HMSS Beagle

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

HMSS Beagle

Post by woodchip »

Thats "Her Majesty's Space Ship" for those who didn't know what HMSS stood for Image
Two days and counting.
Our own landers are not far behind. Stay tuned.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The whichity what?
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

So it's going to be on TV for Boxing Day? Cool, boxing day evenings are usually quite boring.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mr. Perfect:
The whichity what?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The british Mars landing rover. Haven't you paid any attention to the news for the past week or so?
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Not really...
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

It's landed and now the brits are waiting for a signal all is well.
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

It's supposedly there now, but they're waiting for the long distance call... "MOMMY, I'M SCARED! Can I come home now?"

heh

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Last Updated: Thursday, 25 December, 2003, 02:54 GMT

Beagle spacecraft 'reaches Mars'

Beagle 2's inter-planetary journey took six months
The British-built spacecraft Beagle 2 is believed to have touched down on the surface of the planet Mars.
Scientists are awaiting ....
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3344693.stm
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I'm going to say it before anyone else. Image

WE GET SIGNAL!
MAIN SCREEN TURN ON!
BlackFalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BlackFalcon »

We're not gonna get any signals because the Martians keeps turning the probes off...
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

I think it may have bounced one too many times. Image
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Apparently they are going to wait till midnight GMT time. 2 hours 46 minutes remaining.
ouch
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ouch »

Saw this.. I say don't stop looking but it's gone, concentrate on the orbiter mission. Try to get an image of the lander at some point.

C:\>ping Beagle 2

Pinging Beagle 2 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for Beagle 2:
Packets sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\>
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Suddenly some of NASA's recent failures dont look so bad, getting something all the way to mars and then getting it to land on mars and getting it to work is freaking hard to do, and NASA doesnt have the funding to do it right anymore.

Its too bad that it didnt work. I still think that NASA & all are insane wanting to do a manned mission to mars in less then 50 years. We can't even get a robot there 60% of the time!

-Krom
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Krom, I hate to say it but (actually, I love saying it!) you don't have a single clue what you are talking about. The only correct thing you say is that it is freaking hard to land on Mars.

The Beagle2 is a British effort. Nothing to do with NASA. The ENTIRE budget for designing, building, testing, launch and all mission costs is less than 35 Million Pounds Sterling. Around USD 65 Million. (This excludes the co-extant Mars orbiter)

That's less than the Price of a new F-14 Tomcat. For this amount of money you expect successful (soft!) landings on Mars. WTF?

NASA's budget is currently set at around 16 Billion US dollars annually. That's $16,000,000,000.00.

The budget for each NASA (Spirit and Opportunity) rover mission is around USD 600,000,000. That's six - hundred - million - dollars. For this kind of money you *DO* expect to make successful landings on Mars - especially when your last Martian Lander (The MPL) shuit down its engine when still a bit short of the actual ground. Image

Is it worth mentioning that typically, Martian probes will be 9 light minutes of lag away from Earth when they attempt a landing? I guess you already figured that if 300ms lag is tough, then a ping time of 540,000ms is the kiss of death for a remote controlled landing.

This means landings must be made by autonomous mechanisms, without help from human minds. Not just the landing, but the entry and deceleration phase also.

In 50 years time, we'll (Humans) be sending manned mission to the Icy moons of Jupiter and Saturn without difficulty. As to NASA doing it - well, that is up for debate.

As to sending men to Mars (The women will have to wait until we go to Venus Image) inside 50 years? Dear God, if it takes that long it won't EVER happen, because we'll all be riding bicycles everywhere and burning cow dung on our fires to keep warm in the winter time.

A manned Mars mission is actually a piece of cake as far as landing is concerned. Sheeit, we got airless luna landings down pat in the 1960s - and that was using a computer with 8KB of memory running at 1MHz.

With a pilot on hand, landing on Mars is simple. It's getting OFF Mars which is the big issue for manned missions. The big issues I list below (in no order) and please note, landing is NOT one of them:

1) Exposure to radiation both in transit and while on the surface
2) Feeding the crew for 2 years
3) Maintaining the atmosphere
4) Dealing with waste
5) In-Situ Resource Utilisation - making enough fuel to get off Mars using the atmosphere as a resource
6) Providing enough drinking water for the crew. Can we use Martian water? Is it really there?
7) How to prevent humans from "contaminating" Mars.
8) How to prevent Mars contaminating the humans (??????)
9) Maintaining equipment, particularly space suits, and vehicles during the 9 month long stay on the surface.
10) Emergency evacuation of the surface - can it be done?

