Descent 3: Ultra Pyro-GL

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Just an update so no one thinks I'm dead. ;)

Looking a lot better. Still not perfect but I hope to improve as I go along. :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yes, much better.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Just as a small update, I discovered a few things about my ship this week. I've been sort of artistically tweaking it whenever I had some free time this week to see what else I could do with the textures. I added two oval vents to the nose of the ship (just textured them in), might add two more to the back and 4 on the bottom to look sort-of like mini thrusters for directional thrust. I also, noticed that when observing the original GL, I never did understand the bottom of the ship. Then I looked at a picture of the high resolution model and of the D3 end movie Pyro GL model and noticed that the front of the ship has a slight extrusion on the bottom to make it look bulkier in the front. I did this to my current mesh with very little effect on the polycount. Needless to say, it turned out very nice. :) I'm also considering the idea of re-modeling the wings for scratch and give them a smooth-but more squarish shape like the high-res model has. I thought they were completely smoothed out.

Also in my adventures, I discovered why it is nice to use photography in helping you out with creating textures for models. I found a nice copper texture because I didn't like the ugly copper effect I created for the canopy. I like this texture a lot better. So the above picture will be improved on a lot.

One problem is that I'm not really happy with my UV layout. So I may release a demo version of the ship and later, lay out the UV's again and re-texture it. I may even make a high resolution version of the ship as I talked about earlier. I decided against it before because I was using Catmul-Clark, which can screw up your textures. So, I'm going to look deeper into Blender's multi-res system. It looks fairly primitive though. :\\
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

For the final, textured version. Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?t=12662