of the gif needs to watch it! :lol:

I like this one. It's a Discover Ad, but it's pretty funny.

[youtube]btaq-S25mFg[/youtube]
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I cant ★■◆●ing stand that "frog protection" ad.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Or, depending on context, can also mean to determine the pronunciation of another word that is also in great dispute. What should have been which anywho.

"In modern vernacular usage, "to beg the question" is sometimes used to mean "to raise the question" (as in "This begs the question of whether...") or "to dodge the question".[2]"

I meant 2 :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Avder wrote:I cant **** stand that "frog protection" ad.
Ah, you're a party pooper Avder. Try this experiment with the ad. Whenever fraud or frog is spoken, they sound the pretty much the same until a visual reference is associated with the word in question. For example, when the guy is holding the frog and you hear him speak the word frog, your brain immediately locks in on frog. But when you see the telephone guy talking and he says fraud, your brain knows he said fraud. Now try and listen with your eyes closed. Bet you can't easily tell those two words apart without the visual cues. :wink:
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

tunnelcat wrote:
Ah, you're a party pooper Avder. Try this experiment with the ad. Whenever fraud or frog is spoken, they sound the pretty much the same until a visual reference is associated with the word in question. For example, when the guy is holding the frog and you hear him speak the word frog, your brain immediately locks in on frog. But when you see the telephone guy talking and he says fraud, your brain knows he said fraud. Now try and listen with your eyes closed. Bet you can't easily tell those two words apart without the visual cues. :wink:
Won't work. I've unintentionally memorized too much of it because it was on so ★■◆●ing often during the Stanley Cup Playoffs this year. Brain will just replay it and fill in any blanks for me regardless of if I can see it or not.

Also I can distinguish a g from a d.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

tunnelcat wrote:
Hehe. I've never seen that ad before, but that's funny! I can distinguish between the two with my eyes closed pretty easily. Time to get better speakers, TC. ;)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Cheater. I bet you watched it first. You can't unsee. :P
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Stop changin' the rules on me. Of course I watched it first. :P Don't hate me because I'm Superman... ;)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

flip wrote:"In modern vernacular usage, "to beg the question" is sometimes used to mean "to raise the question" (as in "This begs the question of whether...") or "to dodge the question".[2]"
It's one of those former mistakes like "a whole nother" that's slowly become accepted.