Big money

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Big money

Post by sigma »

Sometimes, some people who have not done a great career and have no relationship to the elite, get a lot of money, often more than a few tens of millions of dollars. No matter, they won it in the lottery or they have been given the opportunity under other circumstances.
What would you do if tomorrow you will have a huge fortune?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Big money

Post by Tunnelcat »

I don't know. I'm getting old and I don't really need anymore material things, even expensive things like exotic cars, yachts and aircraft. Taking a trip somewhere even sounds tiring too. I guess I'm boring. Although owning and living on a private, secluded island in a warm climate sounds nice. :mrgreen:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Actually, tropical islands it's not exactly a paradise on earth.
If you want, you can visit Russia, Siberian and amazing Far Eastern taiga, Vasyugan swamps, lakes Altai, Ural caves, surroundings of lake Baikal, Putorana Plateau, Kamchatka, Ugra, Karelia, South Caucasus and a lot else.
It's a bit dangerous, but that's very beautiful and interesting, these places have a very ancient history and magical properties to health.
Even a virtual visit to these places will have a positive impact for you.

Add: TС, I lied a little, it's not a bit dangerous, it is critically dangerous in reality.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

sigma wrote:What would you do if tomorrow you will have a huge fortune?
Tomorrow? I would do it today. If I had a millions of dollars I would immediately contact The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation and become a full time philanthropist. Shortly after I would pay off any student loan debt my friends have and pay for their kids/grandkids college education. Then I would take up cooking.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Well, as I have some economical issues within my family and at my place, I would immediately use the money in fixing a LOT of things in the house!
Including installing a new water pipeline, a new cloth dryer, new bathroom furniture, a new kitchen, etc.

And as 'luxuries' I would upgrade my PC and get a new music keyboard, I would also buy lots of musical equipment for my brother and a new sound system for my sister, a home teather for my mother and a new appartment for my father (as he lives sepparately).

And if there's still money left, I would invest it on my job (as a merchant) and in taking courses of many things I would like to learn.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Believe it or not, once I had access to almost unlimited funding of my desires. This is related to the access to the state budget. Now I a little regret that I didn't use this opportunity. I was too young and stupid. I think I would have built several beautiful hotels with high-quality medical treatment, including for people with low income.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Pumo wrote:Well, as I have some economical issues within my family and at my place, I would immediately use the money in fixing a LOT of things in the house!
Including installing a new water pipeline, a new cloth dryer, new bathroom furniture, a new kitchen, etc.

And as 'luxuries' I would upgrade my PC and get a new music keyboard, I would also buy lots of musical equipment for my brother and a new sound system for my sister, a home teather for my mother and a new appartment for my father (as he lives sepparately).

And if there's still money left, I would invest it on my job (as a merchant) and in taking courses of many things I would like to learn.
He said tens of millions, this is a $100,000 list. Try again. :P ;)

When you have a fortune you don't make repairs to the house, you buy a good piece of land in a nice setting and have a new house built, with a large patio, a few outbuildings, a large Natural Pool, gardens (both agricultural and decorative), and trails to walk/ride. ...You also buy a 12 to 20-person Catamaran sailboat, and keep it on a body of water with ocean or Great Lake access. ;) Once I've spent that million, I would also invest in education (note: library/study room(s) in house), and a few career fields, but not a "job". Start a company or few (would like to do something in personal transportation, for one), an educational institution, a camp for children and young adults, ...
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I mean missed opportunities that everyone has in their lives.
Agree, get a lot of money is not a problem, you will get this if you want. But these people worried about how you want to dispose of it.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Personally I feel that this much money just thrown to the wind according to a person's individual fancies is a shameful waste, which is why I would start businesses, schools, or camps, which could become largely self-perpetuating sources of income, and serve to improve people's lives.

When you speak of building medical care facilities, I feel that even though it's a nice idea, it's putting a bandage on a gushing wound. Every disease, illness, or physical malady known to man has a cause, and more often than not it's cause is us. I would rather focus my energy on discovering and passing on the knowledge and tools to live well, than to waste my effort in fighting the consequences of constantly evolving forms of self-destruction--that's a losing battle, waged nobly by naive people (the "naive" part is not noble).
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

You know, ST, I am grateful to the people who helped me when no one wanted to help, and many people are grateful to me that no one was able to help them, except me, almost in a hopeless situation for them.
And I think my desire is not a whim of a rich boy, and virtue.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

After took care of my family, I thought I would travel around and help poor people. Go to places like Africa and buy a sewing machine for a woman to start a clothing business. Buy a set of tools for a guy who wants to be a mechanic. Pay to dig a well so a village could have a clean supply of water. Things like this that the people would directly receive my aid instead of going through some charity where 90% of my donation would go to pay bloated salaries of those running it (nudges vision with elbow).
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

sigma wrote:You know, ST, I am grateful to the people who helped me when no one wanted to help, and many people are grateful to me that no one was able to help them, except me, almost in a hopeless situation for them.
And I think my desire is not a whim of a rich boy, and virtue.
I agree with that.

