Fave PC game?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

What's your CURRENT favorite PC game?

Hearthstone
No votes
Minecraft
11%
League of Legends
No votes
World of Warcraft
No votes
Counterstrike (GO, Source, etc)
No votes
Elite:Dangerous
5%
Dota 2
No votes
Heroes of the Storm
No votes
Descent 1/2/3
47%
I have my own fave game not listed here!
37%

Total votes: 19
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Fave PC game?

Post by Nightshade »

As I run an internet cafe/PC gaming venue, I'm really interested to hear what people are playing on PC these days. :)
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: Fave PC game?

Post by Isaac »

No dwarf fortress? I'm disappointed, son
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Lady Silver
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Lady Silver »

In case you haven't checked the Multiplayer forum lately: Descent 8)
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Descent 1-2-3 (DXX-Rebirth, especially D2X-XL), S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl / S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky + mods, Shattered Horizon, Crysis 2-3, ARMA III
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Dwarf Fortress is the perfect game.

Scoring from a 0 to 10 score:

Graphics (text based): 10
Sound (2 soundtracks): 10
UI (cryptic):10
Fun (losing is fun): 10
Price (free, but you'll still donate over $10 a month): 10
Bugs (they're features): 10
Multiplayer (none): 10
Story (people will actually listen to your game stories): 10
AI (the game has a mind of its own and its own agenda): 10
Controls (uses most of your keyboard): 10

Total points: 100/100
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

you left clicker heroes off of the list?
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

this is a fair poll.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

The one I've played most recently out of those is Minecraft, but my most frequent multi drug of choice is definitely Team Fortress 2.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Top Gun wrote:...Minecraft...Team Fortress...
Dwarf fortress has mines and fortresses
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Assassin's Creed Black Flag. I never had so much fun being a pirate. However, I did vote for the Descent series. I'm still playing that off and on.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Anything that looks good on my new G-Sync / 144 Hz monitor.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

And what are you using for a graphics card(s) to drive said hunk of a monitor? :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I've been playing Mass Effect 3 and Portal 2 a lot. and that's about it. .. if I play.
but My tastes fall way outside the norm so ..eh. ;)
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

Based on how long I have been playing them, Forgotten Hope 1 & 2
si vis pacem, para bellum
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I've been pistol starting random Doom 1 & 2 levels on ultra violent difficulty.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Jeff250 wrote:I've been pistol starting random Doom 1 & 2 levels on ultra violent difficulty.
http://www.paulcorfiatis.com/wos/HTML/wos_index.htm -- the best DooMII campaign I've ever played. So, so good. I think I've done 6 total UV playthroughs in the ~year since Naphtha introduced me to it.

http://zandronum.com/ -- a good solid source port. Takes a little tweaking to get it to behave according to original DooM standards, but it runs really smoothly.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I'm on a retro kick lately. Playing through Freespace/Silent Threat/Freespace 2, and then I'm gonna romp through Mechwarrior 2/Ghost Bear's Legacy/Mercenaries/Mechwarrior 3.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Now, if I had to pick my SECOND favorite game. it would probably be Dwarf Fortress version 0.40.22. But it's a close second with 0.40.21.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Duper wrote:I've been playing Mass Effect 3 and Portal 2 a lot. and that's about it. .. if I play.
but My tastes fall way outside the norm so ..eh. ;)
Which episode do you like better from the Mass Effect Series, 1,2 or 3 and would you recommend playing them in order if one has all three?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

This is a list I made with some of my currently favorite PC games ;)
[youtube]i0PAQneEVcY[/youtube]
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

