Star Wars: The Force Awakens review-

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Star Wars: The Force Awakens review-

Post by Nightshade »

Meh...

:|
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Viper1999
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens review-

Post by Viper1999 »

I'm seeing this movie after Christmas! :)

Has anybody else seen this movie yet?
*yawn*, now where was I again...
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

It was good, but you should probably not read stuff on the internet about it until after you see it if you are even remotely a Star Wars fan.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Krom wrote:It was good, but you should probably not read stuff on the internet about it until after you see it if you are even remotely a Star Wars fan.
It was only passable as a movie- and very bland in spite of Abrams so called "bold" plot twist.

It also didn't feel like a star wars movie. I am speaking in terms of comparing this movie to the original trilogy. It had the favor of Abrams' star trek reboot.

The most terrible thing about it? The villains weren't all that menacing- and Kylo Ren seemed like another Hayden Christensenesque crybaby.

I probably won't be watching anymore star wars movies. It's over for me.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Never should have sold the franchise to Disney.

I haven't seen it, but I can imagine it becoming just so much formulaic crap.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Was Lucas any better with his kidification of the last 3 Star Wars movies? Nope. Selling the franchise to Disney was yet another mistake in a long series of Lucas' mistakes concerning Star Wars. He's gone senile. I'm sticking with the book world and I'll wait until the DVD comes out to see the most recent travesty. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Actually I'd say giving it to Disney who put Abrams at the helm is the best thing that has happened to the franchise in decades.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

tunnelcat wrote:travesty
Exactly.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Krom wrote:Actually I'd say giving it to Disney who put Abrams at the helm is the best thing that has happened to the franchise in decades.
They have themselves a moneymaker for sure. They'll make that 4 billion back they paid Lucas in no time.

Of course, the franchise belongs to the kiddies as it should.

People that grew up with the original trilogy should be thankful they had the experience of those movies and just move on (and grow up!) ;)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

NS, if you read the books in the Star Wars expanded universe you'll see that the series is not "kiddie" at all, especially the Vector Prime series. Plus, there's "kiddie", like most of the Disney crap today, then there's "adult escapism", like the original 3 Star Wars films or even Raiders of the Lost Ark. You'll have to admit that Jar Jar Binks was a big step down for most adult fans. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

The movie is pretty good IMHO, albeit it lost a bit of the original Star Wars feeling to it.

But I would recommend it, it's not bad at all!
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Pumo wrote:The movie is pretty good IMHO, albeit it lost a bit of the original Star Wars feeling to it.
I'll agree. Watching it made me realize what I liked about the originals (including the prequels). Force Awakens has it's share of problems, but the biggest one for me was lack of suspense. There wasn't much tension in the storyline or how it was directed.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

vision wrote:
Pumo wrote:The movie is pretty good IMHO, albeit it lost a bit of the original Star Wars feeling to it.
I'll agree. Watching it made me realize what I liked about the originals (including the prequels). Force Awakens has it's share of problems, but the biggest one for me was lack of suspense. There wasn't much tension in the storyline or how it was directed.
You could also see a MILE away that the major character that dies in the film...was about to die.

Oh...why it's the villain...on a long narrow catwalk about 100 yards away from anyone that could help our 'heroic character.' Maybe he should just walk right up to villain....and get stabbed.
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

When your main bad guy gets beaten by BOTH an inexperienced Stormtrooper AND an untrained girl, you KNOW you've got face palms coming. :rant: He should've been able to fight them both at the same time and not break a sweat.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Krom wrote:Actually I'd say giving it to Disney who put Abrams at the helm is the best thing that has happened to the franchise in decades.
Truth!

Saw it earlier today and it felt like a whole movie. Abrams did a really ballsy move with one of the main characters and turned the imperials from a bit of a goof to something really sinister.

And for those who don't like that ren was beat by inexperience, even senior opponents can be beaten.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Also by the second or third destructive temper tantrum he throws, you probably should have figured out that he is a spoiled and incompetent brat in way over his head.

So Ren is also very inexperienced and he has several extra screws loose compared to the people who beat him.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

And -- this isn't the first time a supposed superior was beat. Vader by Luke, emperor by vader, troopers by ewoks, maul by obiwan...
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Indeed, that's a very good point Ferno!
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

The plot of this movie was so similar to A New Hope that it barely even deserves to be a legitimate "part" IMO. It's like a reboot of Episode IV. Only that it doesn't even look any more modern in all honesty. It's like Episode IV's twin brother.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6