Is there any way to convert the .pol robot files -> 3ds m

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Is there any way to convert the .pol robot files -> 3ds m

Post by jshaner »

Hey-
I have been trying to convert the robot (.pol) files from Descent II and...I have come up with nothing.

Anyone know a way to convert them, if not to a format max can read?
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Someone recreated the models on the descent2.com site. They're not 100% the ones from D2, but they look really close.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Uhhh... not that I've heard of. There's only one tool I know of that converts to .pol, and I don't think any convert from (tiny chance there might be something that converts to a D3-usable format, but I doubt it).

I know the .pol format well enough to do it I guess, but it's a bit of a pain.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

They're so simple it'd be quicker to convert a model by hand than write a tool for it.
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by jshaner »

Sirius wrote:Uhhh... not that I've heard of. There's only one tool I know of that converts to .pol, and I don't think any convert from (tiny chance there might be something that converts to a D3-usable format, but I doubt it).

I know the .pol format well enough to do it I guess, but it's a bit of a pain.
Hmm.....

Well....if i do download the ones from Descent2.com, how would i put the textures on right (in 3ds max)? I have the smelter, but i can't align the textures right.

http://img119.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 909ts6.png
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I forget how I did it, but the textures should have their UVs, so all you should have to do is point it to the dir of the textures, but I'll assume that it's not that easy...
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jshaner »

d3jake wrote:I forget how I did it, but the textures should have their UVs, so all you should have to do is point it to the dir of the textures, but I'll assume that it's not that easy...
Hmmm...the dir of the textures? They are in the folder that was created when i extracted the files from the .exe.

What do you mean by their UV's? That they have where they are supposed to go encoded into them?
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

OH! I remember now, I'll have to start up my 3DS Max to check on it for sure though...

You'll want to import a fresh .3ds for this.

Material Editor -> Get Material
Click on Scene, then in the list you should see the texture(s) of the model(s) in your scene. Select one of the ones from the Smelter and double click. Then you can close that window that you just clicked in and then in the Material Editor click on \"Maps\". Find \"Diffuse Color\" and then click on the grey rectangle to the right of it. That should change what you see and change the window a bit. Under \"Bitmap parameters\" Click on the button next to \"Bitmap:\" and then select your texture file. For multiple textures you just need to repeat this process.

UVs are what tells your game engine, or modling program how the texture lays on the model. Since the model has them already all you have to do is tell them \"Texture X is file x.tga\" or whatever is applicable in your case.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

that model had the textures aligned already before you messed with it. As soon as you used the \"UVW Map\" in the modifier stack you deleted the models stored UVW mapping data. Delete that model - then unzip the original and use UVW Unwrap in the stack if you want to adjust the texture

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jshaner »

d3jake wrote: ...Click on Scene,...
I am sorry, I'm a bit new to this. Where do i click on this? (3DS MAX 8)

.....nvm.....

But....when I click on scene, there are no textures.

?

Is there a way to point to the dir?

Also, how do i set max to import .dxf (the robot files) - (So they are properly flipped)
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jshaner »

How I hate to double-post...but I get the feeling that I will receive no answer if I don't.
jshaner wrote: Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:47 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

d3jake wrote:
...Click on Scene,...

I am sorry, I'm a bit new to this. Where do i click on this? (3DS MAX

.....nvm.....

But....when I click on scene, there are no textures.

?

Is there a way to point to the dir?

Also, how do i set max to import .dxf (the robot files) - (So they are properly flipped)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I doubt that there's any way to point it to the dir, that is to say that I've never found such a feature. I know it'd be a pain, but for models that have more than one texture I've had to set up each one manually. Thankfully the models that I've had don't have too many textures.
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jshaner »

Hmm...I'll just have to play around with it. Thanks anyway!