A Portal Movie!?!??!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

A Portal Movie!?!??!

Post by Duper »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2697668/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_4

Huh! Abrams is at the helm so we'll see.
Interesting!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: A Portal Movie!?!??!

Post by Isaac »

Dang, if it's based on portal 2 I really need to go play it.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Portal 2 has most of the story, so I'd figure if you're going to make a screenplay, it'll draw heavily from that.

I'm not sure what to think about Abrams being involved though.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Why? Are you not a fan? He's done pretty well with everything I've seen so far.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

...lol.. we won't mention Cloverfield...oh wait.. I just did.
;)
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

cloverfield over into darkness, seriously?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Those where good. Y'all would ★■◆● about anything
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Isaac wrote:Dang, if it's based on portal 2 I really need to go play it.
Yeah, you do. Portal two is a must play. Totally worth the 20 bucks.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Hell, it was totally worth the $50 I paid to pre-order it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Portal 2 was an ok movie.

Portal (1) was a great video game.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Only because Portal 2 was easier to beat. :wink:

I thought it had a better story line than Portal 1 however.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Portal was very heard compared to Portal 2 but P2 was much more enjoyable.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It's mainly the Star Trek movies, yeah. They were passable, mass-market appeal, good characters - but the stories weren't fantastic. Particularly the second one, which was trying so hard to echo Wrath of Khan that it killed suspension of disbelief for anyone that had seen it. One parallel is just "hah, funny that", but when every iconic scene is copied and reversed, that kind of thing wouldn't just happen.

Though, sure, it's possible that not all of this is JJ Abrams' fault.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Sirius wrote:...Particularly the second one, which was trying so hard to echo Wrath of Khan that it killed suspension of disbelief for anyone that had seen it.
Or anyone who'd just heard of it. I literally invented a theory about what I thought a minor plot element could be, as a joke... I turned out not only to be right but my minor point was the driving force of the entire plot. :lol:
And I had not seen the Wrath of Kahn ever.

Was still fun to watch but after that I couldn't watch it as a serious movie. At least I got to be right. :D
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Sirius wrote:It's mainly the Star Trek movies, yeah. They were passable, mass-market appeal, good characters - but the stories weren't fantastic. Particularly the second one, which was trying so hard to echo Wrath of Khan that it killed suspension of disbelief for anyone that had seen it. One parallel is just "hah, funny that", but when every iconic scene is copied and reversed, that kind of thing wouldn't just happen.

First of all, your nostalgia glasses are on a bit too tight. The quality of acting and story is really no different. If anything it's better, because the bar was never set as you might think it was.
every iconic scene is copied and reversed
That was cool! If they didn't do stuff like that, what's the point of an alternate timeline? They should do that to some degree in every film, here on out.

Son, I'm am not mad. Just a little disappointed.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Star Trek movies have seldom if ever been great in the storyline department, no. These ones didn't get better, though. Unless there's some reason for the weird deja-vu (and if there was it wasn't explained), then those kinds of tricks just don't work. They remind you that you're watching a contrived work of fiction rather than anything that you can get into.

There is no problem with the acting, at least that I could pick up on. I don't usually see big-budget Hollywood films blow it with casting, though.

The main concern as it relates to Portal is that... Hollywood sci-fi is good at the popcorn, not so much at anything actually intelligent. I can't think of anything that would make them egregiously wreck in the Portal IP off the top of my head, but it doesn't stop me feeling uneasy about it.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Sirius wrote:Star Trek movies have seldom if ever been great in the storyline department, no. These ones didn't get better, though. Unless there's some reason for the weird deja-vu (and if there was it wasn't explained), then those kinds of tricks just don't work.

Of course there is! You've either forgotten or don't know that these are basically part of a big time travel series. Spock and that other alien ship went back in time and changed everything by doing things out of order. Spock's home world being destroyed (edit: apparently that never happened before, so that's an even bigger change) and Kirk's father dying early being the two big ones. The time line has been changed.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yes, but why would time-travel magically cause Kirk and Spock to switch roles?

(spoilers incoming for anyone that hasn't watched the movie, excuse me)

We went back to earlier in the timeline courtesy of the "reset". Things changed, but other things remained the same. So Khan hadn't been taken care of yet, and needed to.

That makes sense.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is how this played out in a series of scenes that mirrored what happened in the "other" timeline but for completely different reasons and with roles changed. Spock doing the "KHAAAAAN" thing is plausible in isolation, because well, things happen.

But when you had Kirk take the trip to the reactor (Spock did it in WoK), take a fatal dose of radiation, come back and also do that hand-to-the-glass thing - and the dialogue lines were practically copy-pasted but spoken by different characters - that's just... why would that happen? Why would the scene look so uncannily like Wrath of Khan that it's not just statistically improbable, but effectively impossible, for it to happen by coincidence? Is there some unseen force causing this kind of symmetry?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

It's called the writer/producer thought it would be cute. This is fiction. That's the only reason. Just like using so much lens flare that the ship looked like a flying I-store. :P
Abrams loves cheese. He's mentioned that in more than one of his interviews.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I had a feeling of that, but it's one of those things that's so obvious it really grates. If I spent much time critically thinking about what I'm seeing in a movie it'd be hard to enjoy anything, but it's hard to overlook something that tries to be noticed.

