Silly Question

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Silly Question

Post by Alter-Fox »

I've just been wondering... Has anyone else used the mercenary robots in D3 SP missions? I've seen the welders in Mission At Saturn, but I would like to get some levels with other robots from mercenary.

Sorry, I meant that I got the mercenary robots to work, but I have no compiler for the scripts I plan to put in my mission.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I've tried, but unsuccessfully. Most likely because I was doing something wrong. I would love to see some Mercs bots in a SP lvl.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

After a few tries, I got the Merc bots working. I used Hogview32 to extract the five AIgame.dll files from the mercenary mn3 file, put them in my mission, and the AI worked. I still haven't had a chance to get the mission scripted - I can't find a compiler because my browser couldn't open the site pointed to in the d3sdk. The unscripted version is extremely fun, but I'm not sure how many people would want a tiny, unscripted single player level, no matter if it does have the mercenary robots.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

what site are you trying to access? I think there are a number of us here that can at least e-mail you the tools if you want.

What scripter are you wanting to use?

And I think I have the 3dsdk on my system at home somewhere.

Have you tried HERE?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'm trying to get the virtual compiler. When I tried to get to the site mentioned in the d3sdk, my browser couldn't access it. Also, my mom would kill me if I was emailed by someone I had never met, and my family only has one computer and one email adress. Maybe someone could upload the compiler so I could download it?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

yahoo and google are perfect for one-time email addy's. Make a Descent82736@yahoo.com and use that.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

tryPlanet Descent.

This is their tools page. Fish around and see what you find.

btw, what browser do your folks have set up? It sounds like they may have some security implemented if you're having trouble getting onto a site.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I don't know exactly which browser, but I know there is some sort of security which stops me from playing multiplayer. If it helps, our service provider is Shaw Canada.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Are you using internet explorer? Do you use a router and a modem? The multiplayer can be something simple and different. The inability to access a site is something else entirely.

Are you using Windows Internet Explorer or something like FireFox? (those are browsers)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'm using Internet Explorer. I think my browser actually has some bugs, because it gives me errors when I try to access some sites, including that one.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

what is the error?

There are security settings in IE that can block you from accessing certain sites; depending on the level of security.

..I'm not suggesting you change those. I don't think you're folks would appreciate that if they are the ones that put them in place.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Just as an aside - There is something really interesting with some mercenary robots - specifically the Black Stormtrooper and the Creeper. They're each made of two pieces, which automatically attach - no scripting required! Also, the Creepers do wierd things with lighting.

btw - I found another site which might have the right compiler. I'll see if I can download it when I have time.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Check here: Links page on Prepare For Descent! You will find a zip with both the virtual compiler and the D3SDK. It's under the heading 'D3 Level Editing Tools' about halfway down.

The site mentioned in the D3SDK went down some time ago.

Edit... added link to my D3 Editing page, where it really should have been!;)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I've got it, but I still have a major issue. Which .exe file do I point d3edit to? There are quite a few.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

virtualgcc.exe (pic from my Setting up QuickTest tut)