So, those are the tough nuts to crack. And let's make NO MISTAKE, they are dire problems indeed. But the solutions are "more of the same" rather than new problems. Existing engineering can handle it - the only question is cost.

What cost is the planet prepared to pay to put men on Mars? Current estimates range from 100 Billion for a "flags and footprints" type mission, all the way up to 200 Billion for a prolonged and continuous occupation of Mars - using Buzz Aldrin's "Castle" idea which provides non-stop service to Mars every 18 months - forever.

Personally, I feel that NASA *IS* incapable of sending men to Mars within 15 years, and I hope a mission is mounted by 2020. Why? Because there is not enough off-the-shelf technology to permit a manned Mars mission yet.

NASA needs to develop an extremely robust set of technologies and vehicles/expertise in order to qualify as an institution which should be allowed to make an attempt as a Mars mission.

The way for them to do this is to get back to the Moon and stay there. What is needed is:

1) Heavy Lift Launch technology - providing at least 50 metric tons of payload to Low Earth Orbit. It needs to be largely re-usable, or cheap enough to throw away each time.

2) Safe transfer craft: A permanently orbiting set of craft which cycle between the Moon and Earth on a permanent basis, perfecting the long-service mission which Mars requires.

3) A robust atmospheric re-entry and landing craft. This craft must land vertically, and will be derived from a similar vehicle designed to travel only from the lunar surface to Luna orbit and back again - repeatedly, with low maintenance, which can be serviced by people on the Luna surface.

4) Nuclear Prpulsion - to get our astronauts to and from Mars more quickly, reducing the payload of fuel and food.

5) Reliable methods of recycling waste completely, and growing a percentage of food in zero and low gravity environments.

6) Develop a system which is guaranteed to protect Mars from earth bacteria, and vice versa. This may in actual fact, be by far the hardest thing to achieve, and may prove impossible.

(My personal feeling is that we *will* discover life on Mars, but when we find it, it will be disappointingly similar to Earth-based life. I also think if earth bacteria *CAN* survive on Mars, then this is a GOOD thing, and will allow us to eventually terra-form the planet. Eventually means 1000+ years)

So Krom, stop being such a downer dude - we'll get there. And sooner than you think. Image
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Ok, Who pissed in Mobi's wheaties? Image
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Rumor has it that it didn't work because the antenna got bent, so they're gonna keep trying to make contact with it for a few more days.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Mobi, sometimes you need to read before you put your foot in your mouth. He said this made recent NASA failures not look so bad, which meant that he knew that this wasn't an endevour of NASA.

Don't be so quick to jump on someone until you read AND understand what they've posted.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by llClutchll:
Ok, Who pissed in Mobi's wheaties? Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They don't have wheaties in the land of sheep sex, they have that f'ed up coffee cerial.. FYI
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Tyranny:
<b> Mobi, sometimes you need to read before you put your foot in your mouth. He said this made recent NASA failures not look so bad, which meant that he knew that this wasn't an endevour of NASA.

Don't be so quick to jump on someone until you read AND understand what they've posted.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since when has Mobi not put his foot in his mouth? Image Like Gav, he likes to hear himself talk and look intelligent to everyone....and then gets smacked down back to his proper place. Image
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by STRESSTEST:
They don't have wheaties in the land of sheep sex, they have that f'ed up coffee cerial.. FYI</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh... That explains everything! Image
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

I hope my piss tastes nice with coffee cereal then.

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I think Mobi got it mostly right. The human factor will probably make all the difference in a successful landing attempt. To take Mobi's plan a step further, I think pre-caching supplies and equipment will be a requirement. The Red/Blue/Green Mars book series laid this out fairly well at the start.
With the pre-caching of equipment, we could then plan on a larger human contingent staying a longer period of time. We have demonstrated the ability to get craft to Mars, so now I think it is just a planning and organisational problem. Besides...we have to get there before the chi-coms do. Image
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Nice one, Ouch! Image
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

wait.. re up this thread... I wanna know what Mobi thinks about the landing from the US mission? Oh yeah, and the working equiptment? And the images? And the.... (get my point?) Probably not... One of your arguements was the cost... Well, I'd say throwing more money at it worked in this case, and add to that the US inginuity.. mwahahahaha Think of something clever to say, please.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

On the orignal subject, has there been any word from beagle?
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

None.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Looking grim for the puppy:

"Speaking from the European Space Operations Centre in Darmstadt, Germany, the ESA Science Director, Professor David Southwood, said," I have, I'm afraid, to make a sad announcement, that today, when we were in conditions we thought were very good for getting direct communication between Mars Express - the 'mother ship' - and Beagle 2 - the 'baby' - we did not get any content of a signal, nor indeed a signal from the surface of Mars."