While looking around last night I did come across a theory that "the timeline is trying to heal itself", but I don't know whether that comes from official sources or just some fan conjecture. I can't recall it coming up during the movies themselves.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Sirius wrote:Yes, but why would time-travel magically cause Kirk and Spock to switch roles?

First of all, it makes more sense for the captain of the ship to die for his crew, which is what Kirk's father did in the previous film and what Kirk tried to do earlier, when trying to bargain his life, for the safety of his own crew. If anything, this makes more sense than Spock doing something like that, because it's Kirk's legacy.

Sirius wrote: (spoilers incoming for anyone that hasn't watched the movie, excuse me)

We went back to earlier in the timeline courtesy of the "reset". Things changed, but other things remained the same. So Khan hadn't been taken care of yet, and needed to.

That makes sense.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is how this played out in a series of scenes that mirrored what happened in the "other" timeline but for completely different reasons and with roles changed. Spock doing the "KHAAAAAN" thing is plausible in isolation, because well, things happen.

But when you had Kirk take the trip to the reactor (Spock did it in WoK), take a fatal dose of radiation, come back and also do that hand-to-the-glass thing - and the dialogue lines were practically copy-pasted but spoken by different characters - that's just... why would that happen? Why would the scene look so uncannily like Wrath of Khan that it's not just statistically improbable, but effectively impossible, for it to happen by coincidence? Is there some unseen force causing this kind of symmetry?
The logic behind why their roles seem so perfectly switched leads to the fact that either one of them would have gone to the reactor. It might be that no matter how many times you redo it, either one of them would have gone to the reactor. The changing factor could be who was closer. Kirk being a symbol of bravery and Spock being one of logic.

People that know each other really well, who can finish the other's sentences, might say similar things if their situations are switched. On top of that, the context is different. Spock calls Kirk his friend, because they're old friends that have been through decades of adventure. Kirk calls Spock his friend, because they're new friends and he didn't want to die without him knowing that. So the symmetry is coincidental. And if that sounds like bull★■◆●, read on.

Anyone that accuses a space fantasy of not being logical is kind of hitting easy target. This can be done with every Star Trek film. To say that this film isn't living up to the Star Trek standard is almost a cop-out in regards to rationalizing the story. So if you're not prepared to rationalize everything in a particular fantasy, asking others on the net to do it for you is kind of like asking others to make you lunch then refusing to eat it.

And while I'm on my high horse, let me just point that I'm doing the exact same thing you're doing with a different scifi. So I'm a hypocrite to some degree. Prometheus made me rage because it was illogical and I refuse to rationalize anything in that crap fest. It's the worst film I've ever seen because they just give the middle finger to the original Alien movie.

So, basically, everything I'm accusing you of, I admit I'm guilty of doing.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sirius wrote:It's mainly the Star Trek movies, yeah. They were passable, mass-market appeal, good characters - but the stories weren't fantastic. Particularly the second one, which was trying so hard to echo Wrath of Khan that it killed suspension of disbelief for anyone that had seen it. One parallel is just "hah, funny that", but when every iconic scene is copied and reversed, that kind of thing wouldn't just happen.

Aaaaaaaaaand he's doing the next Star Wars. I wonder how he'll mess up that classic?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

tunnelcat wrote:Aaaaaaaaaand he's doing the next Star Wars. I wonder how he'll mess up that classic?
Anything he does will be a step up from episode 1 to 3.... He could have a storm trooper washing dishes for 90 minutes and it would be a step-up.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

True. I was referring to episodes 4 - 6. Those are the most memorable and best ones. I think that Lucas had some sort of brain fart when he did 1 - 3.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I'm just going to leave it at modern directors and writers just don't "get" Star Trek.

They say it is a action flick, when the most memorable and popular Star Trek episodes I remember have no action at all. (ST: City on the Edge of Forever, TNG: Inner Light)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Isaac wrote:He could have a storm trooper washing dishes for 90 minutes and it would be a step-up.
Want this movie made. :D
I never got a chance to see the original series, but off the top of my head one of the best TNG episodes was The Drumhead, which was had very little in the way of action and a lot in the way of intelligent commentary on the world. But on the other fork of the tail, I liked a lot of the TNG episodes.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Krom wrote:I'm just going to leave it at modern directors and writers just don't "get" Star Trek.

