help with mission builder II

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
gozinta82
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

help with mission builder II

Post by gozinta82 »

hi everyone! i just started playing descent again because im totally in the mood for playing old school games, then the other day, i thought, hey why not make a few levels for descent 1 if they have an editor out? so i found one called "mission builder II" and it only allows me to make about 100 cubes before i cant save it anymore...

i went to the site and i cant buy it from interplay anymore.. :(. if there is anything i can do to get a registered version, one way or another, please help me out. I would greatly appreciate it.

if theres another editor just as good that i dont know about, please tell me, i would like to edit descent 1 levels with it.

thanks again,
goz :(
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Here, try this:

http://www.brainware.net/descent/newguide

I think what you want is version 2.6.
lars
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Another editor

Post by lars »

There is Devil:
http://hjem.get2net.dk/dittehus/lac/dvl22lc2.zip

You dont want to try to use Devil without reading the tutorial made by Luke Schneider:
http://hjem.get2net.dk/dittehus/lac/tutorial/index.htm
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Devil is pretty hopeless on Windows NT/2000/XP machines though, unfortunately. For those, DMB2 is strongly recommended.

Actually, in almost any case, I would recommend DMB2. Not only does it not crash, but it's very easy to build without paying attention to the grid (in Devil, things had to pretty much align with this invisible grid and movements were always relative to it, so building at an angle was sometimes difficult). Only a couple problems with DMB2. One, it likes to overwrite extraneous stuff in the HOG file, so if you have things like briefings and stuff, save those until the end before adding them. And two, it can get very cluttered when you have a lot of submenus going.

But no one can deny that real-time lighting for the whole mine is pretty neat.

Maybe one day, some brave soul will try to port Devil's ugly C code to Windows. :P
lars
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by lars »

Ah yes, I forgot that not many people still run Win98 like I do. Devil wont work in any newer windows as far as I know.

Porting it to windows... heh don't look at me. I can somewhat read the code, except for the graphic part and that's what need to be portet.
Besides I have a life :)
gozinta82
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

its all good

Post by gozinta82 »

thanks for the help, i just bought the package of descent 1 and 2 with the full level editor dmbII. so im good to go

goz
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

An upgrade to DMB2 will be available pretty soon, fixing a lot of problems it has, and adding quite some useful new stuff.

Afaik Bryan Aamot plans to make it publicly available, as the times of D2/DMB2 are long over.
gozinta82
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

cool beans

Post by gozinta82 »

thanks for the input, im looking forward to the update...

later,
goz 8)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Until DLE-XP (the new editor) is tested, check out the demo if you like. :)