Car audio issues.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Car audio issues.

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hey everyone,

I haven't been on the forums in a while but I figured I might pop in for a quick question. Currently I drive a 2007 Dodge Charger SE and recently I noticed a problem with the sound system.

Basically, when I drive about two blocks down the road, the sound cuts out. I can move the volume down but not up, and again, there is no audible sound when this happens. I can turn my car off for about 15 minutes and it works fine. The sound system also works better in the mornings and later in the evening than it does in the afternoon, which makes me think that the Summer heat has something to do with my issue.

Currently the sound system is completely stock and I generally just listen to music off my phone via an aux line. The problem occurs both when my phone is plugged in, and when playing CDs.

I've only set up one aftermarket sound system in another vehicle I owned about 12 or so years ago.

I'm just trying to get some ideas on how to best troubleshoot the issue I'm having.

Someone mentioned that it could be that the speakers are becoming demagnetized due to the heat. However, I'm losing sound from all speakers at the same time. From my experience, usually speakers will go bad one at a time. But I may be wrong in thinking this.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Car audio issues.

Post by sigma »

Most likely I would have solved this problem this way.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

You do know that the bezel does not provide sound right. :wink:

Not exactly what you're getting at.

Yes, I've Googled it and asked around on the Dodge Charger forums.

I'm trying to break it down and troubleshoot the issue so that I can replace the component(s) that are actually failing. Not replace the entire sound system.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Mess check your PM.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

My wife's car stereo was showing the same symptoms about a month ago. Particularly in heat, the audio would just cut out after about 30 seconds.

I came to the conclusion that something in the internal amplifier circuitry was going bad... and just had to replace it (I found a great deal on a refurb).
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sounds like it. Some component is heating up when the system is powered and then failing, probably the speaker driver in the amplifier. It would be a tricky one to diagnose too, but someone could remove it from the car and try it in the shop to see if the problem can be replicated. Is there a headphone jack on your stereo or your phone? If so, see if the problem happens with headphones. They technically shouldn't need amplification, or be using the same circuitry the speakers do.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.