Descent Wiki

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent Wiki

Post by Darth Wang »

How come there isn't one? It could have info/maps of all of the levels, fanmade level sets, robots, weapons, multiplayer tactics, etc.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Descent Wiki

Post by vision »

That is a good idea, but it probably doesn't exist because someone needs to manage it, which is not easy. Self-hosted wikis require quite a bit of maintenance and upkeep from spammers and bots. I don't have any experience with commercial sites like Wikia but there is nothing stopping you from making one!
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

In my opinion a Wikipedia seems to exist for general information, for more details, there are forums and specialized websites. Although of course in Wikipedia it would be useful to make links to these resources.
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

I recently bought the domain www.6dof.space where I intend to put up information about the various 6D)F games that have come out over the past few decades. It will likely be a static site hosted at gitlab, possibly using a client-side style markup such as my homepage or using a static site generator using gitlab CI. People with sufficient technical skill will be able to file gitlab pull requests, and other people will be able to create issues on the issue tracker for it.

If you want to help populate it, I'll jump the project forward in my queue and get onto it.
Eh?
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Even to collect all references to the descenters sites in one place would be an achievement. Systematize all of this information with a brief and clear explanation and with links to downloading the necessary files could be even more serious achievement.
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

Well I've just created the git repo and set it up so I can put stuff on that domain. The hard part now is creating content. I'm happy to format it/put it online, but I do not know all the magic/have all the images that you guys will want.

So if you want to add content to the site, let me know. You can email me, file an issue, or in some other way get content to me. I don't mind it it's images, text or stories of the great descent pilots. If I recall, there were some photos of the descent LANs back in the 90's? Any and all information would be fantastic. I'll even take demo files...

Advice for how to structure the site is also appreciated.
If you know git (or can learn git), I can give you developer access to the gitlab repo so you can add stuff yourself.

This weekend I'll do some graphic design and figure out what I want things to look like.

@sigma: If you want to compile a list of the sites, that would be fantastic.
Eh?
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I think everyone knows the English-language sites here, the Russian- language descenters to communicate on so many forums, sometimes completely not relevant to Descent , even if I will gather all the links, firstly, will be very many, and secondly, one way or another, it is will understood only Russian-speaking. But of course, I will try to add to the overall list of the most interesting useful links if necessary.