Another weird engine design

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Another weird engine design

Post by Tunnelcat »

One new engine design that was posted here awhile back that was that axial-piston combustion engine. Now we have the Achates Power Opposed-piston Engine. This engine has fewer moving parts, is cleaner emission-wise and is a more robust and simpler design that could actually be mass produced, put in a car and survive everyday use.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/at-least ... on-engine/

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: Another weird engine design

Post by Capm »

Interesting concept, I would think the oil seals would need to be absolutely perfect on the top half and might be prone to problems stemming from containing the oil in what would normally be, upside down. I think a dual piston setup would work better in an upside down V - basically how they sit in a current V-engine but tilt them inwards so they both see the same chamber that way.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sorry Capm, didn't see your reply. As to your question, what if this engine was laid flat, like a Subaru Boxer engine and not vertically?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I suppose that would help, but I can't help but think you'd eventually have problems with seals - but I could be wrong or maybe I'm just pessimistic. I know the craftsmanship on the engine would be good enough you shouldn't have problems or maybe they found another way around the problem, hard to say until they put one through a couple hundred thousand miles.
--------------
----------
---Capm
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I certainly have American cars with an engine of three liters that were purchased in the United States.
They literally eats me fuel consumption and vehicle tax.
But I prefer a turbocharged 1.8 engine with front wheel drive and manual transmission.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Really, I'm surprised there isn't more innovation in the fuel engine area, I know the piston style engine has been around for a hundred years now, but surely in that time there was a better concept
--------------
----------
---Capm
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Here's a design that was actually put into use in the British rail system in the 1960's, the Deltic Diesel Engine. It's very similar to that opposed-piston engine in my first post, but it has a bizarre triangular configuration. I gather since it's no longer in use, that it probably wasn't a viable engine design.

Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Wow, I'll bet that one was a real b**** to work on! I'll bet the timing on that sucker was very complicated.
--------------
----------
---Capm
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Capm wrote:Wow, I'll bet that one was a real b**** to work on! I'll bet the timing on that sucker was very complicated.
No kidding. That's probably why it's no longer in service either.

Now here's something from the opposite end of the spectrum. A miniature origami paper V8 pneumatic engine that actually rotates, at a fairly good clip too.

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

tunnelcat wrote:No kidding.
Well, why not. Repair the car in the desert at 37 degrees below zero is much more pleasant.