Part of the reason for my outlook on this is that it seems the healthcare industry in America is viewed not just as an unfortunate need in the face of a large problem, but actually as more of a shining, miracle solution to things which just (increasingly) randomly befall us. I don't believe this view is totally universal, but I do believe it is terribly pervasive, and strongly encouraged by the healthcare industry.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I'd pay off my student loans and start by taking a trip to somewhere I've wanted to see for a while.

After I got home, I'd look into going back to school to study something that actually interests me rather than simply what I have a degree in, and I would pursue that interest as far as I could.

I probably wouldn't get a big house, just maybe a nice condo on the side of town that's not growing at a rabid pace, or perhaps a house a mile or two out of town with some nice trees around it, as I love peace and quiet. And of course, have it wired up for fiber.

I don't know if I would do anything big with the majority of the fortune. I'd probably just find a low risk method of investing it and then do my best to keep my yearly budget to whatever it returned so I never touch the principle.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:He said tens of millions, this is a $100,000 list. Try again. :P ;)

When you have a fortune you don't make repairs to the house, you buy a good piece of land in a nice setting and have a new house built, with a large patio, a few outbuildings, a large Natural Pool, gardens (both agricultural and decorative), and trails to walk/ride. ...You also buy a 12 to 20-person Catamaran sailboat, and keep it on a body of water with ocean or Great Lake access. ;) Once I've spent that million, I would also invest in education (note: library/study room(s) in house), and a few career fields, but not a "job". Start a company or few (would like to do something in personal transportation, for one), an educational institution, a camp for children and young adults, ...
Oh my, you're right, I just understood it was about a fair ammount of money, but it seems I misread the part about the tens of millions! :o

Well, if that's the case, lemme see...

I think I would move with my family to the Netherlands and buy a nice and comfortable house (not way too big, but not too small either) in the town of Edam, as I fell in love of that place when many years ago, as I child, I got the chance to visit it (when we were on a better economical situation).
I would like that house with a small pool and a jacuzzi for relaxing, and I would also dedicate a calm, isolated room for my meditation practice, and a musical home-studio with lots of audio equipment and many keyboards and synthesizers!

I would also invest on making my own music label to distribute my music and to make shows, and I would also create an craft soap-making company.
I can already see my soap stores on the little town of Edam and on other cities. Aaaah, the dreams! :D
Of course, I would also need to take a course of Dutch, for better communication.

I would also travel to various parts of the world along with my family: To Egypt (as my mother always wanted to visit Egypt), to several places in Europe, to Japan and China (places all of my family would like to visit!) and in my case, I would also go to the Tibet and to India, specially to the Maha Bodhi temple.

And as a topping, I would dedicate some of my money to help empoverished people (as I know what it feels to be, like, really poor!) around the world, to help different medical institutions to develop or deliver better treatments for cancer (as I was a cancer patient some years ago), and to donate to some monastic communities on India and South East asia.

And I think that's it. :)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Descer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Descer »

Stop bein' cheapscate.
It's just a game. Face it.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

sigma wrote:Sometimes, some people who have not done a great career and have no relationship to the elite, get a lot of money, often more than a few tens of millions of dollars. No matter, they won it in the lottery or they have been given the opportunity under other circumstances.
If I won a lottery? I'd disappear.

Nobody would know where I went.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Ferno wrote:
sigma wrote:Sometimes, some people who have not done a great career and have no relationship to the elite, get a lot of money, often more than a few tens of millions of dollars. No matter, they won it in the lottery or they have been given the opportunity under other circumstances.
If I won a lottery? I'd disappear.

Nobody would know where I went.
I already know where you're going to have offshore accounts)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

The buying house/condo thing for sure, but how about a personal chef?
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Hmm. I'd buy the company I work for, and fire everyone. No, I wouldn't really fire everyone as much as I would like to, but there would be some big changes. I'd build out rural fiber networks overlaid with a high-speed wireless mesh network for mobile wifi applications in the unserved/poorly served areas here. Then I'd probably travel a bit, New Zealand looks nice on google street view. I'd do a lot of fishing.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'd use it to pay the rest of my way through my undergrad degree so I could actually get through it. :x
I'd put the rest into savings and figure out what to do with it afterwards. There are a couple of vintage hardware synths I want. :P
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.