RESTORATION! My Future Descent 3 Level Project...

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Hatseput
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

RESTORATION! My Future Descent 3 Level Project...

Post by Hatseput »

Hello again, pilots!

Today I am announcing my future D3 project: a restoration project aiming for Descent: First Strike (Main Descent 1 Campaign) levels: 11, 12, 13, and 14, to be restored in Descent 3. PLUS, I also plan to add a preparation level before the level 11.

I have not started to build the project yet, As I am away from home by now. It is only a few days left for me to return home and start. However, the board discussion on Planet Descent continues, under the Development forum... More details can be found in here:

http://www.planetdescent.com/asp/forum_ ... 179&page=1

Stay tuned!

Hatseput
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I would love to see D1 in D3. (With D3-centric weapons excluded)
Hatseput
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Hatseput »

I see Testiculese, yet the only custom things in the project will be the robots, doors, and maybe some new textures... The weapons are not to be changed, in contrast some of the D3 weaponry will be included in some additional secret rooms (Guided missiles, just a few Mortars, etc)... And some gameplay elements will be changed... What do you think? 8)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Cool! I can't wait to play this, good luck!
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Use D3's textures (or custom ones if you can do better), if you can get D1 bots in there, awesome.

As far as weaponry, I was thinking more along the lines of the MD, EMD and Omega. Microwave cannon, mortars? Seems ok, and fun. Depends on how purist you want it. I'd be fine with D1-only weapons, and just forget about the D1 weapons D3 doesn't have...just lasers, plasma, fusion and vauss...conc, homer, and mega. Adding some of the D3 ones in hidden areas would be cool too...again, how pure do you want to go?

I'd like to see the level design exactly as it was, as far as size and shape, however. We've all played D1 single enough that we can fly the whole thing backwards, and any deviation from the dimensions of the original might be frustrating.
Hatseput
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Hatseput »

Thanks, D3Jake and Testiculese;

Testiculese, you said: \"I'd like to see the level design exactly as it was, as far as size and shape, however. We've all played D1 single enough that we can fly the whole thing backwards, and any deviation from the dimensions of the original might be frustrating.\".

Well, let me tell you all, about my plans on this: For the looks, I´m planning to give the spaces as much detail as possible, without ruining the dark atmosphere of D1... For the textures, I´ll mainly rely on D3 textures, yet in some parts I might need custom ones. The weaponry and the Bots: I´m planning exactly like Testiculese said... Yet I´m concerned about the bots with animations (The Lifters!), as I have heard that they require some special tweaking... But It´ll be a later concern on the project.

So in the end, the level design will NOT be \"exactly\" the original one, but will follow and enhance it... I guess this sounds satisfactive? What do you say pilots?
Hatseput
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Hatseput »

Oh BTW, I am finally back at home, I am starting the actual design process in a few days. Stay tuned!!

Hatseput
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Wow. Good luck on Level 14. :lol:
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

Hatseput wrote:I´m concerned about the bots with animations (The Lifters!), as I have heard that they require some special tweaking...
Look to the Stingers and Old Scratches for how D3 did it.
Hatseput
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

The OOF EditorZ

Post by Hatseput »

Hello there again...

OK, I'm having some difficulties with the objects here: The OOF editor does not respond, it gives up an error message:

I've found an alternate editor the alOOF, yet I have no experience on it... Any suggestions?
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Did you try to run the OOF editor with a compatibility thingie turned on for the .exe?
Hatseput
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Hatseput »

Well, I've tried that right now, to no avail... It just refuses to open...

And the alOOF utility does not show the textures?!
Thomas01
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: RESTORATION! My Future Descent 3 Level Project...