tunnelcat wrote: Which episode do you like better from the Mass Effect Series, 1, 2 or 3 and would you recommend playing them in order if one has all three?
I think my favorite for game play and structure is ME2. I also really enjoy ME3 and it's multiplayer. It's a lot like L4D and focuses on team play and balance of abilities between players.
Me1 is different than the latter 2 as they revamped the skill tree and inventory systems. I think they made it a lot better in 2.
I would recommend playing all 3 in sequence though. It helps with the story and makes each game your own as the choices you make directly effect elements in the next version. And regardless of what you may have read, your decisions DO in fact matter. They ending in 3 may be pretty much the same (with different outcomes and the like) but how you get there, if at all, is dependent on what choices you have made even as far back as ME1.
Dialogue and characters are wonderful in all 3. In ME3, the sound FX and music are amazing!
I played 2 first, and went back and played 1. At that time, ME1 was hard to find as the digital markets were as robust as they are now. (can't believe I'm saying that. :P) regardless, the way ME2 ended after playing through both was very different. I also had a better understanding of the story line.\
Those are my thoughts. ;)
If you decide to play and get to 3, look me up on Origin (D00p3r) and I'll be happy to give you a hand in multi. In ME combat, it's all about combos and know how to balance your weapons and powers. Similar to they way you balance out a weapon load/cooling in Mechwarrior. Me1&2 are available on Steam, but 3 is not. And they don't transfer over easily. There is a free demo of ME2 on both Steam and Origin if you want to get a feel for the game at no cost. ^_^
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

tunnelcat wrote:And what are you using for a graphics card(s) to drive said hunk of a monitor? :wink:
A GTX 980 rendering and a GTX 680 doing all the PhysX stuff (in supported games).
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Great video Puma. :)

Duper, I've got all the games, on Origin. Had to go on that platform for some of my other games anyway. Once I get through the first 2 ME games, I'll check in with you. It would have been nicer to have all three on Steam, but..... :roll:

Anybody try out Star Citizen? Does it meet the hype?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:And what are you using for a graphics card(s) to drive said hunk of a monitor? :wink:
A GTX 980 rendering and a GTX 680 doing all the PhysX stuff (in supported games).
Shoot, I've only got a single GTX 680. I couldn't shoehorn a single GTX 980 into my present case either, let alone BOTH cards, and my SATA connections are slow anyway. Getting to be time for a new computer someday. Maybe after Skylake and Win 10 gets debugged and if the stock market doesn't tank.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

That's nothing to sneeze at TC. It's a good card. By most respects it's as good or better than mine ( XFX Black Edition R9-280 ) and it does a great job! And by-n-large, most newer games and software have been made to go easier on older hardware but keep most the bling! ^_^
Who manf'd. your card TC?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I agree. I ungraded from a GTX 480, which ran hot and sounded like a jet engine even at idle. I've been very happy with the card, which is an EVGA GTX 680 that came with with their sexy aluminum backplate. It's kept up with every game I've thrown at it for 3 years, although I'm not sure if it's enough to run Grand Theft Auto. I'd also have to update my driver to a newer version to run it and Nvidia changed things in their later drivers so that a few of my older games have screwed up graphics. What a choice. Plus, my motherboard has a slow SATA pipeline, so that cramps things too.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Lothar wrote:
Jeff250 wrote:I've been pistol starting random Doom 1 & 2 levels on ultra violent difficulty.
http://www.paulcorfiatis.com/wos/HTML/wos_index.htm -- the best DooMII campaign I've ever played. So, so good. I think I've done 6 total UV playthroughs in the ~year since Naphtha introduced me to it.

http://zandronum.com/ -- a good solid source port. Takes a little tweaking to get it to behave according to original DooM standards, but it runs really smoothly.
I've been using dosbox, but it looks like I'll have to pick up a source port to give this a shot.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I used to have a graphics card AMD Radeon 4 series and it was torture. Now I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card and I am happy.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

AMD has greatly improved since then. :)
It also depends on the games you run too. There are some that lean toward AMD and some to Nvidia. But that's always been the case. AMD is much more stable with infinitely better drivers support now than in the past.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Even though I do actually play other games, D1/D2 have still been the best overall experience this year due to stuff like LAN parties and trying to skill up a bit.

But the best of the other stuff probably warrants a mention too.
Guild Wars 2: My main "other" game of the last 3 years or so. Hard to know who to recommend it to, but the base game recently went free, which makes it easy enough to figure that out anyway.
Ori and the Blind Forest: Relatively short as all platformers are, but it... is probably the best I've played since Super Metroid. Even including Symphony of the Night (YMMV of course).
ARK: Survival Evolved: As of the last week or so. Started playing with a few friends on a private server, and we're building our base slowly but surely and mounting often ill-fated expeditions deeper into the island. Can be a brutal game, but it's a very good sandbox.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Only thing I've been playing lately is World of Tanks. I'm about 2k xp from getting the AMX ELC bis. Going to have fun with that.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager