Other RWD to 4X4 (part-time) SUV's

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Other RWD to 4X4 (part-time) SUV's

Post by TigerRaptor »

In the process of searching for another mid size SUV. Right now I'm looking into Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Xterra, and the 2012 Nissan Pathfinder. Nothing past 2012 for the Pathfinder. What other SUV's are RWD to 4WD?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Other RWD to 4X4 (part-time) SUV's

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'd stay away from Nissan. Just do a search on Nissan rust problems. If you do look at a Nissan, check underneath at the floorboards.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I know the Maxima, Murano, and had Titan had this problem. The only bad rust my 04 Pathfinder had was the muffler and resonator. Some parts of the evap system also suffered rust problems. Other than that everything else looks ok.

Well some minor things like this. I took these last year.
Attachments
11160587_443716965792685_8424443778577604827_n.jpg
11149497_443716982459350_2688405664364970731_n.jpg
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

By the way, one of my first cars was a silver Nissan Primera p10. I was delighted with the quality of this car. Although now I would of course choose any other firm but not Nissan, unfortunately.
I think my next car will be a Toyota Prado. I know this car quite well, and I think it will be the best choice for me.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You know TigerRaptorFX, I wouldn't know what to recommend these days and not make an enemy of someone. It seems every car brand has some killer issue or another or the manufacturer has cut corners here and there to make the vehicle cheaper and more chintzy. Oh, they've done wonders with technology, but then they forgot about building something solid, even an SUV. They don't build them as tough or use as much paint these days. In fact, most of the new paints are very soft and mark up easily. I'm not even sold on Toyota anymore because my FJ Cruiser is showing signs of rust on the frame of all places and I don't even live in the rust belt. People are taking to spraying the under-body and frame with a product called Fluid Film just to prevent the rust. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Yes, in this sense, Mercedes it is complete ass.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

You're right, every vehicle now a days has something faulty about it. This is why I research the hell out of everything. From what I understand Nissan shouldn't have this rust problem any more. Especially after all those lawsuits. As of right now I'm kind of set on the Xterra for the following reasons.

The body style.
Truck based.
Live Rear Axle.
Limited Slip Differentials
Still has dipstick for the engine and transmission.:P
Very basic configuration, I could careless about navigation systems, heated seats and steering wheel.

I'm still open to other SUV's before I make my final decision.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I can't argue with the Xterra's styling and all the other items you mentioned. It's a nice looking truck and the simpler the better. If you can find one rust free and not beat to crap, go for it. Funny you should mention the transmission dipstick. Neither my Subaru, nor FJ Cruiser, have a dipstick for their automatic transmissions. You've got to get under the vehicle and remove a plug to check. Dipstick thinking on their part in my book, or they're being cheapskates since they don't think anyone checks the fluid levels in their automatic trannies anymore. :roll:

Sigma, yes, Mercedes IS nothing but high-priced junk. :wink:
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

tunnelcat wrote:Sigma, yes, Mercedes IS nothing but high-priced junk. :wink:
Absolutely. I never would have bought ML and GL for himself.

TigerRaptorFX, nevertheless try to test drive a Land Cruiser. Porsche Cayenne is also very good for the pleasure of driving on asphalt, but in my opinion Prado and not very expensive, and the best off-road on my impressions. It depends for what purpose you are choosing the car. You anyway five years later buy a new car, right?
Actually I like the cars in the maximum configuration (it's love all Russians) but the car in the basic configuration is also good, because you have the opportunity to install high quality additional equipment, which never happens even in the best factory equipment.
P.S. For example, my Sorento I specifically bought in the base, so that I can set what I want. Now this is a car with expensive sound system, eight speakers and subwoofer, DVD, navigation, voice hands-free, good video cameras, sensors and many more.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Don't need any thing that big and powerful. I'm comfortable with a V6 mid size SUV to get me from point a to point b. Anything thing else would be overkill. Down the road I will have some modifications done to it. Having another dual cat back exhaust upgrade is one of them.

tunnelcat, I'm one of those people that keeps an eye on everything. I don't like the idea of having a computer telling me when something needs oil.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Well, I'm sorry in this case, It seems I misunderstood you. For me personally, the car is always something more than public transport.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

If you get a V6, get the biggest one you can, an overworked small v6 will suck as much gas as a big v8, and give you none of the performance, and a big v6 that doesn't have to work hard will end up being more efficient. (usually)
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

No need to apologize sigma, you were trying to help. I should have been clearer on my part.
Capm wrote:If you get a V6, get the biggest one you can, an overworked small v6 will suck as much gas as a big v8, and give you none of the performance, and a big v6 that doesn't have to work hard will end up being more efficient. (usually)
The Toyota 4Runner, Xterra and the 2012 Pathfinder all have 4.0L engines.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:No need to apologize sigma, you were trying to help.
It is a metaphor, not an apology ) Although I really sincerely wanted to share my experience with you, since you have asked about this.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:No need to apologize sigma, you were trying to help. I should have been clearer on my part.
Capm wrote:If you get a V6, get the biggest one you can, an overworked small v6 will suck as much gas as a big v8, and give you none of the performance, and a big v6 that doesn't have to work hard will end up being more efficient. (usually)
The Toyota 4Runner, Xterra and the 2012 Pathfinder all have 4.0L engines.
That's the size engine my FJ's got and it seems to have plenty of power to spare for my tastes. I think that's a good V6 displacement size for most people who just want a reliable and all-purpose 4X4. I prefer the 4X4 since it's saved my bacon in the snow countless times. The extra drivetrain hardware does cut into fuel mileage though.

Sigma, why you didn't tell me the Russians could build such a great looking little 4X4 truck, even though it's only used for aerospace and aviation? :wink:

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Cat, you know what is the best car in any off-road conditions? I say without a trace of irony. This car, which looks funny, but it is better than any Land Rover, Land Cruiser and Gelandevagen. Actually it's a monster off-road. I bought this car in the Army, and when I know exactly what I can expect great adventures off road, I will go on this car (again, I specifically bought a military version, because it is very different from the civilian).

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Not to insult Russian vehicle design sigma, but that truck is a little too Soviet looking for my taste. It's probably built like a battleship though. :wink:
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

All them old Jeep-style vehicles go just about anywhere because they had to, there weren't always roads on the battlefields.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

tunnelcat wrote:That's the size engine my FJ's got and it seems to have plenty of power to spare for my tastes. I think that's a good V6 displacement size for most people who just want a reliable and all-purpose 4X4. I prefer the 4X4 since it's saved my bacon in the snow countless times. The extra drivetrain hardware does cut into fuel mileage though.
Believe me I know. Driving in 4HI with a lot of snow will indeed use up a lot of gas. This is why I prefer having snow tires, 4x4 or not. Even in sub zero temperatures snow tires make a world of difference. For the most part I can get away just using 2HI with them.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

So in the end I bought the Xterra in September. Threw 4 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 tires on for the winter.

Added a few other things too.

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

That USB charger makes me feel old.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Handsomely. I like the American style appearance. But you can not do something like that in like better?
Because I have in my Korean jeep has everything you can dream of. All media, Internet, night cameras and not only. Almost everything that you can think of.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Krom wrote:That USB charger makes me feel old.
Anyone registered on this forum for sometime is old, well much older. I'm sure many people here have gray hairs because I sure do.
sigma wrote:Handsomely. I like the American style appearance. But you can not do something like that in like better?
Because I have in my Korean jeep has everything you can dream of. All media, Internet, night cameras and not only. Almost everything that you can think of.
Better, sure. But honestly I like the body style of the Xterra. The setup you see here is only the first wave of modifications.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

This is a great SUV, but nevertheless, the only Nissan that I like, it's Nissan Primera.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Nice looking rig TigerRaptorFX and you're right, the Xterra has great styling. It looks like it even came with Weathertech floormats, which ain't cheap. And yes, I'm old enough to appreciate that Flux Capacitor USB charger. :lol:
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Are you making fun of him? At least, it just has to replace the native speakers and install a powerful thing.