Post by Thomas01 »

Hatseput wrote:Today I am announcing my future D3 project: a restoration project aiming for Descent: First Strike (Main Descent 1 Campaign) levels: 11, 12, 13, and 14, to be restored in Descent 3.
This sounds very good. Level 10 has been ported already by Mzero with some corrections by Ragil. Maybe you could include that level too to make it 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14.
RagilRal
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

OOFedit

Post by RagilRal »

Yo,

@Hatseput,
This ActiveX error is bcause a certain
.dll-file wh oofedit needs is not registered
into the system.
First assure, that You have a file called
'SSubTmr.dll' in Your %windir%\\system32.
Then go start->run and enter this:
regsvr32 SSubTmr.dll

Then oofedit is able to start.
Hatseput
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Hatseput »

About the Level 10 of Mzero's,I'd glad to add it, but not in this project; if I were to add that level, that means I need to add the levels 8 and 9 (All Martian mines) too... On the original plan, I'm just going to restore only Jupiter mines... The Martian mines might be a separate project someday, what do you say?

Also, thanks RagilRal, for the information! I can't try it until tomorrow, but after I can show you the door I've made so far:D
Valhalla - Deliverance
Why've you ever forgotten me
(Blind Guardian, \"Valhalla\")
Hatseput
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Hatseput »

RagilRal; The SSubTmr.dll is located correctly in the path. Yet it didn't open as I entered \"regsvr32 SSubTmr.dll\" into \"run\". Instead I received a message telling that the module cannot be found and loaded! :?
RagilRal
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by RagilRal »

Yo,

This is not good :?

-After re-checking, i found that a copy
of the .dll resides in the dir of oofedit
also. I checked my registry, and found
three entries which are pointing to the
.dll in the oofedit-dir.

The copy in the oofedit-dir weighs 27 kB,
while the one in the sys32 dir weighs 40.

Maybe try to register the one from the
oofedit-dir, by including the full path
to it when calling regsvr32.
Hatseput
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Hatseput »

Hi there pilots;

Okay I got better news, I've managed to make some basic objects work in AlOOF program! It does not display the textures for some reason (See above picture), yet the objects made into Descent 3 itself without another problem... with their textures intact! I guess I can go with this for some time, yet still it would be better to see the textures... If you know a way to cure it, please let me know...

Also, for anyone who has some experience with AlOOF; if you can share your knowledge, I'll be appreciated...

The project is progressing slowly, as my school had started. So far I reconstructed a small portion of the Level 12. I might send some screenshots of the primary-work in this weekend or the following one, depending on the workload of the school. Stay tuned!!
Scaler164
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

RAPTURE!

Post by Scaler164 »

Guys,

I'm a new face and new name on the groups... but I've been playing Descent since D1 first came out. Can't get enough of it! I'm 39, and I've recently introduced my 14 year old son to it... who also loves it, and (shamefully) holds his own quite well against this old man!

Anyway, finding out about this project has my interest peaking again, and I'm wanting to find as many user-made levels as possible for my missions folder. I've turned up quite a few so far through web-searches, but I need more... as many as I can find. If anyone can suggest a good source, please contact me. (I have 363 levels so far)

Glad to know I'm not the only die-hard Descent fan out there... and insanely-glad to hear about this project! Lookin' forward to its completion.
Hatseput
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Hatseput »

Welcome aboard, sir!

Okay. I guess I've chattered enough about the project? So, here comes...

DA PICTUREZ!!!:D
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Top row, left to right: One of the connector bridges, inside. Connector bridge, outside; with a glance of the MatCen (Pending Construction). Blue key room (Headight used).
Bottom row, left to right: Glancing to the red access from a side. A shaft, and its lightning system (Headlight used). Entrance.

Here you see the first shots of what will be Level 12 in the end... So far I've made a portion of it.
Also there are thigs to be changed: The level is a bit too dark. And the doors haven't been placed, because I'm yet to construct them. Same goes for the MatCen, Its only a textured cube over there:D

What do you think so far?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

It looks awesome. In my opinion, the darkness makes it look better than the original D1 level. It looks more like an abandoned mine.
Scaler164
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Scaler164 »

It ain't the dark that bites... its the boogie men (robots in our case) IN the dark. So just allow for GAMMA CORRECTION and it should be good as is. Let the gamer decide how dark he can handle it.