Sushi: D3 What is the colored noise texture’s file name?

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Sushi: D3 What is the colored noise texture’s file name?

Post by sushi.h.a. »

I am trying to find the file name of the colored noise texture.

When no texture (or a missing texture) is assigned to a wall, you see a texture that looks like colored noise (static), and the texture display area in D3Edit reads \"SAMPLE TEXTURE\". (Note: I’m not talking about the rainbow outrage test texture.)

Does anyone know what the name of this texture is?
Either the OGF file name, or Texture Table Page name, would be a great help. I’ve been searching for a while now so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
-sushi
Nirvana
DBB Harasser
DBB Harasser

Post by Nirvana »

If you can't find it in the ogf file it may be hardcoded.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

it might be. I looked through the textures for an hour and couldn't find it. (there are a LOT of textures).
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

It is not stored as a separate graphics file in any of the hog's. I believe it is hardcoded.
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sushi.h.a. »

I was worried that it might be hardcoded. Is there a way to override it? That is, is there a way to replace it with another texture? I think there may not be, as I’m assuming that the noise texture is designed to be load only for a \"null\" texture pointer, and is therefore likely an embedded recourse in the engine code.

My main reason for asking about this is that I tried moving several level files into a single mission. I have been trying to avoid custom texture conflicts, so initially I did not include any of the custom level content. All I included in the new mission package were the d3l, dll (if any), and msg (if any) files. This should guarantee that the level and its scripts work correctly as far as I know.

Then I sorted the custom texture files that did not conflict with D3 textures out of the rest of the custom texture files. Now I have the non-conflicting custom textures, and the custom texture page files from the mission gam table files, but when Include all that stuff the mission crashes. So as a last resort I figured I could try overrideing the noise texture so it would at least be less obtrusive when it appeared in a level.

Any recommendations?
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

if there is this noise texture, that means that the respective texture is missing. if that is the point, you should be able to add it without problems. if you haven't added the custom replacement textures you would just see the original texture instead of the noise.
that means, as long as you see noise, then there are extra custom textures missing.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I think what he's saying is that, in trying to merge several levels with many custom textures into one, he is running into the problem of D3Edit marking all custom textures with the same \"SAMPLE TEXTURE\" noise. Unfortunately, this dereferences the actual texture it was pointing to and since all custom textures revert to the same noise, it's not a simple search-and-replace.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

A mission is quite different from a level in Descent 3 terms, but that would make sense.