Creating custom light source textures

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Creating custom light source textures

Post by Xfing »

How to do that?

On this screenshot you see the D1 door lights I used, and a light next to them. The light generates brightness, but the door textures don't. What properties to edit in order to make them brighter without affecting the background texture? I think I used to have this down, just forgot how to do this. Then again, maybe not :P
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: Creating custom light source textures

Post by Alter-Fox »

In DLE-XP, you need to adjust the brightness the same way you'd adjust the brightness of a primary texture. The only difference is, before you adjust the brightness uncheck the "use primary texture" box (it might be called "use 1st", it's under the texture selection drop-down) and check the "use secondary texture" box beneath it. If that doesn't work for whatever reason; create a cube that's separate from the rest of the level, assign the texture to a primary texture for one wall of the cube, adjust its brightness that way, and then make sure to apply the texture as a secondary texture somewhere in your map before you delete that cube. And don't forget to set the colour for those of us who'll be playing your map in D2X-XL.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I'll try the second option and see if it works. Thanks in advance!
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Nah, didn't work :( I did as you said. Created a cube which wasn't connected to any other cube, chose the door light as the primary texture, checked "Use 1st", set the brightness to 100% with the slider, then reapplied the texture in one place within the mine. It's still dark. Then I tried to recompute lighting by clicking "apply", still nothing changed.

I'll try to do it in an earlier version of DLE-XP.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Ok, did it. As suspected, I required the 1.7.78 to do this, as in the new version it doesn't seem to work. Damn, too bad, the 1.11s have uncomparably better mine navigation than the earlier one does. But the old version seems more stable and reliable anyway. What good is the freedom of movement around the mine if you can't even set lights properly or load custom textures? -__-

Reported this and the texture breaking on their forum.