460 MAGNUM gel test

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

460 MAGNUM gel test

Post by Isaac »

[youtube]G_NKKRHdWR0[/youtube]

I love the Hornady 200gr Flex Tip. It's able to decelerate within the first block. You can get that same stuff for your daily carry. I'm sure you've seen it.

For comparison, here's 9mm: [42 second video]

edit: in case you're not down for watching a video, I took some screen shots:

Then it flies off the table.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: 460 MAGNUM gel test

Post by Tunnelcat »

Shock waves in ballistic gel look way cool.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Agreed! My local range is talking about getting FBI ballistic gel for people to buy and shoot. It would be cool if they had rental cameras too.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Mythbusters used the stuff all the time. It must be easy to obtain from somewhere, but I think the FBI rated stuff is very expensive. You could make your own hillbilly ballistics gel from common gelatin.

http://www.myscienceproject.org/gelatin.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Ballistics-Gel
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I want to do this for one reason.

Story time!

.40 s&w is the reigning king of Texas, when it comes to caliber. Everyone has this. It's more common here than 9mm, despite 9mm being cheaper. Law enforcement and homeland security prefers it over 9mm and .45 acp. On top of that people just think it's much much more powerful than 9mm. But me? My range toy is in .357 magnum, the dethroned caliber of Texas. Now, before I continue, you might be saying, "wasn't 44 magnum the main calibur at one point"? No way. It's a cool caliber, but it's not a working man's caliber. And I'll also add that .357 magnum is a great caliber; it's not a novelty and it carries well, compared to fatter revolver rounds.

My friends and I like to go shooting whenever time and money permits. None of us have similar taste. After the range we'll argue about which would be the most effective man, bear, or whatever stopper. But .40 is supposedly the great comprise that's suppose to be the most middle of the road as you can get when it comes all things gun. It also shows that people that carry .40 have the most fantasies, when it comes to talking about the virtues of their particular diameter.

"If a cop needs my help I could back him up. And if I ran out of ammo, he could give me some."

Or they might say, "when the ★■◆● hits the fan, I might come across stranded law enforcement vehicles, which would probably have lots of .40."

Then when it comes to effectiveness they'll say things like, "It's almost a 45 but you can carry more", or something to that level of stupidity. And I've heard this once: "It's about the same as .357 magnum.. maybe a little less".

Gel tests online really don't compare .357 magnum to other rounds. So when I try to shut them up I fall short. Nobody really cares about .357 magnum enough to test it. It's no longer relevant enough.

And that is why I want my range to sell gel.
Man, that looks gross, but I'd shoot it.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Isaac wrote:"If a cop needs my help I could back him up. And if I ran out of ammo, he could give me some."

Or they might say, "when the ★■◆● hits the fan, I might come across stranded law enforcement vehicles, which would probably have lots of .40."
man what is even in the water down there
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Top Gun wrote:
Isaac wrote:"If a cop needs my help I could back him up. And if I ran out of ammo, he could give me some."

Seriously, we're not suppose to drink the water down here.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Top Gun wrote:

thank god i don't even live in that part of the country. they can keep their crazy.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Ferno wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

thank god i don't even live in that part of the country. they can keep their crazy.

You live in the U.S.? I thought you were canadian.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Isaac wrote:You live in the U.S.? I thought you were canadian.

[youtube]XbQVaupPS80[/youtube]
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Sorry for calling you a Canadian. I didn't mean it. :(
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Isaac wrote:
Then when it comes to effectiveness they'll say things like, "It's almost a 45 but you can carry more", or something to that level of stupidity. And I've heard this once: "It's about the same as .357 magnum.. maybe a little less".
You might want to check up on more recent FBI ballistic tests with modern ammo:

"+P ammunition is, in fact, one main reason the .40 S&W cartridge is falling out of favor with both law enforcement and the general shooting public for self defense. 9mm+P ammunition, loaded with modern, high-tech bullets that penetrate and expand consistently, even out of short-barreled pocket guns, has nearly done away with all of the .40’s perceived advantages.

Read more: http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammo/6-reaso ... z3cgDlkDlO

The thing the 9mm has going for it is lower recoil, so when you shoot you can come back to target quicker. With a .357 recoil will be much stronger. I recently bought the S&W CORE ported 9mm. Recoil (barrel flip) is almost non existent. It used to be thought you only wanted to use ball ammo instead of hollow points, or you might be accused of using man killer ammo. Now the philosophy is with +P hollow points you can shoot a guy with less rounds needed to stop him and his chances are greater for survival then being made to look like swiss cheese using under powered ammo.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I've heard that before. I've thought long and hard about getting into 9mm and 9mm+p ammo. However, I love wheel guns. And at the plinking matches, 357 magnum is a hell of a nail driver.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Eas ... authuser=0

just did this 2 weeks ago with a Ground Zero AR-15 and EO Tech 512 sighted. mid section is pace fired, head area is rapid fired ( both semi ) and the lower area is without the EO Tech aiming for kidney shots.

also fired a Remington 700, a vintage 1973 AK-47, Glock 21, 43 and 44. SPX semi-shotty with magnum shells and a SCAR-H.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

That skeleton didn't know what hit him.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Just took my AR-15 out, set up 11" x 11" SR-1 paper targets at 100 yards. Off hand with peep sights I got 5 out of 6 rounds on the paper. Not bad for not having fired it in more than ten years.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

woodchip wrote:Just took my AR-15 out, set up 11" x 11" SR-1 paper targets at 100 yards. Off hand with peep sights I got 5 out of 6 rounds on the paper. Not bad for not having fired it in more than ten years.
100 yards? Believe it or not, I think I can get that with my GP100 in .357 mag with its new fiber optic sights.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

If you can do that standing and not using a Ransom rest, then you sir are a much better shot than I.

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Sure. Though, the first ten shots are going to be figuring out where to adjust my aim and even then my shot placement will be wide. I've done it once, plinking. I should do it with paper.