May I present to you a new Pyro-GX model for D2

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

May I present to you a new Pyro-GX model for D2

Post by Enzo-03 »

Feast your eyes upon this, for I have not seen a better looking Pyro available for all forms of D2:
You can fly your very own right here: http://enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=592
I will not be severely modifying the model from its current state. At 507 vertices, I cannot do much more (polytron's limit is 512, and yes it is a terrible program).

TODO:
  • Create a version of this Pyro split up into submodels for use as a "destroyed" variant. Note: it's already split up, it's just all in one submodel, like the stock Pyro-GX used as a player model. I just have a problem with crappytron refusing to save a version with multiple submodels, though I wonder if I just need to make sure all chunks are completely sealed.
  • Perhaps make some finishing touches on texture alignment.
  • If there is a way to do so, I would like to make use of various tools including COB2PM to see if I can make proper BSP Tree data or.. is that what it's called? I don't know since I'm not currently on a computer with the polytron manual that explains it. I would really like to see if I could make the model actually look okay on DOS D2, which it does not, and I'm not sure if Rebirth's software renderer has the same problem with sorting out render order for parts of a polymodel. I might ask Ryusei if he can help me out with setting up a version of Rebirth that uses software rendering, since he always uses software renderer.
Special thanks to JinX, Blarget2, Descent Freak/Shadow Hyena, and Obi-Wan Kenobi/Gold Leader/Tylosaurus_DTF for playtesting, and extra thanks to Obi/Gold Leader/Tylo for the screenshot.
We will not have signatures in the future.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: May I present to you a new Pyro-GX model for D2

Post by Sirius »

Since COB2PM is a converter it may not prove too useful unless you like rebuilding the model in another format. I'm not sure there is a way out into the wider world: I recall a tool that was able to convert from POL to OOF, but not sure whether there's a converter from that to a common format.

It's still possible to fix a model up after it comes out of Polytron, in theory... no good way to do it at present though. I had a tool to work with models at a lower level but never did get to any BSP aids for it (so you'd have to do it manually) and it also seemed to have some problem with occasionally causing D2 rendering bugs that I never figured out.