Creating custom explosions?

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Creating custom explosions?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

One big thing I need to work on for D3, is animated explosions.

I was wondering, in D3, for weapon explosion animations such as the concussion missile explosions, are we looking at animated sprites (Square polygon that always faces the player)?

I also need a decent tutorial for creating these animated explosions if possible.

In particular, I would like to replace the plasma ring effect you see when plasma blobs int the wall into a sort-of plasma cloud/burst effect.

Edit: It seems that I have found an effect that will work. I will still want to replace the explosion textures down the road and create particles though.

The big question now:

What file type do these explosions/animated textures fall under in the table.gam? Game files, textures, or generic objects? Some must act as sprites while others perform as flat animations. I noticed that the effect I found is called: ExplosionH. It lays flat where other explosion textures are always facing the player.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

it's a texture, more specificly a .oaf (animated). D3IT can create .oaf out of single .tga frames.

if you are searching anything in the .gam, hit ctrl+f and type it in ;)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Plus, I believe you need an alpha channel for the parts that will be see through. Pity you can't make a model for the explosion so you know exactly how close its getting to you.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

look in the texture files. You will see that depending on the explosion, they are often 2 to 3 aof's combined.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hmmm.... I know they are tga's combined into an OAF. I was mostly wondering if anyone has any examples or any information on how to best create this illusion. Apparently, you do need to have a certain amount of frames to make it look as though it is animated but I'm wondering how many should be used and how I should go about making modifications to each image to make it look as though it is a smooth, well-done, animation.

The other problem, is that some explosions lay flat when hitting a surface. Others face the player at all times, so no matter what direction you turn in, it will always face you and appear to be 3-dimensional. The same way the orb is created in D2. The problem, is that the only way I know of to do this, is to create a facing OOF file in D3Edit with the texture on it. Thus, creating a sprite.

This is a weapon explosion so it needs to appear to be 3D. The effect I'm using lays flat in most cases and doesn't look right.
Interceptor6
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Interceptor6 »

You need to uncheck \"planar blast\" under flags for the weapon's page (not the texture) in gamtool. \"planar blast\" is what makes explosions \"stick\" to walls like that.