see-thru glass textures and lighting....

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

see-thru glass textures and lighting....

Post by Vander »

Is it possible to make it so that light passes through a glass texture (MeshGlass1 for example) to light up objects on the other side of the glass texture?

Here is a picture to help explain...

To light the space beneath the glass face, I had to put lights below it. Is there any way to make light from the light at the top pass through the glass to light up the pipe?

The glass texture in this picture has the "Force Lightmap" and "Alpha" flags set in the table file I'm using.

Any ideas?
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

never mind, Hostile just gave me the answer. You flip the flip the glass face normal, light it, then flip it back. The glass doesn't get lit properly, but the stuff under gets lit.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Another way to do it, although not feasible for multiplayer levels, is to Toggle Blockage at Portal using DALLAS and have the glass face be a portal face. Then, the glass is created at level runtime, but it is non-existent to D3Edit when you go to light the mine.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Set the texture to use the Saturate Lightmap flag also.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

what does saturate lightmap do?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

i wonder.. can you make the static light have dynamic properties (like the flare)?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I think saturate lightmap makes it so all lighting values on a face are equalized, so the entire face glows with the same radiance. Could be wrong, though.

I believe that lights that are dynamic objects have to be tied to objects. At runtime, the dynamic light is apparently overlaid across the static lighting. It doesn't always work right, of course. When Hawkeye was helping with one of Dark Wolf's levels, she had wanted to do a sequence where the lights would turn off one by one (like in Unreal when you encounter the Skaarj). Hawkeye determined that the one way you could do this was to have objects with certain light properties assigned to them, and then turn them on and off (animation / halted animation?). Sort of like the rotating emergency lights in Level 1, which are off until you complete one of the objectives, and then activate, spinning red light all over the corridors. I'm not sure exactly how such an animation is accomplished, however, but it has been done.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

yeah, and then Hawkeye dumped the project and deleted all the beautiful work he had done.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

yeah, and then Hawkeye dumped the project and deleted all the beautiful work he had done.
Genova Caverns 0.4?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Woooo! A Vander level!