They say it is a action flick, when the most memorable and popular Star Trek episodes I remember have no action at all. (ST: City on the Edge of Forever, TNG: Inner Light)
I love the twilight zone. So I too love space twilight zone. The last two movies don't have to be that good. They just need to be better than the average startrek movie or episode, and given the amount of drama and action, that's what we got.
Alter-Fox wrote:
Isaac wrote:He could have a storm trooper washing dishes for 90 minutes and it would be a step-up.
Want this movie made. :D
I got a youtube channel. We can make this happen!
Alter-Fox wrote:I never got a chance to see the original series, but off the top of my head one of the best TNG episodes was The Drumhead, which was had very little in the way of action and a lot in the way of intelligent commentary on the world. But on the other fork of the tail, I liked a lot of the TNG episodes.
It's on netflix! I think you're in Canada, so I don't know what's available on Canadian Netflix
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

tunnelcat wrote:True. I was referring to episodes 4 - 6. Those are the most memorable and best ones. I think that Lucas had some sort of brain fart when he did 1 - 3.
As I understand it Episode 5 wasn't written by Lucas nor directed by him. He was never much of a write imo.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Lucas was still not thinking when he let those scripts get past him. All three were trash.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Krom wrote:I'm just going to leave it at modern directors and writers just don't "get" Star Trek.

Pretty much. Abrams's films were fun popcorn action flicks, and the casting was terrific, but they just...weren't Trek. Not the Trek I know and love.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Dammit, where's that "Like x100" button?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

DS9: Sacrifice of Angels
TOS: Mirror, Mirror (also ENT: In a Mirror, Darkly)
TNG: All Good Things
TOS: Balance of Terror
TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise
TOS: The Devil in the Dark
TNG: Best of Both Worlds

there's quite a mix. Some episodes are very heavy on the action. Some are almost entirely dialogue. That's the beauty of Trek.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Lothar wrote: there's quite a mix. Some episodes are very heavy on the action. Some are almost entirely dialogue. That's the beauty of Trek.
Someone I agree with. Finally.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

by the way, I really enjoyed both Abrams flicks. Neither of them were on the level of Undiscovered Country (which, by the way, had plenty of action!) but they were both better than the odd-numbered cluster and Nemesis.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Exactly! Maybe I'm a "glass is half full" guy, but I'm really happy that the new trek movies are fun and exciting. If "fun and exciting" are the average when it comes to star trek, the new films have hit their intended mark.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Lothar wrote:...
there's quite a mix. Some episodes are very heavy on the action...
But none of those you mentioned was really primarily an action/effects episode (i.e. action-oriented, with a supporting storyline). I always found Trek (particularly the series episodes, not as much the films) as primarily about storyline, with supporting effects/action.

Sure, I enjoyed each Abrams film to some extent. They're entertaining, but I see them as a fully separate thing, somewhat like the way Lego took the Star Wars universe and did its own thing in a completely different genre.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Abrams movies were mostly inoffensive and dumb, which doesn't make them bad, but it doesn't make them great either. The Undiscovered Country was a great movie with a fair chunk of action, but the action was integrated into the plot much better than in Abrams works.

Abrams does action because blowing up stuff and shaking the camera a lot while people run and fight each other while the screen is half covered in lens flares is "entertaining", not because it is particularly good storytelling.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Those are some high quality nostalgia glasses. Can't afford those on my budget.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

tunnelcat wrote:True. I was referring to episodes 4 - 6. Those are the most memorable and best ones. I think that Lucas had some sort of brain fart when he did 1 - 3.
The main difference between the original trilogy and the prequels was that during the original trilogy, Lucas had people around him who were willing to challenge him when stuff was just plain stupid. As Star Wars became more successful and Lucas became more powerful, people became less willing to challenge him. This is evident in ROTJ by the Ewoks very existence.

During the prequels, no one was willing to challenge him, so Lucas got everything he wanted, which is why they're so mind bogglingly dumb. Also all the changes he made to the originals over the years. So many of them are head scratchers.

If you look at behind the scenes stuff on the prequels, you'll see Lucas surrounded by an army of yes-men who were smiling and nodding at his every inane and idiotic suggestion and comment. During the original trilogy, you would have arguments with staff and the actors, and that conflict ultimately lead to much better cinematic product.

One good thing is that when Disney announced sequels is that it became known that Lucas had submitted his ideas for episode 7 and Disney basically said "oh hell no" to all of it and went in a better direction. And while I mourn the loss of the Expanded Universe, in the long run I think it's ultimately a lot better for the franchise that Lucas is no longer in control.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Interesting Avder. I'd not heard that. ..but it is encouraging.

Honestly though, my fan-dom (?) for both Star Wars and Star Trek died of years and years ago. Horrible writing with Star Wars killed it with Ep 6 for me. Never looked back and Star Trek? ,,meh.. you can only do time travel so much...After "Whales", as my wife used to call it (The Journey Home) I was pretty much done with Star Trek. I enjoyed Enterprise a bit ...of what I saw of it and that wasn't much.. but meh.

My take on the two new Star Trek. ..eh.. they were entertaining. They had some good lines and were ok for what they were... but again.. time line break BS. :roll:

and At Isaac. No nostalgia here. I can't stand to back and watch a lot of this stuff. The melodrama is so thick it's embarrassing to call it professional acting. Same goes for Babylon 5. It's far better to remember watching those than actually go back and watch them. >_<