Ancestral origins map...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Ancestral origins map...

Post by Nightshade »

I got my genetic ancestral origins map yesterday, it's really neat! :)

Confirmed most of what I was told- but I didn't know I had some Turkish (asia minor) ancestry.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Post by Nightshade »

And I also had some unexpected genetic traces from east Asia (probably from the origins of Native Americans that crossed the Bering Strait land bridge during the ice ages.)

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

And here I was expecting something more along the lines of this:
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Krom wrote:And here I was expecting something more along the lines of this:
Nope. Pretty sure that one is you and slick. :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Where did you go to get your information NS?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Tunnelcat wrote:Where did you go to get your information NS?
Family Tree DNA. https://www.familytreedna.com

I was very curious what my results were- so I ordered a test kit. It got great reviews and was actually cheaper than Ancestry.com or 23 And Me.

The "Family Finder" option is $89 and takes about three months for them to process and give you your results.

You don't only get your ancestry map but other features like finding lots of people you've never heard of that're related to you.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I was wondering if there was a better place to find out family history than Ancestry.com. Even though they claim that they're not owned by the Mormons, the company seems a little too conveniently placed right in the middle of Utah. I might just try out your site. I'm curious about my family history too. All of my grandparents are dead now and the kicker is that when they were alive, I was too young and arrogant to pay attention to what I considered their old fuddy duddy family history stories. Now I wish I had. All I know is that there is a some German and British in my background and my husband has a lot of Swedish,British and German ancestry.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Any other Native American origin Descent players out there? ;)
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Tunnelcat wrote:I was wondering if there was a better place to find out family history than Ancestry.com. Even though they claim that they're not owned by the Mormons, the company seems a little too conveniently placed right in the middle of Utah. I might just try out your site. I'm curious about my family history too. All of my grandparents are dead now and the kicker is that when they were alive, I was too young and arrogant to pay attention to what I considered their old fuddy duddy family history stories. Now I wish I had. All I know is that there is a some German and British in my background and my husband has a lot of Swedish,British and German ancestry.
BTW, TC! They're having another sale! Image

https://www.familytreedna.com/
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

You know...

Elizabeth Warren did claim to have Native American ancestry...she could put all doubts to rest if she had one of these tests done. Why doesn't she? ;)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It is possible she already has, and hasn't published the results, or that she knows through other means (e.g. genealogical records). I'm not even sure it isn't public knowledge - I suspect the point is more how much bearing it should have on anything. e.g. I have some Maori ancestry (native people of New Zealand), but it's a shade under 10%, and I don't look Maori or have much involvement with Maori culture, so I would feel like kind of a fraud if I claimed to be one.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Sirius wrote:It is possible she already has, and hasn't published the results, or that she knows through other means (e.g. genealogical records). I'm not even sure it isn't public knowledge - I suspect the point is more how much bearing it should have on anything. e.g. I have some Maori ancestry (native people of New Zealand), but it's a shade under 10%, and I don't look Maori or have much involvement with Maori culture, so I would feel like kind of a fraud if I claimed to be one.
She did claim ancestry to get minority status in the universities/law schools she attended it seems. Perhaps I should have as well.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Nightshade wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:37 am Any other Native American origin Descent players out there? ;)
Finally got my DNA results back. It appears that my ancestors began their migration west from starting points in Virginia, through Iowa and Utah and then to California once they came to America.

30% Scots Irish
24% Europe West
17% Scandinavian
14% Iberian Peninsula
9% Great Britain

And lo and behold, 3% Native American. I have a feeling that most Americans have a small percentage of Native American in their DNA if their earliest ancestors came over in the 1700's, so even Warren is probably not lying when she says she has Native American DNA. I'm guessing that those settlers had a few side liaisons with the Natives to entertain themselves while they migrated west. :wink:
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

I just sent out for the Ancestry version a few days ago. Had one of the National Geographic Genographic Project kits done on me years and years ago, but that's when this stuff was in it's infancy.

I'll be interested to see how the results compare to my paper and interwebs research, which is fairly extensive at this point.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Tunnelcat wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:26 pm And lo and behold, 3% Native American. I have a feeling that most Americans have a small percentage of Native American in their DNA if their earliest ancestors came over in the 1700's, so even Warren is probably not lying when she says she has Native American DNA. I'm guessing that those settlers had a few side liaisons with the Natives to entertain themselves while they migrated west. :wink:
So it turns out Elizabeth Warren does have some Native American ancestry...but...it's only 1/1024th. Ouch. I don't think that justifies the perks she was given in her university years by classifying herself as a 'minority.'

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politi ... story.html

You're more Native American than Elizabeth Warren TC. ;)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

EDIT: Unless Warren knows the actual name of that native ancestor that gave her family that small amount of DNA, she can't claim Cherokee heritage, particularly since DNA doesn't show tribe affiliations. They are not happy about her claim too.

My DNA has a small mix of Native American and Andean (South American) heritage, but it's only 3% if you sum up both North and South American DNA percentages. In fact, I'm more Native than French. :wink:

Here's my map.